1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Gotham" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 21, 2017.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

The rise of the Dark Knight on Gotham began tonight at 8 p.m. ET on FOX, as the show moves to Thursdays for season four.

'Like' Gotham on Facebook
    'Follow' Gotham on Twitter

[​IMG]

"A Dark Knight: Pax Penguina" - Season Premiere

Thursday, September 21, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    Gordon worries that Jonathan Crane may still be alive and in Gotham once again after a string of robberies seem to be committed by The Scarecrow.

Season One finale "All Happy Families Are Alike" talkback
    Season Two talkback
    Season Three talkback

FOX.com/Gotham

2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Gotham "A Dark Knight: Pax Penguina"

You want to get technical, this episode had some merit (Victor Zsasz's love of pepperoni, Bruce apologizing to Selina on the ledge, Penguin's nightmare vision of Riddler, Penguin saying Bruce had a good heart, Gordon and Frank's bemused reactions to the ridiculous robbery in the coffee shop in broad daylight) but this is mostly as dumb as the show at its worst. Licenses for crime are one of the stupidest ideas the show has ever come up with. I'd probably be madder if I believed that the comic didn't do something like that at some point. But upon hearing that idea, I was basically like "This show doesn't think very much of me."

Ivy and Butch are no longer series regulars. I especially am going to miss seeing Drew Powell on a regular basis. But maybe the Solomon Grundy thing will make up for it.

Prediction: This season of Gotham is going to be just as bad as the previous three. I see no signs of improvement, and with Cannon and Heller still running things, there won't be anytime soon. **1/2.

#2 Fone Bone, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  3. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Gotham #4.2 was tonight. Talk about it here.

[​IMG]

"The Fear Reaper"

Thursday, September 28, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    Gordon tries to bring in Jonathan Crane as a part of his plan to prove that the GCPD still holds power.

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I want someone at WB to seriously explain this to me:

Halfway through season 1 of Gotham, we got Dick Grayson's parents as teenagers. This season we have "Batboy". Why is there no hesitation or reluctance to do these things, yet there continues to be hesitation and reluctance to (legitimately) do Robin in a live action Batman movie?

5. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

We did have Dick Grayson as Robin in Batman Forever and Batman & Robin (if not as the Boy/Teen Wonder). Granted, he was closer to Nightwing than Robin even in the first of the two films even if he did have the costume.

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Gotham "A Dark Knight: The Fear Reaper"

Not terrible.

I love that Victor Zsasz takes the gun without paying for it.

I was a little upset Barbara was still alive. Seeming to kill her off was one of the few right things the finale did last year. But I confess I liked her not flinching during Tabitha's hand bluff.

Love that Lucius knows what is actually going on. Lightweight bulletproof armor will be very handy for dangerous rock-climbing.

I don't blame Harvey not going with Jim for the reason he stated. At least he offered to take him out for drinks. Getting drunk sounds like a good idea.

The episode and the show gets major props from me for having Crane have black face paint around his eyes when he took off his mask. Most other superheroes do the continuity glitch of the hero having black guyliner under their mask and it magically disappearing when they remove it. This is the first superhero project I've seen do it properly.

Italians don't forget things like that. Good observation.

Does water seem like an incredibly weak fear toxin cure to anyone else? It's like the writers weren't even trying with that.

Decent week. ***1/2.

7. adrainsmith

adrainsmith New Member

This is my favourite TV Shows Because this is a solid, confidently made television, the kind ofprogramming that has me interested in where it's going next thanks to high production values and an expertly assembled cast.
    You can watch it online at FANdemonium Network

8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

New Gotham! Right now on FOX.

[​IMG]

"They Who Hide Behind Masks"

Thursday, October 5, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    Gordon goes to Miami in order to convince Falcone to provide assistance in the battle against Penguin, but Falcone's daughter follows him back to Gotham.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Gotham "A Dark Knight: They Who Hide Behind Masks"

All things considered, I hated that. It was horrible. Technically it wasn't COMPLETELY horrible, but the parts that WERE horrible, were SO horrible, that the parts that weren't had no way to make up for it. Let's start with the bad:

Jim Gordon. Worst character on the show, and one of the most obnoxious characters on television. I think the Razzies should start branching out into television. Ben McKenzie would dominate them if they did that. He is awful on every level. What kind of Commissioner Gordon actor so hammily overacts the part? What of the reasonable and noble Commissioner Gordon character made McKenzie "Lemme play this guy as over-the-top and crazy as possible"? I think Danny Cannon and Bruno Heller deserve a LOT of scorn for how badly they are damaging the Batman mythos week after week. But the truth is, the show might not be the disaster it is if it had a competent actor and likable character as a lead.

Here Gordon's struts into Falcone's Manor, big as you please, says "I'm James Gordon, Falcone is NOT expecting me," and acts like he's owed the world from the guy whose son he murdered. I would not have blamed Falcone for putting a bullet in his head for how disrespectful he was being in his house.

But I could almost forgive it if the show went and said Jim was a bad guy for acting this way. Instead Mario's sister Sophia FORGIVES him, which shows that the writers of this show suck at their job and their lives as human beings. They had her forgive Jim so the audience would. But the truth is, she SHOULDN'T have forgiven Jim. It was a bad shooting. It was murder. Yeah, Lee was in potential danger, but that did not require a head shot. Even shouting a warning may have sufficed. And if it didn't, go from there. But the truth is the first thing he did is shoot Mario in the head, and he did it because he was jealous. And he did it after blackmailing Mario's location out of Carmine after swearing to him up and down that he wouldn't kill him. Why would the show have Sophia forgive that? Why do the producers think I WANT her to?

I was kind of surprised that Myrtle's riddles were so bad. They actually more bordered on jokes. But then the episode reveals that was the point. The Riddler couldn't even solve riddles from kiddie joke books.

Can I just say how stupid that book looked? A jokebook of Riddles for children has the same gothic binding as a first edition copy of a classic novel from the 1800's? Really, the show thinks nothing of me.

Still, I love that Victor Zsasz is the one who guesses the frog in a blender riddle correctly. Victor Zsasz is currently the best character on the show, which means they are going to kill him off soon. They did it with Moroni, they did it with Young Ivy, they did it with Butch. On the rare occasions the show catches lightning in a bottle with a cast member, they get rid of them to give us an overacting Michael Chiklis or Samuel Benedict, as if that's remotely comparable to the loss of Moroni or kid Ivy. And it's non-stop. This show sucks. You're on a clock, Victor. You are too good for this show.

I thought Bruce's Brooklyn accent was horrid, until the show says that that's the point. As of now, Bruce sucks at this. I really enjoyed the scene of Bruce playing the spoiled brat for the first time in his entire life. As he noted, it was kind of fun! And this is where the doofy playboy Bruce Wayne is born. Maybe Bruce doesn't dislike this performance as much as previous Batman projects hint. Because, it's got be be fun to be that deliberately sucky to that many people and get away with it because you're rich. Maybe I'd feel differently if Bruce wasn't out saving the world every night, but as of now, I kind of like this punk kid rubbing the socialites' noses in it.

For the record, the show thinking it was fooling ANYONE into thinking Barbara's silent partner was anybody but Ra's is only fooling themselves. The fact that she's actually alive means Ra's is the only person it could have been. By the way, them making out at the end quicked me out. I sort of felt both of them could do better (and worse). It was all kinds of ick.

Bad week. *.

10. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

I like the brief origin story for Ra's.
    Also Crystal Reed is alot more Beautiful then the comic book version of Sofia Falcone.

11. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

"The Demon's Head"

Thursday, October 12, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on FOX
    Bruce tries to learn the true meaning of a prized knife placed in an auction, but he accidentally places a historian and his grandson's lives in danger.

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Gotham “A Dark Knight: The Demon’s Head”

Well, Ben McKenzie is a better writer than he is an actor. He’d kind of have to be, considering how much his acting sucks, but the story here was totally not terrible.

I kind of like Sophia listing to Penguin the reasons her father would not have killed those men in his place. It sort of said that Penguin sucked at his job, which is true. And Penguin’s response is the lame snarl of “Things are different now!” and I was like, “Yeah. Worse. Stupider.” It annoys me that the producers are trying to convince me the Penguin is a chess master on the Gotham Game Of Thrones. Because he’s actually really dumb. It’s sort of appalling he’s gotten as far as he has.

What a lame excuse for Bullock’s absence. I really hate that Gotham refuses to pay enough money for each of the actors to appear in every episode. There ARE a lot of cast members, but they should still appear in the episodes that they should. Who is Harper and why is she temporarily Jim’s boss? What storytelling avenue does that serve? There isn’t even any juicy conflict wrung from it. The only avenue that served was saving the producers money. And if it’s that obvious that is what is going on, I think that’s bad.

Anubis freaks me out about as much as the Rubberman from American Horror Story. And for the same reasons.

What do I think of our first full episode glimpse of Ra’s Al Ghul? I predict fans will hate a Ra’s played as over the top snarky and colorful by Alexander Siddig as David Tennant did the Tenth Doctor, but have we ever seen that in Ra’s before? No. So that makes what he is going to do instantly unpredictable, which is good. It’s something I haven’t seen yet. I like that fact.

Speaking of which, have we ever seen Ra’s imprisoned before? I don’t know about the comics, but it’s never happened in any media I’m familiar with. Ditto him in a police station.

I think Bruce should have given Ra’s the knife. If I didn’t think he was eventually going to get it, I’d think differently, but there is a 99% chance Ra’s DOES get that knife by the end of the season anyways, so Alex’s death will be pointless. Heck, the way things are going, I bet Ra’s gets it by the midseason. Bruce is only putting off the inevitable, and a kid was not worth that sacrifice.

Good for the show to have the kid outright say early on that Bruce should not give Ra’s the knife for any reason, just to make it clear that Bruce is not betraying him. He’s honoring his wishes. As bad as I felt for the kid dying, he did it by being brave and NOT begging Bruce to hand over the knife. It appeared to brush by Bruce, who usually insightfully notices stuff like that, but it’s the fact that a scared kid like Alex refused to beg Bruce to do the wrong thing to save him, which is why Bruce is much less culpable for that tragedy than he thinks he is.

Two Victors. That’s weird. I’m not alone thinking that’s weird, right? It’s not as weird as two Harveys (by a longshot) but it’s still weird. At least Martha Wayne and Martha Kent are in different comic books.

Love Penguin still refusing to say the word “Riddler”. One of the few smart things he did this episode. Because If Ed ever gets the smarts back, he’d be able to take solace that at one point, Oswald actually said the name. But Oswald isn’t even gonna give him that. Just in case.

I actually liked the episode. ****.