1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Gotham" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by GWOtaku, Sep 24, 2013.

1. langden alger

langden alger Active Member

I could see this show really working if the already established villains are Falcone and Maroni as the main mob bosses when Gordon enters Gotham. These guys could have tons of dirty cops and politicians in they're back pocket that Gordon has to deal with while trying to take them down in a first season....He could also prob. deal with Rupert Thorne in some eps. ...meanwhile he has to deal with criminals like Mr. Zsasz Black Mask and The Penguin who keeps a front as an 'upstanding public figure' who's secretly running a huge crime ring......I would also cap off most episodes with some kind of prologue following a twisted young thug version of the Joker who we see transform into the super villain we all know. He could maybe start out as a criminal who has a 'flair for the dramatic, wearing make-up and loud clothes and slowly he gets crazier and more dangerous as he gets more of Gordon's attention....I think if Batman isn't seen then a good show could still maybe be molded with something like this.

2. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

I like this. I think there's a lot of potential. How great would it be to get Bryan Cranston as Gordon? Instant audience right there. And he's perfect for the part. I guess they'd have to do some "de-aging" via makeup or digital effects (a la X3 with Magneto and Prof. X), but it's achievable.

And this could even show Bruce Wayne's origin without re-doing it in a movie. Well, I mean it could show the death of his parents. That was Gordon's case. I think they added that little bit of info into the New 52 canon, did they not?

Anyway, I don't want an Arrow series or a Flash series to be connected. I just think they're kinda cheap. Superhero antics on TV? No thanks. But a character driven Jim Gordon show? Displaying the corruption of Gotham pre-Batman in all of its glory? Obviously being a period piece (80s-90s)? Yes please. It could even feature Wayne Enterprises in all of its decadent glory pre-Bruce Wayne's management. Maybe Lucius could cameo a couple of times? It's got potential. I'll say that.

Wondering how it wound end up on Fox, but thank God it's not the CW.

3. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

This could work. Of it happens I can see the gangster villains show up from time to time.

Of course Fox is a problem (well its a problem with every channel but Fox has the reputation) in that it might not last long, maybe only a season if it does not catch on quickly.

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Deaging effects are way too expensive for a TV show, even if we're talking about WB.

5. gmster

gmster Active Member

Fox's 'Gotham' To Feature Classic Batman Characters

The show will also go by Smallville: Electric Boogaloo.

6. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

So long as the work is good I really don't mind if they indulge in Batman villains.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Suddenly, I'm a little more interested in this show. So it sounds like the main focus is going to be on both Gordon and Bruce, while also chronicling Bruce's journey to becoming Batman.

It's nice to hear that they have a set end for the series, with Bruce putting on the Batsuit, though I wonder if they have a set number of seasons?

If they're covering the origins of various villains, I'm very interested, and almost wary, to see how they handle Joker.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I can imagine a lot of critics will bash the show as ripping off Smallville's ending... but that is very confident of them to declare they have an ending.

Can/Should they even do the Joker considering how his origin is tied to Batman and Ace Chemical (or alternatively as a response to Batman in the Nolanverse)? I would think the best compromise is he may appear in the form of Jack Napier and/or Red Hood.

9. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

10. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Sounds like good news. I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Hopefully this series has a better start then Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

11. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I still don't get it. If they're going to include Batman villains (who almost always debut AFTER Batman makes his first appearance), why aren't they just doing a straight up Gotham Central adaptation?

12. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

That's not what they are going for apparently.

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Unlike Gotham Central, this series sounds like less of a police procedural, though it will have that element, and more about Gordon and Bruce developing into the figures they are in the comics.

So, yeah, that's probably why it's not called Gotham Central :sweat:.

14. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

The Penguin and Alfred has been cast. Robin Lord Taylor will be the Penguin while Sean Pertwee will play Alfred. Also joining the cast is Zabryna Guevarra as Gordon boss and Erin Richards as Gordon love interest.

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So will Cobblepot get progressively fatter and shorter as the series continues ;)?

I can see they're setting up a love triangle between Gordon, Barbara, and Sarah. Though considering how Jim needs to have his kids, especially Batgirl, I don't see Sarah winning over the series. Especially since their affair doesn't happen in the comics until Batman's first year. Not to say that will stop them though :sweat:.

16. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

17. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Well Babs was adopted, wasn't she?

18. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Donal Logue is a great choice. He's a personable actor so I'm going to love seeing him play Bullock.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, depending on the continuity, though I think she's primarily always been his biological daughter.

20. gin sensei

gin sensei New Member

I've gotta say I'm loving the casting so far. Ben Mckenzie has proven that he can play a convincing cop and Donal is an awesome character actor who I'm willing to watch in anything since his seeing him in Terriers. I also really like how they are going with the Batman Earth One take on Alfred (ex marine badass). I just wish this show was on cable!