1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good and Bad cartoons based of off movies

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by JTOONSAnimation, Aug 20, 2017.

1. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

One of the most common things in animation (especially Disney) is a television series based off of a movie.

Many have been acclaimed while many others have failed to attract an audience

In my opinion:
    GOOD:
    The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: I liked this show a lot back when it was on Nickelodeon, it also had many of the people who worked on the movie return to work on the show, which did the franchise justice.

The Emperor's New School: I never watched the show when it was on Disney Channel, but i did watch it from 2011-12 when it was on ABC Kids and Disney XD. Many of the people who worked on the show returned, including the director of the movie. I also like how lots of the characters and locations from the movie made a return for the series.

Lilo and Stitch: The Series: I loved the movie and I would occasionally watch the show on Disney Channel, it was a good show and really connected well with the movie.

BAD:
    Monsters vs. Aliens and The Penguins of Madagascar.

I think that both of these shows really didn't need to happen. The ending to the movies were fine to conclude the story (the Madagascar franchise is still running). The overall plots in both shows to me just seem like "spin-offs" and have nothing to do with the movies.

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I used to watch Lilo & Stitch, Jimmy Neutron and The Emperor's New School as a kid, but I don't like them anymore.

The Emperor's New School is just an endless repeat of jokes from the movies. All character development is thrown away :( Once you've seen the 2 movies (which are great btw) this series suddenly feels really stupid and unnecessary.

Lilo & Stitch. Oh, I was a huge fan. But the morals are so cringe worthy and this kinda feels like an improved-yet-still-not-entertaining version of Pokémon. I honestly find collecting urge one of human's greatest flaws and don't really enjoy anything that promotes it. I wonder what magpies think of this show :D

Same goes for most (but not all) series based on Disney movies. I liked them as a kid but as an adult I started seeing their flaws.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I remember liking the Aladdin TV series better than the movie itself. However, I haven't seen it in many years so I have no idea if it holds up. I also loved 101 Dalmatians but again I haven't seen it in years. I also loved The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and I still think it holds up for what it is. I had an obsession with The 7D when it came out, but I'm not sure if I would call it good.

As for bad shows, the first thing that came to my mind was Emporer's New School. I only saw it once but I hated it.

#3 Dr.Pepper, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  4. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Good:
    Jimmy Neutron: It took great advantage of the "Boy Genius" concept while still differed plenty from shows like Dexter's Lab.
    The Real Ghostbusters: From what little I've seen, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, especially as someone who thinks the movies aren't the masterpieces the Internet makes them out to be. The designs were creative and the characters were endearing and likable...except Slimer. I don't know understand he was so popular.
    The Penguins of Madagascar: The penguins were always the best part of the movies and overall the charm and camaraderie of the characters was well-translated into the small screen. The other zoo characters introduced also had some fun personalities to help make the show more entertaining (Marlene really deserved her own spin-off if I'm being honest.)

Bad:
    Lilo & Stitch: I don't remember hating the show as a kid, but looking back, this was a pretty boring show. Sometimes there was a cool alien, but a lot of the charm from the movie was just sucked out and replaced with bland animation and dull characters.
    Monsters vs. Aliens: This whole show just screamed "We were forced to make it, and we have no idea what to do with the property, so let's try something." The art was bad, the jokes were terrible, the new characters were lame, and I hated how it took forever for the new characters to be introduced. The cute baby alien was revealed halfway through the show, and the last two were only seen around the last few episodes. Why waste the audience's time? Just give us the characters shown in the theme song and let them interact with the characters people recognized from the movie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Just a few hours ago, I was discussing cartoon adaptations of R-Rated movies and Jim Carrey movies with someone, so it's funny seeing this thread now. There's been so many of these shows over time though some are just more memorable than others.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any I thought was particularly dreadful. I remember not being fond of The Land Before Time series but I didn't really watch much of it. It was a preschool show, so it was already not really my thing but it seemed to just be a continuation of the sequels as well, and I always hated the sequels. The All Dogs Go to Heaven series was pretty forgettable as well but the list of forgettable ones can go on and on, and I don't feel I rightfully criticize stuff I can barely remember. It might be cheating but one that I despised was the first season of Avengers Assemble. It based itself on the movie in the most superficial ways, without getting any of the characterization or tone right, and generally felt insulting to the viewers intelligence. To me, it was the opposite result of Batman TAS, which was the first superhero series to get the movie synergy right, and probably even improve on the movies.

The Real Ghostbusters (first two seasons) is the best to me. It was able to stay faithful to the characters while becoming its own thing in the best way. As much as I love the 84 movie, I loved the series more. I think Sony was generally good at adapting their movies to cartoons though ( Ghostbusters, Men in Black, Godzilla, etc).

Out of the series Disney did, Aladdin and Tarzan were the ones I was especially drawn to. I especially loved how Tarzan worked more elements from the book into its expanding world.

I was incredibly resistant to watching The Clone Wars but once I did, I thought it was a series that did a lot of good while definitely being an improvement on the three movies that provided the core of its foundation.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

6. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was impressively charming and built on the Disney's renditions of the cast from the film very well, while still having some bizarrely creative episodes and ideas in between some very Milne-ish type plots. It also had most of the remaining voice actors from the original film too.

The Penguins of Madagascar I also remember having some pretty funny episodes and gags.

7. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

GOOD SHOWS
    Jimmy Neutron:
    A great series that always went well with FOP. It did have some weak points during it's final season, but overall still a great show. Jimmy and Cindy's egos didn't get to an annoying level like most characters do and most of the characters were interesting.
    Penguins of Madagascar: Despite the lack of continuation from the films, this was a very entertaining show. I loved the new characters like Marlene and Dr. Blowhole. And that Exterminator was hilarious. I think King Julian was the only weakness to the show sometimes.
    Extreme Ghostbusters: Despite not being a direct based-off-movie show, it was a sequel to the Real Ghostbusters, So I'm including it(I don't remember The Real Ghostbusters, so I didn't include it on any list). I remember watching this all the time and I consider it a great underrated cartoon. The art-style was interesting and fit well with a show about catching ghosts,ghouls,demons,etc. And aside from Garret and sometimes Slimer, the characters were all likable in their own way.
    Aladdin: Another one I used to watch a lot. I wished it had finished the mirage/Phasir storyline and Mozenrath's as well. I think Dan Castellaneta did a great job as Genie.
    Tarzan: A nice continuation of the movie. Even had a former President in an episode. I loved the one with the baby Leopard.
    Star Wars Clone Wars: This introduced General Grievous. One of the most badass of bad-guys. The art was very well done as well.
    Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventure: A very nice cartoon. Even had one of the droids from the prequel movies as a main character. That type of droid was always funny despite being on the villain's side. Second season wasn't as good as the first, but still entertaining.
    How to Train your Dragon: This is one of the best cartoons based from a Dreamworks movie. They even made an effort not to be ridicules with the stories, and made effort to make it canon with the movies.

MEH SHOWS
    Back to the Barnyard:
    While not spectacular, Back to the Barnyard was still watchable. Pig was definitely funny (his voice actor passed away earlier this year). I wasn't a fan of Abbie and Bessy though.

BAD SHOWS
    Monsters Vs Aliens:
    This show was a bit of a mess. Most of the series took place in the base. Which was dreary. One of the main characters was missing from the movie (insectasaurus), and the President was a complete manchild. The show could've probably been better if they had better surroundings and introduce some new monsters as well.
    Planet Sheen: Like Extreme Ghostbusters, not a direct based-off-movie show but it's suppose to take place in the same universe, so I'm including it. This makes Monsters Vs Aliens look like a masterpiece. Sheen was completely unlikable and very out of character. Ultra-Lord should've been mentioned at least more than half the episodes. Most of the characters were unlikable with the only exceptions being Nesmith,Aseefa, and Dorkus. The MAD cartoon gave the series a better series finale than the Planet Sheen writers probably could.
    Kung Fu Panda: Po does something stupid, Po fixes problem and saves day, Po learns lesson, repeat. Yeah I wasn't a fan of this one.

There are others shows I've seen, but I barely remember them or couldn't think of them. So I couldn't put them on the list of any category.

8. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I will throw in five more to the mix that are directly or at least remotely related and haven't been brought up yet:

The Mask: The Animated Series - Based on the live 1994 film. I have to say that it was at least decent. It was visually quite appealing, the voice acting wasn't bad and at least in the case of the lead roles was done well, the dialogues were funny with some good lines and the show added to the film's and Mask's legacy as a brand a lot I think. There was enough variety in terms of characters and plot to choose from, even with a clever cameo at the end. Plus the show had a cool theme song. It could have probably done with a few episodes less, it would have been more remembered had it been released on home video in full, which to this day it hasn't, and I guess you could also say that it had some weaker/filler/less enjoyable moments throughout and could have done slightly more with the world to make the formula a bit less repetetive. With 3 seasons/54 episodes that was maybe the biggest problem - how to keep things fresh. But overall back in the day it was the thing and I think it manages to somewhat hold up even today. At least parts of it. I have to admit it's more of an overseas thing though and the show was probably more popular in Europe and Asia to begin with.

Beetlejuice: The Animated Series - Based on the live 1988 film. I saw a few episodes in the 90s, but I don't remember much - save for the theme song and the visuals that I like. It spanned 94 episodes, which is a lot. I imagine it must be good though since it apparently won an Emmy award.

The Addams Family (1992) - Based on the live 1991 film. This was my introduction to the Addams Family. I used to watch it all the time in the 90s when it was on. Later in recent years I gave a chance to the other shows from the franchise, the 70s version and live original, and I can see why some people prefer those. They were more grounded as weird as it may seem given the IP. The 90s version was perhaps a bit over the top in a way without 100% polish. However, that theme song. That was a terrific cover that just captured the more energetic crazyness of the show. Maybe it's me, but back then it felt much much longer than the 21 episodes it has. Sadly still not on DVD. I hope that will change this year finally through Warner Archive as it is the 25th anniversay.

Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm - Based on the live 1995 film. A bit more mature and violent for a kids show maybe. I don't really know. I think not, I think there was much worse in the 80s/90s, but some people may see it that way given the Mortal Kombat title. Anyhow, despite the negative reception it wasn't outright terrible. With only 13 episodes I think it deserves a chance since it managed to cover some less known aspects of the lore. Even then though, out of these five shows, it is still probably the worst.

Jumanji: The Animated Series - Based on the live 1995 film. With 40 episodes this was longer. And not bad. It had an interesting style, reminding me visually of Real Monsters, and choice of music. It felt like Jumanji and being in its world imo. And it wasn't entirely dumb with clues to solve. I think for people who liked the live film it's worth checking out.

• Agree Agree x 1