1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Girl power cartoons that are good

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Wussycat, Mar 3, 2006.

1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

IMHO, PowerPuff Girls is great, Kim Possible and My Life as a Teenage Robot are OK, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee isn't bad but is not my cup of tea, Totally Spies is good for some camp, and my feelings on Atomic Betty are neatly summed up here.

2. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

Droll. Very much so.

Actually, as a creator myself, I've been tempted to do almost the opposite on every single occasion... other peoples' habits rubbed off on me, I suppose. I could always change the characters for a few stories I've written, but others... that's what we have a supporting cast for.

When was the last time a woman created an animated series... Xiaolin Showdown. And that's the only one I can name off the top of my head. Yeah, we're getting there, all right.

3. Dee

Dee What?

MIB the movie, MIB the animated series, or that second film thing?

Hehe.

4. Hurricane V1

Hurricane V1 Active Member

Hmmm, I honestly don't like too many animated female characters on TV today.

I used to like early episodes of Kim Possible, for the comic relief of Ron adn the villians, then it became repetitive. As a character, I never liked her. Despite what her grades are made out to be in high school, she seems like a character of mediocre intelligence. Her little brothers are smarter than her, Shego is said to be smarter than her and a ten year old makes her gear. What a shame her sidekick and her archenemy have to be idiots to make her look good in comparision. She hardly ever uses her brain to get out of a situation, and yet her parents are a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist. And she's a cheerleader, what a way to show feminine strength, credit her agility to cheerleading. Kim couldn't attempt to get her school to create a gymnastics team? Or is a protesting girl too controversial for such a show? And where did she ever learn kung fu? When in her busy schedule solving everyone's problems and being popular did she ever get the time to master kung fu? That always bugged me. I apply my same criticisms of Kim Possible to Totally Spies. Just give kids a bunch of gadgets and they'll pull through.

As a kid, i used to love reading Nancy Drew books, even more so than Hardy Boys books. She was smart AND later on she gained karate skills with which to chop a guy in half. If only she had an animated series, or a live action one for that matter. I always thought that a female hero ought to be fairly smart, not that they can't have impressive physical attributes and determination, but intelligence seems to compliment a female hero well.

I like the W.I.T.C.H girls. For such a fantasy show, they seem real. Not many adults are around to guide them, it was fun seeing Will try to use their powers to help her cheat in a skiing contest. You know a kid at their age would do the same.

I really don't like Sam from Danny Phantom. She seems like she's full of herself and a poser, at least that's the impression I get from the talks I have with the goths I know. I don't like how she talks like a feminist but gets so jealous of any girl that Danny flirts with. I don't see why she'd want to crash a beauty contest, rather than just turn around and ignore it, but I guess that wouldn't be entertaining. I can see I have a problem with just letting cartoons be cartoons, which is probably due to me being older. But still, if you design characters so that kids can relate to them, don't give them an impression that's too off center.

All that being said, Juniper Lee is my favorite female hero. A lot of what's wrong with Jake Long is done right with her character. Lilo and Nani are another two of my favorites. Lilo's too young to know better about what she does, but she learns along the way, and Nani has a tougher job than saving the world, raising a child after her parents died. I like Mulan, as long as we're totally ignoring the terrible twist on her character in that DTV sequel. Batgirl from B:tAS has always been a favorite of mine as well.

Here's a character I'd like to see animated; a 16-18 year old black or native american girl who's part Macgyver, part Monk and part Jackie Chan. And I don't mean she stands her ground and kicks the butts of twenty oversized henchmen. I mean she runs/dodges until her positioning is right and she uses her surroundings. She'd be very resourceful. And she doesn't speak a lot of overused slang or speak with a lot of unnecessary attitude. Who wouldn't want to see that?

Sorry if I offended anyone with my harsh criticisms, TV characters don't have to be role models.

5. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

I don't see what's wrong with the gadgets... in Totally Spies one of the point made is that it is the way they use their gadget that's important, not what the gadgets are.

Also I too would rather make different characters than characters just like me... unless you consider me a minority (which I technically am even though I'm not a 'visible' one...)

6. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

^ Aside: We are all minorities in one way or another.

I, for instance, an a minority in that I have just one working eye. (I would not claim it's a handicap, but it *is* the exception.)

7. Undrave

I guess 'minority' depends on what is the 'majority'. I'm a French-Canadian. I'm a minority in North-America since my native language is French.

8. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Most girls that star in these shows have to be able to beat up giant villains, be sarcastic, and there has to be at least one episode in which she claims to not be the typical girl, yet has the hots for some jock type dude. Juniper Lee's thing for Marcus seems to be the only genuine one, as the Marcus character is somewhat jocky, yet not arrogant, and also has some intelligence.

9. Mighty_Bojingo

Mighty_Bojingo Your shoelaces shall be mine.

In my opinion, that would definately make for an interesting show. But considering this post is about something that's unrealistic (I may be wrong, but from reading all the posts, that's what i'm getting), I'd say its pretty much impossible to find someone with ALL of those qualifications all rolled up into one ball of personality. Its just not gonna happen. Maybe a few of them, yes, but all of them i find highly unlikely. But if people are gonna continue to criticise this skinny issue, then people will definately criticise that idea.

But back on topic, I really dont see what the problem is with these shows. I like all of them. PPG, Sailor moon, Totally spies, Winx club, mew mew, etc. (Minus bratz).

10. Undrave

Yeah Bratz got no redeeming quality XD

11. Delthayre

Delthayre Retired

Oh, beloathed, how I long to fly loose to curse and denigrate thy name and being!

If there's a problem with a show featuring female protagonists, it is seldom the noxious, "girl power," ideal that the world has left over from the onerous pop culture reign of the Spice Girls. If there is a fault to a show of this type, or many faults as the case could easily be, it is generally one that would cripple it irrespective of the gender of its protagonists.

12. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

I wouldn't even call 'Bratz' a 'Girl Power' cartoon.
    It's better described as a 'Teenage Shoppaholic Airhead' cartoon.

13. Tube Dude

Tube Dude Member

For me, Kim Possible.

14. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

[​IMG]

15. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

Impressive criticisms, first of all. I could never have written something so thorough. You completely exposed many of the flaws in shows I watch that I had really never noticed. Not to stray away from the quote, I've been interested in the Hardy Boys for a while... maybe I should get into a Nancy Drew book sometime.

I'd want to. If I was a spectacular artist, I'd take a few cues from you, but since I'm a much better writer, I think partnering with an illustrator would be more ingenious. One of these days, I'll look towards that.

Offended? No. Impressed? Yes.

16. Lychii

Lychii 2 pickles, 1 jar

On the topic of strong, female characters, I'd have to put in my vote for Katara. While she's not perfect she's got her definant strong points; putting up with her brother, fighting in what she believes in, etc etc. She didn't gain sudden mad bending skills out of no where nor is trying to get with a hot guy or have a body of a Barbie doll. The thing I like the most about her is that she's caring and dosen't act like she has PMS for no reason. Speaking of which, just about every other female in Avatar could qualify as a strong female character. (Suki, Jun, [A]Zula, etc etc..)

Wow! I'd pay to see that but I have to agree with Mighty_Bojingo, it'll be a bit too much if she's all of that combined. I think she should have a sidekick or assistant to even it out. Although knowing our luck this won't happen anytime soon and when it does it'll be a short that'll never be made into a series. Your post was a plesure to read though.

17. winxrocks

winxrocks New Member

Winx is definitely a good one. It's mainly targeted at tweens, and it's about school, friends, boyfriends and everything a tween needs to know about before becoming a teenager.

#57 winxrocks, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  18. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

Forgot about Fullmetal Alchemist, did we? I KEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL YOU!:p

19. Undrave

Full Metal Alchemist started out as a manga.

The manga industry got a large number of women working in it, unlike the animation industry.

20. Teknomancer

Teknomancer ToonCop 3000

Apart from PPG I find most of them boring... just my opinion though, because my impression of the others is they're talking shots at us boys/men which PPG usually kept to a minimum, The others just want to prove that girls are better while PPG tried to prove girls are equal. Big difference.... all this is of course my judgement and opinion so y'all needn't get worked up over this.