"Gotham" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

And here, Fone, I thought that Gotham would have lost you with Penguin's bone-headed License of Misconduct business, an idea that could only work in the context of an outright parody such as Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. And, btw, the late Pratchett's estate should look into suing the producers of Gotham for plagiarism, unless they had a License of Misconduct from the Thieves' Guild of Ankh-Morpork.

#21 Otaku-sempai, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Oh, it totally did. I didn't post my review of the premiere on Toon Zone but I thought it was the dumbest thing ever.

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Gotham "A Dark Knight: Stop Hitting Yourself"

3 weeks out of 4, Gotham is the worst superhero show on the air, and often ever (depending on how bad the week is). But about 1 in 4 episodes is actually pretty good for what it is. That was (mostly) this week.
    \
    Let's get the gripes out of the way first: The Lee stuff. I've blathered over and over again at how wrong the writers are doing by the character, but let's just say it is still terrible.

I kind of feel that if Jim were actually Harvey's friend, or even a halfway worthwhile human being, he would have broken the news to him gently at the end, instead of theatrically relieving him of duty. I think the producers thought it was a big moment. And it was. About as big a moment as Jim's first degree murder of Mario Falcone. That doesn't mean Jim isn't also detestable for it.

But I do see the logic of taking the job. Harvey is fired, and the GCPD will only function with either him or Harvey in charge. If it isn't Harvey, it has to be him. It's in the entire department's best interest that he accept, instead of one of Penguin's goons. Usually when Jim acts like he's better than the mobster who did him a favor at the end of the episode, I always am SO angry at him for accepting the favor, and pretending he has the high ground when he is exactly as crooked at the mobster he's judging. Except, in this case, he didn't actually ask or want Sophia to do that for him, and it probably caused a lot of personal problems for him. This is the one time I feel he has absolutely earned his ingratitude.

I love the Grundy stuff, because he's like Butch for a split second, (even talking like him) and then Tabby knocks him all up the hell out. As much as I loved the moment, I think it was probably a narrative mistake. Because now I'll want more of those moments. And the premise of Solomon Grundy means they are not coming.

I think if Riddler even had a lick of common sense, he'd understand exactly WHY he shouldn't have Grundy fight Tabitha, and what a threat to the fiction he's created for his puppet she is. It's a good thing he's dumb, and doesn't mind the idea of giving them an extended moment of close contact (no matter what it is). If Tabby hadn't knocked him out at "Tabby?" Ed may have been screwed.

Love that Penguin kills the guy who called Ed the Riddler, and I love that the girls can get away with laughing about it because they actually knew Ed. I like that Selina isn't scared of Penguin for a split second, even when he has the letter opener in the guy's neck. She thinks he's nothing special. And she's right.

Interesting that Penguin insisting he and the kid weren't friends is the thing that made him second guess Sophia. He's suspected her many times before, but the difference there is that he believed she was outwardly out to get him, and building an army to kill him and take his place. She doesn't actually need to do that to get the power she is looking for. I am less impressed that Oswald figured it out with no outside help, and more annoyed that it even took him this long.

Chickens. Friendship. Humbug.

Okay, officially over Bridget. My sympathy for her and her Firefly plight is long gone. Maybe the writers dropped the ball there, but Selina didn't seem too heartbroken either, so it's more than likely that she simply is not a character worth caring about.

A rare good week. Not perfect, but it's this show. About the best that can be expected. ****.

4. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Gotham is on now!

[​IMG]
    "Let Them Eat Pie"
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    Professor Pyg tries to involve Jim Gordon as much as possible during his torment over Gotham City.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Gotham "A Dark Knight: Let Them Eat Pie"

Some nice moments, but that was overall dumb.

Let's get to nice moments first. Penguin's very sincere scene with Martine was fantastic. He wants to believe this kid, and I think he does finally want a real friend in him. And he is so vulnerable in that moment. I also liked him stabbing the guy for saying, "Who cares if some urchin gets killed?" and instantly (however briefly) forgiving Sophia's betrayal because she was willing to eat human pie.

But seriously, the Pyg stuff is dumb. Hannibal: The Series pretty much guessed that human beings taste delicious. Cows taste great because they eat sweet corn. All of the wonderful things we eat probably make our flesh taste delicious if prepared properly. A much better idea than Pyg's dish making them gag is them surprisingly enjoying it and being disturbed by it. Pyg must be a terrible cook.

Or maybe they just plain enjoy it, and say so, and it turns out to be poison. That would have been much more interesting.

Also, Pyg's plan made no sense. It was to show how horrible the rich are that they eat the poor. Well, he's the one who killed the poor and is making them eat it. There is no lesson there. The rich being forced to do that aren't the monsters. Pyg is. It is a far cry from him punishing crooked cops. You could almost argue his mission then was righteous. But his "plan" as it were, not only was dumb, but it was completely inconsistent with how the character was set up.

Bruce Wayne is a terrible human being. He actually pulls the "be the butler" card. This show has a lot to answer for in making Gordon suck so much, but I refuse to accept that being attached to Bruce too. This show is the worst.

Mostly negative impression. **1/2.

#25 Fone Bone, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 12:43 AM