1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Girl power cartoons that are good

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Wussycat, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Game Freak 4

Game Freak 4 TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!

I miss My Life as a Teenage Robot and Atomic Betty: Reporting for Duty. Jenny can do it all. Witch Hunter Robin and Major Motoko Kunsanagi from Ghost in the Shell kicks ass as well.

2. mg_winxclub

mg_winxclub We dont do prom, we crash prom

I'm with you on the Major! She kicks butt on GitS! Witch Hunter Robin is cool too! She's got the power of fire!

3. Lola

Lola New Member

When you do things that are at peak human performance levels you're not gonna be fat, you can't have a fatass assassin/spy/agent running on the field with no agility

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

Generally the best female oriented cartoons are those where gender is a minor detail. Most of the best characters in animation can work as either gender besides maybe very subtle changes. Sure there are masculine and feminine characters but that's still a characteristic over a gender regiment.

The ponies of MLP:FIM are based on archetypes, some are feminine, but many could work largely as any gender with the fact they are all female mostly a technicality. Some less researched viewers could be forgiven for thinking Rainbow Dash or Applejack are boys who haven't dropped voices yet.

People often tire of 'girl power' shows because they tend to make the gender the whole character's appeal over a likeable personality, not to mention positive discrimination often comes into play, making the female patronisingly hyper competent with some boy sidekicks or rivals that are clueless or sexist losers. In some cases this backfires since the boy character might be considered more likeable for having human characteristics while the female's overly positive characterisation makes them bland or unrelatable.

Granted this tends to be more of a problem with shows where the female characters AREN'T the main protagonist, since in the former case writers tend to be focusing on a 'token' female to represent the gender and pull in female audiences. They might often be a bit over focused on not offending said audience and making them the most competent member of the team (or at least less flawed) sometimes willing to chip away at the male character's personality and role to benefit her, even if the latter is supposed to be the main protagonist.

Sonic SatAm
    for example started to rotate more and more around Sally and how more stable a hero she was than Sonic, while Sonic himself got simplified more into just an annoyingly arrogant prick, leaving two protagonists that weren't particularly developed well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    #64 ToonReel, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

It's weird how Kim Possible had every cliché it could possibly have, and still turned out nice.

I think Kim Possible is almost like a parody.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Over the years Girl cartoons aren't so common, but for the most part, at least the diversity of members in most cartoons are equal. I really think that is a bit more positive for this effect because it is more ideal.

7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I am super shocked no one mentioned Daria yet. It's the first one I thought of. You don't have to go on adventures and be super athletic and kick-butt to have Girl Power. You just have to be smart and independent and not take any crap.

Another person this is true of is Louise on Bob's Burgers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Without saying examples, can't think of any - not a lot of them are being made that are worth delving into, anyway (IMHO.). What I can agree with is this: when I think of such a stupid term done right, I think good female characters in general. Preferably on shows that don't aim for one demographic or if they do, are at least inviting to more than that core demographic. Now, if I can name an example of that - The Loud House does come to mind for me, right away.

9. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Avatar: The Last Airbender. The female characters are complex, well developed, three dimensional. Katara, Toph, Suki, Azula, Mai and Ty Lee are strong characters with different personalities and character growths through out the show. And with the exception of two episodes from season one, their gender is never focused on.

• Like Like x 1
    #69 ToonJay723, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  10. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Sofia The First and Elena Of Avalor both come to mind. They have girl characters that can be both sensitive yet though, clearly feminine yet not completely defining them, and gender roles rarely being touched on (and the times they do bring it up, we see sympathetic characters in both sides).

• Like Like x 1
  11. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I consider Kim Possible a mary-sue character done right. Her parents are a rocket scientist and brain surgeon, she's head cheerleader, she's able to save the world and yet keep good grades and handle other responsibilities at the same time, and finally she's able to get free rides from famous/rich people for helping them for different reasons. Her flaws are minimum and yet the way she's written makes her likable.

• Like Like x 1