1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

General Election 2008 Talkback (Please Read Rules Before Posting!)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Zach Logan, Jun 4, 2008.

?

Who will you vote for President of the United States?

1. Barack H. Obama (Democrat)

72.7%
  2. John S. McCain (Republican)

16.4%
  3. Other (Independent/Third Party)

6.7%
  4. Abstain

4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delthayre

Delthayre Retired

Nadir, not Nader

As this horrible contest for the most outrageously overgrown office in our infantilized monstrosity of a nation rages toward a conclusion that scarcely promises relief, I encourage all to read this.

#1841 Delthayre, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

No thanks.

The dudes on Inside Washington on PBS were heaping dirt on McCain's grave today, talking about how he lost and why. The only scenario where they admitted he had a chance of winning is if the country is more racist than anybody believes, and even then only a slim one.

I'm not as confident as they are, though. It's politics. Crazy things happen. We'll know for sure Wednesday.

3. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

It seems their use of their "Dark Side"(slime tactics) has corrupted the M-P campaign, causing a Sith-like civil war to break out. When I heard Montana was in play after hearing of Cheney's endorsement, the first image that came to my mind was from Star Wars: "The more you tighten your grip McCain, the more states that will slip through your fingers."

4. Supernovametalstar

Supernovametalstar Active Member

I've been playing around with the CNN electoral map on their website for far too long. I've been conducting my own scenarios that basically turn all the "too close to call" battleground states red, while leaving the leaning states their respective colors. According to my findings, I will be watching Pennsylvania and Virginia. Even if Virginia stays red and Penn. stays blue, then Obama will still win. But if McCain can turn Penn and keep Virginia red, then it's all over.

5. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

Wonderfly, did you end up going to the Obama speech?

6. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Didn't see the show you're talking about, Shawn, but from your description it sounds as though they were out-and-out stating that the only thing that can derail Obama is racism. If so, that's a profoundly unfortunate and troubling statement for them to make, because the subtle (and yet really not very subtle at all) implication behind it is that there can be no legitimate grounds to disagree with Obama's positions on substance, and so logically voters can't honestly be opposing him in good conscience in any real numbers at all -- and certainly not enough to defeat him -- and therefore if you're not voting for him, it must be because deep down you're a racist. But the troubling part of this isn't really the notion that such antics might actually succeed in coercing someone into voting for Obama; no, what's really pitiable in all of this is that such despicable tactics ironically do more than anything else that has happened to undermine and devalue the truly historic character of Obama's candidacy.

Hopefully the PBS broadcast wasn't actually engaging in this deplorable cheapening of race as an issue; but even if they weren't, sadly, I'm afraid it won't mean that this contemptible practice is absent from this election cycle.

7. Wounded_Dragon

I doubt that's what the show really means. All the polls are showing an Obama win. The only way McCain could win is if all the polls are humongously wrong. The only way that could be is if people actively lied to pollsters. There aren't many reasons for people in signficant numbers to lie to pollsters except for racism, aka the "Bradley Effect."

8. Shawn Hopkins

Wounded Dragon has it right. It's a polling accuracy issue. You jumped to a pretty bizarre conclusion there, BonyT. I don't think anybody credible, at least no mainstream source that I've heard, is saying the only reason not to vote for Obama is racism.

9. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

As I said, I was going on your description, not having seen the show -- so yeah, I guess it was an over-reaction certainly as far as that broadcast is concerned, Shawn. But the racism card has undeniably been played in this way (by Obama supporters -- I don't mean to imply that the candidate himself has engaged in this). And don't get me wrong -- I certainly agree that Obama's highly likely to win. But you guys of course do know very well that polls are samplings, and Obama has something of a history of underperforming at the end of the day versus the polls. I'm not saying I think he will this time, because my guess is he won't; but I don't think polls give anything like enough certainty to make it responsible to say that the "only way" Obama can lose is if racism defeats him.

10. Wounded_Dragon

It's not like the Republicans haven't been playing the xenophobia issue, which kind translates in some situations as racism, in others as religious intolerance, in others as anti-intellectualism, in others as anti-patriotic.

When I have kids tell me that Obama is a control freak and a druggie, yeah, I start looking for why they might think that.

11. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

One thing's for sure, folks: We'll all be laser-focused first thing Tuesday night on my stompin' grounds, VA. Polls close at 7P here.

12. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

Only one more day. It's hard to believe that this election is finally almost over, it's been going on for so long...

I think it's too late for McCain to win this. He needed some last second dirt on Obama, but considering that early voting has already had 3/4 as many votes as the whole general election of 2004, I think that even if McCain did unveil something huge, he still wouldn't be able to win. And most people have already decided, so I doubt many people would be swayed by anything McCain says at this point. The McCain supporters already support him, and the Obama supporters have already decided on Obama. Only 2-4% of Americans are undecided, and I remember hearing someone say that a lot of undecideds are just people who aren't going to vote.

edit: And the Arizona Daily Star, of McCain's home state, just endorsed Obama.

13. Shawn Hopkins

Hopefully this will be the last chance I get to do this because she'll slink away into obscurity, but here's one more embarrassing link about Palin.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/03/in-battleground-states-palin-becomes-a-superfan/

Some people might say it's cynical scripted pandering to pretend to like or even know about all those obscure sports teams, but those people would be forgetting that Palin reads every newspaper and magazine. So she would know.

Edit:

Time says McCain has "no clear path" to getting the electoral votes he needs to win. I guess we'll see soon if they're right.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1855843,00.html?cnn=yes

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Looks like little ado about nothing. Showing support for sports teams in the places you're visiting is not at all uncommon. There's nothing remotely embarrassing about that one.

A useful "how to watch the election guide" here.

There's an apparent gaffe from some time ago having to do with Obama and coal. More here. Apparently Biden also put his foot in it here. Those first two links are based out of West Virginia sources, though coal is also relevant to another state--Pennsylvania.

Also, North Carolina has a really dumb ballot system. In NC, if you fill out the party line option, this doesn't include a vote for President. What the hell. One wonders how (un)clear a NC ballot is about this.

15. Shawn Hopkins

I admit it's not as dumb as how clueless she looked on that crank phone call, but you don't think that level of canned, insincere pandering is embarrassing? Not even when she professes to support both sides of rivalries? Not even with the gaffes? Damn it, she better do something else stupid and damaging to McCain soon, then.

Interesting thing I found when looking for more stuff. Australians are following our election and it's making them hate us even more. And you thought they just drank beer all day, rode around on kangaroos and gutted crocodiles with giant knives.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24596867-20261,00.html

Here's an interesting development on that coal flap. The tape was never suppressed like Palin said, and Obama said getting rid of coal fired power plants is "an illusion."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=32228&type=politics

Oh, and she pulls through for me again. She can't tell what day it is without a teleprompter. This one is from Fox News so don't accuse me of librul medier biass.

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/11/02/hoping-for-some-more-time-governor-palin/

The fact that it's quite clear now that she's an anchor around McCain's neck?

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Politics/story?id=6166666&page=1

No? There's still some time left. I'm optimistic.

#1856 Shawn Hopkins, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I think it's a trivial matter, but since you brought it up: as it happens, Obama did that for the World Series. Edit note: In all fairness, I'm fairly sure that most Presidential candidates have taken noncommittal stances when it comes to sports championships. As I said, trivial.

Yeah, the video is public domain, as noted in my first link. It's strange that this is an 11th hour thing. Seems as though the media did slack off, though this is a failure of opposition research too--it would've been better for this to come out sooner than now.

17. Shawn Hopkins

More like last minute desperation. McCain is no big friend of coal, either. He proposes building nuclear power plants that would put coal operators out of business entirely. They both make noise toward possible "clean coal" technologies, but they make them louder when they are in states that rely on coal.

I live in coal country, by the way, here in Eastern Kentucky. And I don't think it will go away no matter who is president. It's just too abundant and efficient a resource. The question is how to find affordable, cleaner ways to burn it.

18. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Beat me to it, GWOtaku. Shawn, no offense, but neither you nor I nor anyone else posted a link when Obama engaged in exactly the same pandering to both sides in baseball. Why? For my part, because I thought it was silly, of zero substance value, useless for anything but distraction tactics, and honestly just not worth a link or the pain of anyone else's perusal. Exactly the same way I feel about the identical situation with Palin.

19. Shawn Hopkins

Wait, it's not identical, though. He did it, yeah, but she does it at every campaign stop no matter how obscure the team. That's the point of the article. It's amusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.