1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Girl power cartoons that are good

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Wussycat, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Wussycat

Wussycat Active Member

It seems to me like Kim Possible, The Powerpuff Girls and Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon are the only good girl power cartoons around.

All the other girl power cartoons are like Winx Club; saying that a girl can't be happy or popular unless she's skinny as a rake and dresses provocatively.

Please prove me wrong! Please post about other good ones!

2. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

W.I.T.C.H. > all others.

3. Rover_Wow

Rover_Wow Active Member

Where I live, Winx Club is so totally not about being skinny as a rake and dressing provocatively. It's all about fighting witches and other evils that come their way (and having boyfriends, but that's common on these sorts of shows).

Surely there has to be more positive Shoujo than just Sailor Moon... er, DoReMi, maybe?

4. Draven

Draven Electronic Laughter

Oh, THIS crap again? Let me explain some things here, Wussycat.

Kim Possible - skinny and popular.

Powerpuff Girls - skinny and popular.

Sailor Moon - skinny and popular.

Futhermore, during the 17 minute Sailor Moon transformation they are friggen naked. Some people would consider that provocative. After they DO transform, they have on short skirts, which barely cover their thighs, and are wearing essentially fetish school-girl outfits. Some people would consider that provocative. I don't, because unlike you, I have an open mind.

Oh another news flash. Kim Possible is impossibly popular in the show, being Head Cheerleader. Oh, and what's this? She's bares her belly, and is "skinny as a rake". Shock shock, horror horror. She does acrobatic, and martial art routines that haunt oylmpic athlete's nightmares.

Now, some people, young girls, perhaps, can watch these shows and think they need to dress "provacatively", or being outstandingly popular, and be overwelmingly busy.

Your entire theory has just crumbled to dust.

Maybe if you took the time to WATCH Winx Club, you'd find the show is very positive. It takes common themes from ALL three shows you mentioned, those being friendship can overcome anything, and teamwork is essential.

With that in mind, I am adding Winx Club to the list of good Girl Power cartoons.

5. Kevin the Geek

Kevin the Geek Golem fan

The only girl power cartoon that I like is The Powerpuff Girls.

6. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

Girl power cartoons without skinniness? Hmm... your best bet would be some of Joanna Quinn's stuff:
    [​IMG]

7. JesseCuster

JesseCuster Figment of Your Imagination

Kim Possible

The Life and Times of Juniper Lee (only because I was a fan of Buffy, The Vampire Slayer before she became a cartoon).

8. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

How many of these shows are currently out there now? Totally Spies, W.I.T.C.H, Winx, Bratz, Mewmew Power, etc. While they do feature girls, a lot of the episodes do focus on them being fashionable, boys, and other mean spirited chicks. But shockingly, these are issues quite a few girls do deal with, as stereotypical as it is. I read an article in the Chicago SunTimes eearlier that gave Super Princess Peach only two stars because of the stereotypical emotional powers they chose to give her, apparantly stating that PMS is apparantly how she defeats her enemies. :p

9. havokpryde

havokpryde Member

Its so apparent.

I see someone has never seen the original Sailor Moon. WITCH I suppose would be a good example.

10. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Mew Mew Power was canned by 4Kids :p they might run the rest of the episodes they have during the summer to try to get viewers to watch for new content.

Bratz deserve to burn in hell if you ask me. At least the other shows have the girls kicking butt and taking names while dealing with their everyday thing. Bratz is just one big cliché and tired joke after the other... it's just another exemple of trying to make little girls want to be teenager faster...

Can't kids be kids nowadays or what?!

11. FinnMacCool

FinnMacCool Active Member

I'd like to second The Life and Times of Juniper Lee.

I'd also like to say that some episodes of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy have a refreshing take on "girl power." Mandy is not cute, she is not sweet, in fact she's incredibly ruthless and cruel, but she gets the job done and is oh-so-cool doing it. She is a true anti-heroine.

12. Undrave

Yeah Mandy is a refreshing character.

It's getting tiresome to see the 'martial art girl' stereotype in movie... ya know the girl that's all energetic and kick butt all the time and acts all cool and stuff... it works with certain characters but seeing it all the time just get tiresome. I'd like to see a girl who doesn't do backflips and flying kicks for a change.

13. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

It seems only fair to mention there's also some admirable girl characters in non-starring roles. 'Danny Phantom's Samantha and 'Jake Long's Haley spring to mind.

Re the pervasiveness of 'skinny' heroines; that seems to be true of cartoon heros in general. Overweight boys are usually clowns, or brainy sidekicks- I can't remember ever seeing one in the central Heroic role.

14. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

Sailor Moon for me.

15. Undrave

They're only brainy sidekicks if the main character isn't brainy, otherwise they are doofus.

16. Dee

Dee What?

Okay. Here we go.

If you're going to start a thread to argue something like this, Please back yourself up. I hate seeing flame wars and this is one of the easiest ways to start them.

Why are Kim Possible, Powerpuff girls and Sailor moon good? How do they differ from show you have listed as bad?

Don't just start a thread like this and go "Hey, These are good shows and this one show is bad!" because unless you take the time to explain your reasons for listing 3 shows that are quite similar in nature to the one show you've listed as bad (For body image reasons) it's just going to start a messy fight.

17. NeitherSparky

NeitherSparky Oh That is So Sad, I Must Say

I don't watch any of these newer girlpower shows mentioned...I'm an old lady, I grew up on She-Ra, who will always be the Queen of Girlpower to me. ;)

18. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

I think Coop of Megas XLR was the only chubby hero in animation.

19. mammy2shoesfan

mammy2shoesfan bigJnyc

They need to make a cartoon about fat black girls because there are to many cartoons about skinny white girls. lol:D

20. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> I think Coop of Megas XLR was the only chubby hero in animation. <

And he was also a clown.