1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotham "Pilot" Series Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Sep 22, 2014.

?

"Gotham" Series Premiere - Rate and Comment!

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

10.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

30.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

10.0%
  7. **

10.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Finally caught in on Hulu. I think my only real complaint is that they introduce too many characters and the scenes zip from one to the next a lot faster than I would have liked. It could have killed for more slower moments. That said, I liked the overall premise. Gotham Central was an excellent comic series, so it's cool to see things from the Gotham police. Gordon and Bullock's interaction were sound and I like the two bouncing off each other. I can see Bullock slowly easing Gordon into the inner workings of a cynical city like Gotham while Gordon may influence his general kindness into the old rogue. But I'm also impressed Gordon can be pragmatic and clever when he needs to be and tricking Bullock by "killing" Penguin was an intriguing move to say the least that didn't necessarily compromise his integrity.

Also, I really dug Edward Ngyma and Oswald Cobberpot's actors. I think they both pull off their roles well, especially the first who certainly feels like a step below full insanity. I also love Selina's outfit. Somehow goggles on a hoodie jacket really work better than I thought.

2. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Danny Cannon? The guy who made the 1990s Judge Dredd movie at the height of Stallone's popularity? Damn, TV is sure a second life these days.

Louge is an inspired piece of casting, his Bullock is a fantastic grizzled detective, though making him the veteran and Gordon the rookie is odd, but I guess that they wanted someone from the comics and wanted the rookie and vet /cynic and idealist dynamic to play up on the show with the noir tropes. Sort of like the "no one is quite sure what time period this is" design aesthetic. Cell phones, but CRT TVs, vaguely retro and 1930s-ish but with computers and digital cameras, but they use newspapers.

The problem with the whole prequel concept is the inevitability of where everyone is going to end up, it's sort of like connecting the dots. It takes a really skilled filmmaker to do that and not make it feel too by-the-numbers. Frankly, a series of tales about Bruce training might be more interesting, but at least we haven't had to deal with the Smallville soap opera yet. I think the trick is going to be there tone of the show-are they doing noir crime stories or a superhero prequel? Working that balance will be quite the tightrope act. Giant two alums from The Wire, it looks like they're shooting for the former, but I have a feeling network mandates may say otherwise. Love the moral ambiguity of the mob owning half the city. "So taking down half the government will make things better?" "Do a bad thing to do a good thing?" Nice shot of reality in a comic book world where usually, the good guys and bad guys are more clearly drawn. I have a feel eventually, it'll have so set clearer lines, but for now, nice touch. What the hell is with cockney Alfred though? That's odd. Strong premier. They have me for now, anyway.

I'm thinking that there may come a point when ratings slip and Fox mandates a shift in tone from a cop show to more superhero stuff. I suppose it's too much to hope that Brubaker or Rucka will write an ep ;)?