"Godzilla (2014)" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by James Harvey, May 16, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Movie!

1. *****

12.5%
  2. ****1/2

31.3%
  3. ****

31.3%
  4. ***1/2

18.8%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

6.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

All Hail the King!

[​IMG]

Godzilla
    Release Date: May 16, 2014
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures, Legendary Pictures
    Director: Gareth Edwards
    Screenwriter: Max Borenstein
    Starring: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Ken Watanabe, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, Sally Hawkins, David Strathairn, Bryan Cranston

Plot Summary:
    An epic rebirth to Toho's iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure, from Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, pits the world's most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.

Comments?

Related Discussions:
    -Godzilla (Original Movie) Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Godzilla (1998) Talkback (Spoilers)

2. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Reposted from the pre-release thread:

Just saw the movie (in Australia)

MAJOR SPOILERS SOMEWHAT

This is the godzilla we wanted, the one we grew up with reimagined.

He is clearly a hero, misunderstood, but still clearly dangerous. Facial expressions are AMAZING!!! Godzilla has basically followed the same arc as batman in his history: Dark and ultra-seirous beginning, campy but well known and loved for it in the 60's, Back to serious for the 80's-90's, and all over the place as his place in pop culture has been cemented by the 00's.

If the showa Godzilla is Adam West and Heisei Godzilla is Val Kilmer, this godzilla is likely like Ben Affleck's Batman, serious, but completely self-aware of their own inherent campy aspects while giving no damns about it.

Godzilla here clearly looks like an Old Badass who'se seen his day, but you do NOT want to mess with him. THis is especially contrasted against his enemies. While godzilla is a wall of experienced muscle, the MUTOs are sleek, shiny, wiry, and new.

The trailers mislead a bit, especially in regards to Bryant Cranson's charachter and his role in the movie.

The final scene is a DIRECT contrast to the 98 film, as is another plot point the film makes regarding the enemy monster(s) (yes, there are more than one).

The movie CONSTANTLY teases you with Godzilla's appearance and fight scenes. Gareth Edwards Trolls the audience with impending fights so much I practically laughed, but the big battle at the end is well worth it. How Godzilla finishes off both enemies, especially the second one is undeniably epic. The first reveal of the Breath weapon AMAZING.

Now for the minor complaints:

Seriously, the Cloverfield body type is OVERUSED AS HELL. Does this have to be the base design for every large monster in cinema? It's a good design, so it's not that big of a complaint, but I am getting tired of seeing it bit.

Bryant Cranston is good. Too good. And that''s a problem because BIGGEST SPOILER HERE:

But this is a MUST SEE for any godzilla fan. The story is left wide open for more kaiju in the world to appear, and I can definitely see Ken Watanabe's charachter making a very difficult descision and fate in future movies regardign godzilla and what happened in the original film.

Spoielr for the enemy monster:

3. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Agree with you on that on everything with this movie and yes

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I thought the film was pretty good.

Warning to some people, the beginning is very slow. Arguably, things don't fully heat up until the last quarter. I'm fine with that though.

Most of the actors do a really good job, but Watanabe and Olsen are wasted. Olsen gets nothing to do, and Watanabe kinda...looks confused the whole film.

Godzilla himself is pretty cool. His fight with the MUTOs is hardcore. The theater clapped when he roared, and when he killed that last MUTO in violent fashion. The Atomic Breath didn't disappoint.

I also like how in the end, the humans actually called Godzilla a hero, unlike many of the other films, where they irrationally fear him anyways.

5. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Damn, no use of Ifukube-san's score at all :(. Disappointing. The "Serizawa" name-drop and the 1954 reference were cool touches for longtime fans though.

6. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Tough as talons! Ca-caw!

I thought this was an excellent movie. I watched several Godzilla movies to hype myself up for this, but I felt more connected to this Godzilla movie than any other I watched; probably because the top notch CG made the creatures seem more alive than the rubber suits of previous movies. Plus it wasn't cheesy.

I also liked how there was no hint to a sequel, so that the movie could stand on its own with a proper ending. Regardless, I would love to see a sequel to this, though I wonder what it would be like.

:v: Yeah, a few times, but when they showed the fights in full, oh baby... :proud:.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  7. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

But they kept cutting when things got good

8. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I can say that this was the movie hardcore Godzilla fans were waiting for their whole lives. You could tell that the people behind this had the utmost respect for the big guy, from his early days to now. Even the ending felt like one big shoutout to his campy hero days back in the 60s!

My one problem with the movie would be that I wasn't enthralled with Ford as thought I'd be. I actually would have preferred it if the main characters were just Serizawa, Graham, and the Navy guys.

9. Angilasman

Angilasman New Member

There was a lot of talk about this film taking it back to the original version from '54, but this version of Godzilla owes just as much - if not more - from the Godzilla of the '60s and '70s.

And I love that.

Love to see the big guy back.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I've heard in foreign markets, they've shown a teaser not seen in the States.
    I'm not sure if it's true but along with ASM 2, that's another teaser that's been denied to us. lol.

11. Gatordragon

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

13. Gatordragon

Hmph. By looking around in the comments section of that link and doing a bit of research elsewhere, I think it's safe to say there is no foreign post-credits scene.

14. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

Just saw this over the Mem Day weekend and I liked it, though I have an oddly specific complaint about it. In general, I'd say if you're in this for the giant monsters fighting action, you're better off re-watching Pacific Rim. If you have affection for the original 1954 Japanese version, this is probably about as close as you're ever going to get to someone capturing that lightning in a bottle again. Also oddly disappointed at Bryan Cranston's relatively short role in the movie, though it did mean we didn't have to look at that weirdly distracting hairpiece for too long.

My oddly specific gripe is going to take a bit of explaining. I think you can view monster movies as metaphorical expressions of the fear of loss of control. Vampires are about loss of control of your sexual desires. Werewolves are about loss of control of your "civilized" side into something more savage and primal. The Hulk is, too. Mummies and zombies are about loss of control of your own death.

The difference between Dracula and the original Gojira is that the loss of control in Dracula is on a personal level, while Godzilla super-sizes it to a societal scale. In every worthwhile Godzilla movie, humanity throws everything it has at Godzilla and does little more than annoy him. People, individually and in groups, are completely insignificant to him. The one exception is Dr. Serizawa in the original movie, but he's really just bringing that "loss of control" theme down to a more individual level. His greatest fear is that he'll lose control of the Oxygen Destroyer, and everything he does in the entire movie is oriented around that one obsessive fear. The way everything in the original movie is underscored by a fundamental loss of control that can't be recovered is why the movie is still a powerful metaphor, even though it has ample flaws as a film. This is also, I think, the root of the problem with the 1998 remake: it turned Godzilla into just an animal, and several plot points hinge on people being able to influence him. I think that's fundamentally at odds with what makes Godzilla truly Godzilla.

So, my gripe about this new Godzilla movie is that Ford is just a bit too successful at moving the needle against the kaiju. He's able to destroy the MUTO nest, and even draw the attention of the mama MUTO herself. He even draws Godzilla's attention near the end, which really feels like someone taking notice of an individual ant. Ford is just a little bit too successful at taking control of a situation that should be fundamentally uncontrollable. One might argue that this is what makes this a truly American Godzilla movie, since America is all about the ability of the individual to effect change, but I'd counter that this robs the movie of a lot of its metaphorical weight. In the original, the uncontrollable nature of Godzilla makes the movie a metaphor for nuclear proliferation as much as it's about a guy in a rubber suit stomping on a scale model of Tokyo. This movie seems to want it both ways, capturing that sense of something well out of humanity's control while also saying one person can influence that situation. I feel like this Godzilla is a movie that looks like it has something to say, but where the message is ultimately lost a bit in translation.

That and I found it a bit hard to believe that mama MUTO could blow out the entire back side of Yucca Mountain and nobody noticed until they got there. I guess the sequester had more impact than we thought ;).

Also, in this light, Pacific Rim isn't a monster movie as much as its a war movie. At its core, it's an "us vs. them" kind of fight, where the core of the movie is about the comrades in arms and the team pulling together for a fight bigger than an individual. It's just a war movie that stars a lot of monsters is all.

15. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

Agreed, I'm tired of humans needing to destroy nests of baby monsters. I'm fine with humans needing to disarm wayward nukes, that was fine...but even then, they failed: How much radiation is in the waters off the coast of San Francisco now??

16. Gatordragon

Godzilla feeds off radiation in this film, so maybe he'll eat up the radiation on his way back to the deep.

Also, because of the film's success, Legendary Pictures announced that a sequel is underway with Gareth Edwards directing again. I remember he once expressed interest in doing a sequel with the "Monster Island" concept from the movie, Destroy All Monsters. I wonder if any of the old Toho monsters will appear or there will be all original monsters, or both.

'Godzilla' Sequel In The Works From WB, Legendary

17. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

No, no, no, it's a HOLLYWOOD nuclear weapon. That means all the negative side-effects of nukes (which, if anything, may be even worse than the direct effects of the bomb itself) don't exist. Nobody ever thinks about latent radioactivity or fallout or the tidal impact that would have resulted from blowing up a multi-megaton nuke off the coast of San Francisco.

;)

Hmm. On the one hand, there's enough in place to suggest that there are more monsters out there. On the other hand, Destroy All Monsters was well after the Godzilla franchise was firmly established, and a good chunk of the fun was seeing all of them together in once place at once. Regardless of how much Gareth Edwards wants to do it, I don't know that it's the best choice for the next movie.

One other thing I forgot to note earlier: one of my favorite bits was the breath weapon reveal, partially because of the different reactions my wife and I had to it. I saw Godzilla's tail starting to light up, and once that glow started traveling up his back plates, I knew exactly what was coming, and the delay until it finally happened was a great suspense-building moment for me. But my wife and the friend we saw the movie with hadn't seen a Godzilla movie in years and were never enormous fans to begin with, so their reaction was puzzlement followed by surprise. I thought it was great how that one moment meant entirely different things depending on how much you already knew. We all did think the way Godzilla used it at the end of the movie was more funny than dramatic, for some reason.

18. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Movie nukes are like movie gunshot sounds: characters say "Ouch! PG-13 word!" And hold the place and keep moving like its a minor irritation.

19. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Hi

It was ok. But there wasn't much of the monsters in here. But the human plots were interesting.

20. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

I enjoyed it. Saw it in ETX too.