Generator Rex: What Went Wrong?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by The Huntsman, Feb 22, 2012.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Generator Rex had the potential to be a great show early on, and while it only recently lived up to its full potential, I never thought that it was a "bad" show. It would seem that children disagree, however, as the show sank like a rock in the ratings. Perhaps Cartoon Network never gave it their full support, but it was part of a very strong line-up at one point and it probably should have done better than it did.

So what went wrong with Generator Rex? Why did its ratings collapse like it did?

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the slower pacing in the second season was a factor in turning kids off to the series. While the kids in the target audience might not have the same issues about the slower pace as some people here have, I don't think that they liked it either. It doesn't help that the first season had a much faster pace with generally better action. Although, that faster pace was problematic for me too, mostly for the Noah and Rex leaving Providence being rushed, but I think seeing all of that action helped to get kids into the series. With season two, the action wasn't that great for the most part, there were far too many dull/mediocre episodes and it just didn't feel as interesting as season one. I actually prefer a slower pace over a fast pace since I think more opportunities are lost if a series goes too fast. However, in order to make a slower pace work, I think that the time needs to be spent on world-building, character development and building up the storyline before moving forward with it. Generator Rex didn't do a good job with its slower pace in my opinion. It just turned out rather dull for the most part.

While season three has generally been better than season two, despite having a few weak episodes at the beginning, I don't know if it has lived up to its full potential. Though, I haven't seen the two episodes that are up on iTunes yet. It also didn't help that Cartoon Network stopped promoting the series even as part of their Friday night lineup during the middle of season two. Even though the new episodes were available on their website and on Cartoon Network on Demand, the fact that they only had one repeat slot and then eventually no repeat slot on their schedule didn't really help give kids a chance to watch the episodes if they missed them.

Despite my issues with the series, I do think it's a shame that the series didn't catch on with the kids. It can be a really great show when it focuses on its storyline and develop the characters and the action, especially in the first season, that special with Ben 10 and a few episodes of season three, were quite good. I think that it needed more promotion from Cartoon Network and the pacing for at least season two needed to be worked on, although my issues with the pacing started in the first season. It might have also helped to promote the toyline some more since I'd imagine that the poor sales for the merchandise was a factor in the show losing appeal with the kids, or at least in the series ending with only three seasons.

3. ToonsLover

ToonsLover Lover of Toons

As Light Lucario pointed out, the mediocre season two was definitely a huge contributing factor. In fact, even I stopped watching season 2 towards the end as well as all the filler in the beginning of the 3rd season.

I also think that it has to do with the lack of promotion. In the beginning, before the show even premiered, there was a HUGE amount of promotion that Cartoon Network was giving the show. But as it went on, it seemed like they started giving it less and less promotion. I'm pretty sure they stopped airing episodic promos after "Leader of the Pack".

And lastly, I think the show kept confusing kids with the multiple plots it kept taking. I'm sure they'll all come together by the series' end, but going from Van Kleiss, to Caesar (who I still don't fully understand), to Black Knight just seemed very random. I liked the show a lot better before Caesar and Black Knight came along.

I don't think Generator Rex was horrible by any means, but I do think it was a very flawed series that didn't have a good sense of direction. One episode was extremely serious, and then the next would be a comedic filler which just seemed out of nowhere. I personally don't think Generator Rex is worthy of having 52 episodes though, maybe the series would've been better if CN ordered a lower episode count so the writers could omit some of the filler in season two.

4. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

Does this thread have anything to do with what happened last week? Is there something that happened that I'm not aware of, as far as cancellations or something?:confused:

I'm sorry to say that I can't say much about the ratings, though. I honestly don't pay attention to the ratings of any show that I watch. I see a show, watch a few episodes of it, get hooked, and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  5. Mixiboi

Mixiboi New Member

The speculation is that its over for Rex, as they pulled it from the schedule without a return date.

Not I'd hope they burn out the last couple of episodes before DC Nation in March, but they just might burn them out on itunes, X-Box Live and online.

On what went wrong? IT lived too long. 52 is the number, and it reached 52 last week. Even Ben 10 ended at 52 before it transformed into Ben 10: AF.

They should of started planning for a new series and changed some things around, which they did with the time jump.

It was a good run, I just hope that Man of Action has a end, and we get to see it.

6. Light Lucario

I'm not sure if the multiple plots and villains would make kids that confused. If they weren't familiar with some of the events earlier in the series, then they'd probably be confused. I don't mind Caesar since he's kind of interesting and a different kind of villain than Van Kleiss and Black Knight. It also helps that he was mentioned as Rex's brother in the first season, which didn't make his inclusion feel out of nowhere, unlike with Black Knight.

I definitely agree that Generator Rex, while not a terrible show, does have quite a few flaws and has a poor sense of direction. I still think that the root of most of the series' problems comes down to its terrible pacing. Going back and forth between being serious and then trying to add in some comedy really didn't work for me either. It felt like they didn't know what kind of tone they were going for as the series progressed. It also didn't help that most of the comedy felt forced and out of place.

If they release the last few episodes, then Generator Rex should have 60 episodes. Though, considering how the last couple of seasons have turned out, I wonder if the series would have been better if it just had one season. Even though they were throwing out all of their ideas in order to get an audience, I would say that the first season was the best season thus far partly because of how they were putting so much effort in many of those episodes. Cartoon Network ordering a smaller amount of episodes probably would have helped too, although I think that they could have omitted the filler episodes with the same amount of episodes ordered by just putting more effort with focusing on the characters and/or storyline. There's really no reason that they had to stall the plot for a whole season.

I believe that The Huntsman created this thread because of how Generator Rex was taken off the lineup last week. There hasn't been any official announcement about the series being cancelled, but it obviously isn't going to have another season at this point. The remaining episodes will most likely be released on some format, but that's all the series will have.

I can understand that. There are few shows that I look up their ratings, but I have heard about how much the ratings have decreased as the series progressed.

7. Monte

Monte Active Member

I'm not sure, but i might also place some blame on the lack of reruns. A series with on going plot threads can get really hard to keep up with if you wind up missing episodes. And if I recall, i don't think Generator Rex, had much in the way of reruns and they certainly were not rerunning alot of the old episodes. Without the reruns, it seems like it would be easy for kids to loose interest after missing a few too many of the friday premieres. Not to mention the fact that rerunning episodes; espeically the GOOD episodes, in and ofthemselves act as a form of promotion for the new episodes.

actually for a lot of successful series, 65 ends up being the normal cut off number.
    But it is true that they could have tried to use the time skip as an excuse to try to sell generator rex as a squeal series instead of just forging forward. However, that comes with a risk, given low ratings performance there is a chance that the second series might not get greenlighted which would mean that the series would end on a cliffhanger.

8. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

Even though I'm pretty sure that there's more reasons, I think that this is one of them as well. I've looked on some of the other CN websites of other countries, like Australia for example. They have re-runs everyday, and the majority of the reruns the last time I checked were from Season 1. I also agree that not having re-runs makes it harder for the audience to catch up on the series in order to avoid confusion, especially if they don't get the series on places like iTunes or Zune. This is just a guess, but I think that out of the people here on TZ that watch this series, it almost seems like I'm one of the very few with a couple other members who are able to watch it on iTunes.

I agree, the decent amount of episodes is usually around the 52 and 65 mark, and I highly commend Generator Rex for going as far as 60 since that's pretty rare in a cartoon these days. I do think though that 52 would have been a sufficient amount for this series, because if you take out most of the fillers from Season 2, you end up with almost that amount. What I really like about purchasing this entire series is that it gives me the ability to skip any episodes I want, so if I wanted I could watch all the plot-related ones in a row. I also agree that making the 6-month time skip into another series would not have been a very smart move, because the low ratings started within the 2nd season. That would have more than likely prevented a second series, therefore ending the series in a really bad spot. Starting the 6-month time skip at the beginning of a season is a much better option.

I have to agree with Light on this one, it really isn't as confusing as you're making it out to be. The only way for somebody to get confused about it is if you haven't been watching the show since the start of the series... which to be honest, is actually normal for any show that is more story-driven than episodic. That's actually why I lost interest in Alien Force and Ultimate Alien so quickly, is because I never got into the original Ben 10 series. I also don't mean to come off like I'm bragging, but having the ability to go back and re-watch all the episodes can also play a factor on whether or not somebody is confused... and of course, that comes back towards the subject of CN not giving this show re-run slots.

I mean, you said yourself that you stopped watching the show at Season 2... so it's really no wonder on why the whole Caear/Black Knight/Consortium thing is confusing to you.

If you are able to and if CN Video doesn't have them, I strongly recommend that you do, especially "Mind Games". That reminds me, does anybody know if those last two episodes are up on CN Video?

9. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Active Member

While I don't know if this effected the ratings at all but the second season hurt the show quite a bit. The show had a strong beginning strong set up if you will and it's having a strong ending so far as well. however the middle dragged, it was filled with too any unfunny comedy episodes and did little to move on the plot. In season two we seemed to get three filler stand alone episodes for every one that moved on the story and that was not a good thing. It was season two that seemed to lose a lot of the fans and get people to turn away from the show.

Oh and 52 episodes would have been fine for Generator Rex. Cut out some of the pointless comedic filler and well 52 episodes would have made the story move smoother.

10. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

I have to admit that the only filler episodes that I really liked in Season 2 were "Waste Land", "Outpost", "Exposed" "Without a Paddle", and "Haunted". The one that I didn't really like "Lost Weekend", because I honestly don't really like that Kenwyn Jones chick. The by-the-rulebook characters are my least favorite in any show that I watch. I mean yeah, Six has that personality too, but he takes it to badass ninja levels and is a far more interesting character than she is. I do like the episode that she debuted in (Basic), but I kinda thought that "Lost Weekend" was completely useless. Unless we see her again within the last 5 episodes of this series, I think we could have done with just her debut.

Back on the subject of the plots being too confusing, there was something that I forgot to add. I don't know how many times that I've brought this up, but the idea of the Consortium actually started way back in Season 1, when Rylander mentioned an organization in "Dark Passage". And as of "Mind Games", it's really starting to look like that Black Knight isn't as random as what some people think. For those who haven't seen the episode:

And I'm pretty sure that the series' loose ends will be tied up by the end. In "Mind Games", they brought back Peter Meechum and to my surprise, they introduced that shapeshifter EVO that was mentioned way back in "Rabble". The episode "Mind Games" seems like it's setting the end up for something really, really big. I'm getting really psyched to see the next couple episodes, "Target Consortium" and "Enemies Mine".

11. Light Lucario

They aren't available on CN Video. They only have the last four episodes that aired on Cartoon Network up on their video page. I probably will watch both Mind Games and Hermanos at some point, like maybe during the weekend while I take a break from my homework. I've heard really good things about Mind Games too, so I'll see when I can buy them off of iTunes and watch the two episodes.

12. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

A part of me can't help but feel that action cartoons in general might simply be on their way out for now. A good portion of them over that last few years just seem to have tanked, with Generator Rex as another victim of the trend.

13. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

Hmm... now I'm wondering if it's another mid-season hiatus, since there's been no confirmation of a cancellation of any kind. IIRC, the mid-season hiatus for Season 2 happened after "Written in Sand", which was 12 episodes into that season. Afterwards, there was only 7 episodes left to go in Season 2. "A Brief Time of History" is the 12th episode into Season 3, and that once more leaves 7 more episodes to go this season. So techincally, the two episodes that are already on iTunes aren't techincally aired yet.

14. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

They can't do hiatus unless it's 10 episodes but we only have 5 episodes left, it's silly of CN having an hiatus all of a sudden, i still think iTunes will be the one to show the rest of episodes, we just need to wait until monday.

I will see if Latin America will try to show all of the episodes, so far they haven't shown season 3 but probably next month they will or other places like Australia trying to show all of the episodes, i was gonna say Canada too but i heard they remove GR from their program.

15. Tom 5.0

Tom 5.0 New Member

Action Cartoons are not on their way out:), but Cartoon Network Friday Night blocks seen to be:crying:.

16. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

It's just that there don't seem to be a whole lot of successful ones these days, unless they're tied to a well-known franchise.

17. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

I just want them to do something with Breach.
    Besides that, I don't give a crap about the show.

18. BrianLeague

BrianLeague Active Member

Cartoon Network added clips from "Mind Games" and "Hermanos" to their website today, though the episodes themselves are not on their website.

19. Anna

Anna New Member

While you're all dwelling on what went wrong, I'll bring up what went right:

The Ben 10/Generator Rex crossover was a huge hit.

Man of Action has confirmed making announcements regarding Generator Rex and Ben 10 Series Sunday the 24th at the Image Comic Con.

Rumors via FB have included that there will be an anouncement about a Ben 10/Gex Rex Crossover to air this Summer.

I'll keep everyone posted on this development. It is possible that Gen Rex was removed from the lineup in order to air closer to the Crossover later this year.

@king_of_doom

Generator Rex season 2 went into unplanned haitus 13 episodes in, with 7 episodes remaining. "Mind Games" would make the 13th episode of Season 3..with roughly 6-7 episodes following..

HMMM...

20. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

Yes, we have 5 more episodes to go online... but not on CN's tv channel. If you remember back when "Night Falls", "Hard Target", and "Family Holiday" were leaked, the tv channel itself was still putting the show on a mid-season hiatus after "Written in Sand". I think we have a similar situation happening here. When I mean "hiatus" for this situation, I'm only talking about the tv channel itself. The reason why we were able to watch "Mind Games" and "Hermanos" through other means is because the schedule change was quite literally at the last minute, meaning a day before they were supposed to premier. iTunes and everybody else didn't get wind of it right away because it was so sudden, so we were still able to obtain the episodes. Even though that's the case, these episodes still were not aired on the tv channel itself, meaning that CN actually has 7 episodes instead of 5 left to air. I dunno, this is all very strange.