1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Gotham" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by GWOtaku, Sep 24, 2013.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Say hello to the next live-action series connected to the DC universe. Word via Deadline is that Fox has scored a TV deal with Warner Bros for a series entitled Gotham.

The interesting twist here is that the show will follow the career of James Gordon, but as a police detective before he is appointed Commissioner (think Batman: Year One, I'd say). This is also before he ever meets Batman, who supposedly is not intended to appear at all, whereas the show will purportedly explore the origins of some of Gotham City's notorious criminals.

Personally, I always envisioned an idea like this as including the Bat family but always never leaving the perspective of the police force, basically an evolved and ideal version of that one comic Gotham Central. But this sounds good and it's got potential. The more film noir-ish and intense the better, I say. Play this angle up for all it's worth and you've got quite a show. I'll be interested to see what comes of this thing.

The English screenwriter Bruno Heller is attached to the series, heretofore mostly noted for his work on The Mentalist and Rome.

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Even before I'd ever heard of the Gotham Central comic book, I used to think how cool it'd be to have a GCPD crime drama show, with Gordon, Bullock and Montoya as the lead characters. It always seemed like such an obvious idea to me. I will definitely look forward to this.

3. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm with Michael in that I actually think an idea like this is good. It certainly interests me more than say SHIELD. Odd that it's on FOX but when you think about it makes more sense.

4. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Oh, hell yes! I hope Bullock and Montoya are involved. Ooh, I suppose Falcone, Sal Marone, and friends will be the mob heads here?

5. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I'd watch this. Fund it.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

On Fox? Surprised CW didn't get the show. Interesting premise and I'm all for seeing Gordon in the spotlight.

7. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

Sounds like a response to Agents of SHIELD (a show in a superhero universe without the superheroes in it) but if done right could be very interesting. Hopefully it would be done in a way to separate it from the slew of other crime investigation dramas on TV.

8. gmster

gmster Active Member

Fox outbid them.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Mm, yeah, makes sense. Would have been nice for CW to create a DC triumvirate with Arrow and Flash but not meant to be. Wonder if SyFy is still doing that Booster Gold one... There could be 3-4 live action DC shows on TV in the near future!

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first read this.

Meh, if this gets greenlit, I'll likely pass on it. I've never been big on cop dramas, and I can't say I'm a fan of this new trend of shows set in superhero universes minus the superheroes. Agents of S.H.I..E.L.D. at least has high-tech gadgets and stuff to keep me mildly interested for a while.

11. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I wish they were doing more adapting/inspiring of the Gotham Central comic series than just doing early days Jim Gordon. I think a Gotham Central format would give the show more options and just be better. I'm sure they didnt want to do that because Batman is in it, but I still dont see why that's such a problem. Make Batman's role as minimal as possible and show the viewers that the Gotham police force actually do their work and not let Batman do it for them. The conversations and plots regarding the "politics" of Batman "working" with the police would be interesting. The end of the first issue comes to mind when the file girl has to turn on the Batsignal because the Police can't officially acknowledge Batman's existence.

I'll be tuning in, and I hope the show is tweaked to include Bullock, Montoya, Havery Dent, etc. I want to see other familiar characters, not just Jim Gordon. If Gordon will be taking on Batman villians who appear in a legit familiar fashion, I still wont get the point of doing that over a Gotham Central show with Batman in it. If all the parties involved dont want Batman in it, and that's the only reason why they aren't straight up doing Gotham Central, just have the series take place during the DAY.

I'm sure most obvious why they want no Batman is because of his current film appearances. Given the recent "outrage" of Affleck being the next Batman on film, and these movies being made by incompetent individuals (in my opinion), is there really a reason why we cant have another/different Batman on TV alongside film?

12. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

I wouldn't be surprised if several seasons in we get batman, at least as a siloette, with his presence felt.

13. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

Some people pointed out online that the whole premise of the show kind of contradicts the well-established plot point of Batman being a big reason all the superfreaks are drawn out of hiding and into Gotham. I realize WB probably doesn't want another actor playing Batman while they're trying to somehow build hype for Ben Affleck, but I don't see why they cant have the Dark Knight play a role off camera. Heck, they could just have some stuntman dress up as Bats and have him appear for a few seconds at a time without ever showing his face or having him speak. And with that kind of approach, you could easily say that the show is just a prequel to the new movie continuity, at least until Batfleck vs Supes comes along and almost certainly contradicts much of it.

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think I'll watch it, but its cool that DC might have a show to rival Agents of SHIELD.

15. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

After watching Shield I was going to make the joke that D.C. is probably kicking themselves for not coming up with "CSI:Batcave"

This all sound pre-Batman, so maybe we'll have the young Bruce Wayne continually being witness to crime he isn't prepared to stop and learning valuable lessons.
    Depending on how they handle it, I would love to see his parents in a series.

I think they want to play it safe by doing something Batman related.
    I thought a series with The Question would have all kinds of potential, but probably would be too similar to this. Maybe there's a way they can use the Question and he became a regular to counterbalance all the criminals threats.

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I'd be more interested in a proper Gotham Central show than a series centered around Gordon's early years.

An adaption of Gotham Central, I think, would be a much better way of competing with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. than just focusing on a Gotham before Batman and its recognizable Supervillains appeared. I think focusing on the human and police reactions to Batman and his world is something that should get explored more.

The premise kind of reminds me of Smallville, though I would hope we're not in for multiple seasons of Batman villains debuting well before he actually shows up in Gotham. Though I am curious to see what the creators will do with Bruce Wayne.

17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Gotham interests me. Perhaps it's a good thing Fox had the winning bid. A good crime drama will always work.

18. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

A Batman show without Batman? Yeah that didn't work so well for Birds of Prey. At least have him making cameos like in Gotham Central.

19. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Wasn't there a plan to make a Gotham Central show a few years back, or am I just thinking of Birds Of Prey?

20. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

I'm pretty sure those rumours crop up every year or so. I know for sure there were some rumours this year and last year, and I think one around the time of The Dark Knight (so maybe 2008 or 2009?)

Anyways, I just hope WB at least has the brains to make this show a prequel to the Cinematic universe they're building up with Man of Steel and it's sequel (and hopefully some Batman and Justice League flicks) and somehow connect this to Arrow and Flash. If that is what is being planned... I know Stephen Amell and whoever the guy from Glee is ("The Hood" and "The Flash" respectively) aren't really capable of carrying their own films, but why not just dump them in an ensemble film? I mean before Justice League and after a couple Superman, Batman, or Aquaman movies (come on, New 52 Aquaman is awesome!) why not have a Batman/Flash/Arrow movie (since Batman is WB's saving grace)? Following Justice League, Flash would have a new status quo as a Leaguer, not just a newb. Arrow would also have a new status quo, it could start a new season with Oliver, now a Leaguer as well, finally referred to as Green Arrow. Why not have the cast of Gotham cross over in Arrow, Flash, and the Cinematic universe as older versions of themselves (Gordon, Montoya, Bullock, and maybe even Dent)? Anyways, it's not like it matters... Chances are, in anything that I'm a fan of, if I can come up with some sort of idea, that idea is not the one that ends up happening in the end.

Well, whatever happens I hope the show does well. And that Gordon is cast as an early 30's, 6'ft., muscular, detective. As in he's kinda young and looks strong and smart. Hopefully, the actor can also portray him as kind-hearted, noble, etc.