1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Godzilla Vs. Kong" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Spideyzilla, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

The rumours are true. Warner Brothers and Legendary are working together again (For now), and will proceed with "Kong: Skull Island" in 2017, "Godzilla 2" in 2018, and now "Godzilla Vs. Kong" in 2020. And yes, it appears Kong is no longer a 'King' for the time being. They also confirm more classic monsters. Heck, they could even go after Gamera. I've been getting a bit sick of all these expanded universes that are getting announced, but this is one I can get behind.
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/godzilla-vs-kong-2020-sequel-warner-bros-legendary-1201618127/

2. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

This could be our best (and only) hope at finally getting Godzilla vs. Gamera movie!

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I think they dropped 'King' due to rights. WB already had beef with Universal over the rights years ago.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

4. Spideyzilla

It's a small thing, but that actually really sucks. Hopefully they can sort that out.

5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

This is just a very key reason why these whole rights issues are stupid idiotic semantics argument that just ruin movies more then help them. Seriously only one company can call a movie King Kong even when they obvious own all the rights to the character? Just grow up and get over it you money grubbing jerky execs: you're just ruining things for us fans.

More on topic I do feel it's weird to announce this before we even know if King Kong (or Kong I guess thanks to again boneheaded executives) next movie Skull Island will be a hit but yeah guess that's the thing with cinematic universes nowadays: we talk about upcoming projects years ahead regardless how movies between then may go. Personally I didn't really like Godzilla but if the human cast of Skull Island or Godzilla 2 have more to do or at the very least we have more monster action and not just more boring interactions or teeth grindingly long build up, should be a good romp.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, they finally did it. 2020 is so far away, but at least we'll have Godzilla 2 to help the wait.

7. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

I'm still a bit perturbed that Pacific Rim 2 has been postponed, perhaps indefinitely... but dang, do I have a ton of films to look forward too! I grew up on kaiju movies, as well as the stop motion films of Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen, and to see these characters, this genre coming back full force is terribly exciting for me.

2016 - Shin Godzilla (new Japanese film)
    2016/2017 - Gamera (also Japanese)
    2017 - Kong: Skull Island
    2018 - Godzilla 2
    2020 - Godzilla vs. Kong

8. Spideyzilla

Don't forget Colossal, that original giant monster movie with Anne Hathaway in it. It's amazing, isn't it? We're so lucky to have this happening.

9. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

^That's true. I think that movie's gonna be a bit on the experimental side, as the director has mentioned it being extraordinarily cheap and (I believe) using traditional FX.

Apparently a movie based on the classic Rampage arcade game is also in development, with The Rock attached to star, and Tsuburaya has really stepped up their game with new Ultraman projects and free worldwide streaming of their shows (if you want to see some great man-in-suit action watch Ultraman X on Crunchyroll!).

Also, Legendary specifies that Skull Island/Godzilla2/Godzilla vs. Kong is an 'initial trio of films' that will hopefully continue, and mention an 'ecosystem' of giant monster characters. It makes the mind boggle! I mean, they have Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah. They have the Mutos and any other original kaiju they come up with. They have Kong and (presumably) other giant denizens of Skull Island. That's certainly enough for their 'ecosystem,' but I can't help but wonder about other classic giants that WB owns the right to, like the giant ants from THEM! and the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. Wouldn't it be a trip if they brought those back?

Of course, Toho has the theatrical rights to the Hollywood Godzilla films as part of the deal, so they'll profit off of Godzilla vs. Kong (a rematch they've wanted to make for decades)... but if they really want to compete with their films, a Japanese Godzilla vs. Gamera would be the way to go to compete with the American Godzilla vs. Kong, don't you think? I mean, a friendly competition for publicity - they'll be making money either way!

10. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

It is very unlikely that we will ever see Japanese Godzilla vs Gamera. There have been dozens of attempts to get that movie made, but it has always failed, because studios can't agree on how to make it. Daiei Film (the studios who owns Gamera) feels that Gamera should win, since he is heroic monster, while Toho feels that Godzilla should win, since he is universally more well-known/loved monster.

If WB bought rights to make American Gamera movies, they possibly could make this long-awaited crossover to reality.

11. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

^ Yeah, and Daiei always seemed more interested in the prospect of the two parties - but, I think things are different now in terms of how Toho is run (Shin Godzilla's production is so different from all past Toho films, for example), and nowadays a lot of Japanese films are co-productions... I just think the environment may have changed to the degree that, well, anything is possible!

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They certainly set up a basis for more Mutos to start appearing and I'm sure the old Godzilla film and file images we saw in Godzilla was just the a fraction of documents on reported monster sightings MONARCH has compiled since their inception in 1946.

13. the greenman

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's almost a 2.5 year gap after the new King Kong movie. Sounds about right. I think Edwards is still doing post for Rogue One. If Godzilla filmed March~July 2013 and came out in May 2014. He'll probably weigh in on the script. But 2017 could a good break for him. He doesn't have to start filming until January 2018 at the latest.

15. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

Sad to see Godzilla 2 pushed back a year. Though doesn't Jurassic World 2 come out in 2018? It'll give me a movie a year to go see, I guess :p

16. the greenman

I still haven't seen G1, heard too many bad reviews. I'm looking forward to this next one if Edwards really does Monster Island as planned.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Really? I thought it was pretty good. That's coming from a person who hasn't watched the Japanese films in a decade or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Spideyzilla

I agree. The majority of the bad reviews I read said that Godzilla wasn't in it enough, which really was in touch with the early movies. I agree he could have had a bit more screentime, but I thought that the critics were exaggerating that problem. Aside from that, Aaron Taylor-Johnson is really my only big problem in it. He was surprisingly bad.

19. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

Godzilla was good imo. Yeah Aaron Taylor-Johnson is a bit bland, but it's not like the acting in most Japanese Godzilla films is all that stellar either, lol. And that's coming from someone who really likes the Japanese films.

I have no idea if Monster Island will be in Godzilla 2. But Rodan, Mothra, and/or Ghidorah will be. Probably and, but we don't know for sure yet if it will indeed be all three monsters.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Since Godzilla vs. Kong a long way off, is it okay with everyone if I change this thread to a catch all for the Godzilla-King movies universe?

• Informative Informative x 1