1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Genndy Tartakovsky should be put in charge of Marvel Animation

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by spyke, Mar 15, 2017.

1. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

The title says it all. I think that Gendy should be put in charge of Marvel animation. Gendy has gone on record as saying that he is a huge Marvel fan and that he learned how to speak English by watching reruns of the old Marvel superhero cartoons from the 60's. He also recently wrote and drew a Luke Cage mini series for Marvel. I think that most (NOT ALL) of us could agree that Marvel animation needs a serious and complete overall (despite being slightly improved under Wacker). I think that Gendy could be to Marvel animation what Bruce Timm is to DC Animation. Do you guys agree or disagree with me?

• Like Like x 5
  2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Well, the Justice Friends segment in Dexter's Laboratory were pastiches of Marvel characters Hulk, Captain America and Thor along with Monkey's boss in Dial M for Monkey being a pastiche of Nick Fury after all. I don't see why not but he's probably not the right person.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    #2 AdrenalineRush1996, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I disagree. Genndy Tartakovsky is a busy guy. And second of all, does he even want that type of job? It was a modern miracle we got him back for Samurai Jack so the show could finally get an ending. I love Tartakovsky, and the man's a genius, but there's no indication he wants or would even take the job. Plus, I would rather Tartakovsky have a more direct involvement with a show, movie, series or what have you.

Look at the credits for the new Samurai Jack. Tartakovsky was heavily involved. And it seems he went straight from that to Hotel Transylvania 3. He's doing major CG animated features now. I'm not saying Marvel Animation wouldn't be in his wheelhouse, but again, he's a busy man doing a lot of other big projects right now.

Instead of making him the head of Marvel Animation, I'd rather he be allowed to create or helm his own Marvel show and take the creative reins or supervise a show. It doesn't even have to be a show. It could be a one-off movie or even some standalone shorts done in his own particular style. Or something else like the Clone Wars micro-shorts. Something where he could come in make a big, effective impact and leave his creative stamp.

Now if there was say a Marvel animated TV show or set of characters he wanted to work on at some point, I say go for it, but how is that going to happen? Tartakovsky is an animation superstar now, and his time is probably extremely valuable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I agree. I think he should be put in charge of creating a New Marvel Animated Universe with Greg Weisman and Victor Cook just like Bruce Timm created The DCAU with Paul Dini and Alan Burnett,They can have many of the EMH, SSM and WATXM reprise their roles too. This would be a much better Marvel Animated Universe than the butchered one we've got right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I don't think it's necessary to bring him in to be in charge of Marvel Animation. I'm sure he could work on one of Marvel's shows, but I don't think he needs to be in charge. To be honest, I just want Marvel Animation to improve and throwing in a strong writer, animator or creator won't necessarily solve the problems, as we saw with Paul Dini on Ultimate Spider-Man (though he didn't do a bad job in my opinion).

I'd prefer Genndy Tartakovsky to do his own thing and work on whatever projects he wants to since it sounds like it's already too busy to do something like being in charge of Marvel Animation. I don't even want a shared universe, just a variety of standalone shows like DC has done with Young Justice, Green Lantern, Beware the Batman, and Justice League Action.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

It would seem like a decent Idea, though I think he should only handle one show rather than a universe since especially if it ties into the Marvel universe. If it connects to that then I just sadly think that it won't work out that well.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I wished for him to be involved for years, especially when I thought AEMH was ending and my dream series then became a Genndy led spin-off. I can't imagine it happening now. Who knows? Maybe in the future. Things that seemed a lot less possible in my eyes have happened.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #7 Rick Jones, Mar 15, 2017
  8. AdrenalineRush1996

What's wrong with a Marvel animated shared universe? Is it because of their recent stuff like USM, Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH?

There hasn't been a good superhero animated shared universe since the DCAU and the 90s Marvel Animated Universe.

Ok, for those who don't want Tartakovsky being in charge of Marvel Animation, like everyone who responded to this except brodie999, who do you think should be in charge instead of Loeb and Wacker?

• Like Like x 1
    #8 AdrenalineRush1996, Mar 15, 2017
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A Marvel cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky would be pretty awesome. I'm guessing he would be happy to work for the company if he could, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. I would much rather have him work on a show than be in charge of the entire animation department at Marvel. I agree being directed involved more in the show would be a good thing.

It would be cool if he got the chance to work on some animated short films for Marvel, something which seems more probable to me, but again I could be wrong. Just as the "Rocket & Groot" shorts have a more distinct style, Tartakovsky could bring his own rather unique style to something like that. I would be fine with him working on any official Marvel animated project, even if it is only a stand-alone short at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm going to join the chorus in saying that Tartakovsky headlining a Marvel cartoon and bringing his style, sensibilities, and touch to any Marvel property would be a dream come true, and probably more practical then sticking him with the job of running all the cartoons ;).

Maybe Disney would even be willing to shill out more of an animation budget for a Genndy Tartakovsky Marvel project :p?

I think the Marvel cartoons would probably benefit from bringing in animators/writers with strong creative visions and styles, like Tartakovsky, who could come in and create unique and cool takes on major Marvel brands :anime:.
    Josh Fine or Craig Kyle would be great, I think :cool:.

Or Giancarlo Volpe, who's also working on another Disney show on air right now, Star vs. The Forces of Evil :).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

I think Marvel Animation improved with Wacker... but I also think he doesn't respect the comic book fan with so much synergy, I'm happy with The T-Bolts adaption in AA, but we will only see this comic fidelity in characters that aren't part of the MCU? not to mention the character development and origins that were omited because "they were showed in the MCU and are redundant", I don't think it's just his fault, it's more of an order and it makes sense ($$$) but I would like this animated universe to be conformed by Avengers: EMH, Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine & the X-Men instead AA, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Also, Wacker hates the X-Men apparently ¬¬

12. AdrenalineRush1996

Did he ever say that he hates them?

13. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

He was being troll, but maybe there is some truth...

14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Greg Weissman can't do every cool animated superhero show out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Hack Fraud

I'd like to see him adapt Cage into a series of interstitials. Also, I'd like to see a bunch of interstitials by a bunch of different animators about a bunch of different characters. Bunch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I'm just not interested in one. We're seeing so many shared universes from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, DC Extended Universe, Arrowverse and DC Animated Movie Universe. I just want some standalone media again.

Marvel was doing this back with Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine & the X-Men, Iron Man Armored Adventures, etc. Only Wolverine/X-Men and The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes were tied together.
    Anyone who can do the job well.

17. AdrenalineRush1996

Well, had both shows continued their runs, then we would've gotten more shows set in that continuity and there can't always be standalone stuff.

Who in question?

That's right but who do you think should be in charge other than Loeb and Wacker?

18. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

They need to bring back Josh Fine and Chris Yost to run Marvel Animation,They were heading in the right direction with EMH in till Jeph Leob came along.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #18 dmxx116, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  19. Greg91

Greg91 Member

What I'm saying is that there isn't much standalone stuff so that's what I'm looking for. We have plenty of shared universe stuff. A break from that wouldn't hurt anyone, right? I like shows that feel like their own living, breathing universe. It's so cool to see how much can be expanded on in one show's universe like all the characters in Young Justice or the amount of detail in the storytelling of The Spectacular Spider-Man.
    No one specifically in my mind. They could bring in someone else from the comics like Wacker, maybe someone from the movies, or even someone we've never heard of. That's why I"m not naming names. It's easy to pick out successful animation folks and say they should be in charge. In reality, I have no idea who could make Marvel Animation better. I just want to see someone do a good job.

If you really want some names, I wouldn't mind seeing the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Voltron: Legendary Defender crew (Joaquim Dos Santos/Lauren Montgomery) take on a Marvel animated show. Lauren actually worked on Next Avengers and Hulk Vs. so she has some history with Marvel.

20. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Wacker doesn't hate the X-Men. He is just paroting the current corporate line/stance on the use of the characters. Wacker is the ultimate loyal corporate employee.