1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Genndy Tartakovsky should be put in charge of Marvel Animation

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by spyke, Mar 15, 2017.

1. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Actually, there has been some Marvel animated DTV films aimed at older audiences post-Disney acquisition, which was the short-lived anime-influenced Heroes United series. I'd like for Disney to revive Touchstone as a DTV label for Marvel's animated DTV films aiming towards older audiences.

Actually, the recent animated shows are more aimed at younger audiences since the last Marvel cartoon aimed at older fans was Avengers: EMH. I just think the kiddification of the Marvel cartoons has gone too far. Of course Disney owns Marvel, but that hasn't stopped Marvel from doing MCU Netflix TV shows that are aimed at mature audiences and I think a PG-13 DTV animated film line aimed at older fans would work well.

And yes, Disney has released PG-13 rated films under their own unit with Pirates of the Carribean being one example.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

In order to not derail this thread further, I'll just lead you to this link where the comments show why Disney will never do adult animation. IN terms of that Marvel anime you mentioned, I haven't seen them, but I'm pretty sure they stopped doing those. Plus, Planet Hulk had to be severely edited when aired on Disney XD.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/could-disney-make-adult-animation.5574022/

3. AdrenalineRush1996

I don't mean adult animation as R-rated animation, I actually mean PG-13 animation aimed at older audiences. Disney can revive Touchstone for that reason since it's the only one from them to release material aimed at either older or mature audiences.

I just think a Marvel PG-13 DTV animated feature series in vein of DC's DTV animated film series could work to satisfy older fans who are disappointed with the current cartoons.

When I was talking about the animated films after the Disney acquistion titled Heroes United, I was indeed referring to Iron Man and Hulk: Heroes United and Iron Man and Captain America: Heroes United.

I'd like to see an animated Spider-Man film based on The Night Gwen Stacy Died with Christopher Daniel Barnes or Josh Keaton reprising as Spidey or an animated X-Men film based on Age of Apocalypse. Marvel can't always rely on younger audiences when it comes to animated stuff.

Disney could allow different studios to do these films than having their own.

#63 AdrenalineRush1996, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

What makes you think Genndy Tartakovsky even wants to do that?

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. AdrenalineRush1996

Well, Samurai Jack wasn't just aimed at younger audiences but it was aimed also older audiences as well, hence the revival is aimed more towards the latter than the former since it's on Adult Swim than on Cartoon Network and that the content of said show wasn't very family friendly than the other shows that CN aired at the time.

A PG-13 Marvel DTV animated film from Genndy Tartakovsky would be interesting to see.

7. TheVileOne

Reporter

The revival of Samurai Jack being more violent and edgier since it's on Adult Swim really is not proof that Tartakovsky would want to do the same at Marvel Animation.

Also, his next project is Hotel Transylvania 3 which not sure if you've seen those movies but they skew a lot young younger than the Samurai Jack revival.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AdrenalineRush1996

Let me clarify: If Marvel wants to do a DTV animated film line for older audiences like DC has done, then yes I'd like a PG-13 animated adaptation of The Night Gwen Stacy Died from Tartakovsky.

But those films also have an older fanbase as well not because of Sandler but because of being a homage to several of the most iconic characters in horror film history.

Why don't we just move on from this?

9. TheVileOne

Reporter

It's kind of a random thing to put out there. I doubt it's ever going to happen. For one, Marvel probably doesn't have the rights to do DTV features of Spider-Man because of the Sony deal. They have Spider-Man TV rights but not film rights even though there is a co-production deal currently for the MCU. There's no evidence to suggest Tartakovsky would be interested in such a role, and I doubt he even has the time.

Except the films aren't specifically aimed at older fans and most of the humor is very juvenile and often low-brow. Since that seems to be something you are fixated on that Marvel Animation isn't mature enough for your liking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AdrenalineRush1996

It's a hypothetical idea after all.

Well, live-action film and theatrical animated film rights of Spider-Man is what Marvel do not have. They can still fully regain the film rights of Spidey one day, but Sony wants to do a MCU-type cinematic universe, yet they haven't learned their lesson on their executive meddling of The Amazing Spider-Man film series.

I didn't say there were reports of him doing such a film. I said that it would be interesting if he adapted The Night Gwen Stacy Died as a DTV film.

Mature enough? It's because of those post-EMH cartoons that Marvel Animation just doesn't care about the older audiences.

Do you know why there should be a PG-13 DTV animated films line from Marvel? It's because it would end the "kiddification" stigma of Marvel Animation and I've had enough of Marvel Animation kiddifying their stuff for cartoons on Disney XD. DC's animated DTV stuff can't always be the monopoly.

If you don't like what I've said, then move on because I have had enough from you.

Mod Note: Language

#70 AdrenalineRush1996, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  11. TheVileOne

Reporter

Not all of DC's animated DTV movies are that good and some of them have been quite disappointing as well as overly violent and dark. Case in point the Justice League movie that adapted the New 52 run.

Not sure where the monopoly is. Just because DC has that model doesn't mean Marvel has to do the exact same thing as well. Most of the animated shows are aimed at kids and youth because they are vehicles to sell and move merchandise. It's pretty simple.

12. AdrenalineRush1996

Of course, not all of their animated films are good. Some of their early stuff were well-received, while some of their recent stuff haven't, especially the New 52-inspired animated universe.

They can't ALWAYS rely on younger fans, hence my idea of a PG-13 animated feature line could satisfy older fans and end the "kiddification" stigma that has affected Marvel Animation since the start of Ultimate Spider-Man and I've had enough with them for doing that. I don't want an X-Men cartoon like those current shows.

Just because they rely on younger fans doesn't mean they should rely on them all the time.

If you don't like my idea, fine and move on.

Mod Note: Language

#72 AdrenalineRush1996, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  13. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Fortunately. Genndy is not going to make an overly violent, serious and dark series. That's a given.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AdrenalineRush1996

I'm pretty sure that you ignored the fact the Samurai Jack revival is more darker, edgier and violent than the original run.

15. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

No, I didn't. I don't find the new series overly serious, dark and violent.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. AdrenalineRush1996

Overly isn't the right word to use. Samurai Jack is actually more dark and serious than Dexter's Laboratory though there are some comedic moments plus the revival being more violent is the main reason why it's on Adult Swim instead of Cartoon Network.