1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Disney Company Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

Disney news... The Ovitz Trial... Comes to an end.

Well after a almost 3 months worth of Testimony.. Today in Georgetown Delaware, the Last of the Ovitz Trial witnesses took the stand to testify on why The Walt Disney Company basically Gave Michael Ovitz a Compensation of 140 Million Dollars..(after working for only 14 months..)

Apparently it seems that this trial is a bit of an Open and Shut case, and in fact the real question here is "Is the Walt Disney Company 'culpable' for hiring and then letting go a person whom they felt was "a bad cause" for Positive growth within the Walt Disney Company..

The Real Questions still remain... and these are some rather important questions..

First off Is Michael Ovitz really still President of The Company? or is Rober Iger, after all this last month, Mr. Iger got a raise of 12 million Dollars for just average performance that has in fact brought the profitability of this company back to 1997 levels..

Also What about Michael Eisner's Comments during the Trial? Have these comments sealed Not only Mr. Ovitz's Fate, but his as well and will Eisner be forced to retire before his supposed 2006 retirement?

and what of the company itself, After all i found out today that Miramax is one step closer to divorcing itself from Disney, especially after in 2004, Miramax was the only Disney Based Company to have profitable movies.. How will this affect this..

Only time (and this year's Shareholder Convention in Minneapolis on February 11th) will divulge any real inkling as to where Disney is headed over the next 4 years..

:coyote:

2. JDWeil

JDWeil Active Member

We're getting an inkling of this since Miramax's next release is The Aviator which is being made in association with Warner Brothers..
    Also there is a question about Eisner's recent raise. Since Eisner has proclaimed himself a lame duck, could it be that that raise is really a "golden parachute" in disguise?

#282 JDWeil, Jan 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  3. tucsoncoyote

Mouse Trap: or Eisner's Golden parachute..

The Phrase is "Golden Parachute" but yes I see what you are talking about here JD.. And I Really wouldn't be surprised if Eisner is developing a "Golden Parachute for when he is supposed to retire.." Namely in 2006...

But there's a Couple of Catches that Eisner has to overcome to really get that "Golden Parachute" to work..

First off is of course the Ovitz Trial.. If the Delaware Business Judge goes in faovr with the "Plantiffs" (The Shareholders, it could mean that not only would Ovitz have to give up the 140 Million Dollar package, but Eisner could be forced to Pay additional (Hidden) costs that could in effect drain some of his money supply..

Also Second and foremost, will the shareholders and the Disney Board more importantly keep their promises to the shareholders an get rid of Eisner before September 2006? I am seriously thining on this issue no..(and in fact I feel Roy Disney has some problems as well First off for Not having an "Alternate List' of Board Memebers at the Ready. and second for believing and trusting in a board which I feel has renigged on gone against the Shareholder and Fans wishes..and that could result in a "Coup De'Tat" by someone on the Shareholders..(After all I think the main issue here is going to be that the shareholders are getting results but not good enough results..(and that's the sticking point.. so they could in theory pull a "Coup" and fire everyone off the board and select an "Independent Body" to run the Term "Pro-Interim" until a Competent and Responsible group could do so..

as for the Warner Brothers issue, I think that there is something else Major going on here as well JD, and in fact that in itself could explain why Disney can run ads with Hilary Duff and Kyla Pratt in them while these two girl are now working for Warner Brothers..(After all Tom Hanks works now for WB, and Disney could in theory ask him to return for Toy Story 3..) but that's another issue..

In short, the bottom line is this.. How "Secure" is Mr. Eisner's Golden Parachute.. and will the shareholders stand for such a manuver of being a lame duck.. I think these are the things that we'll have to watch come February 11th..(Also I would advise keeping an eye on the Disney / Miramax issue. if The Weinsteins leave before February 11th, things could get downright interesting during the Question and Answer sections of the "shareholder meeting this year.. so keep an ear out and an eye open.. cause this year i feel the Mouse is going to get caught in a trap.. and it'll be a small group of shareholders who will make the difference here..

4. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Member

Let me just say that I think it's ridiculous how the thread about a scene that might or might not have been cut from Sleeping Beauty was closed because people were talking about how Disney sometimes censors their older material in it. That was the second example of quasi-nazi-ism I've seen at this site.

5. tucsoncoyote

Don't berate the fans for being the ones who deserve it the most..

Well Harley, the truth be told, sometimes you have to do the research to find out if people are telling the truth.. I sometimes have to dig deep to find the truths and it's not easy.. after all if You've seen all the complaints that the fans are making about The Walt Disney Company you'd be concerned..(A few of us are..(Now sure Maybe I did question the thread about Sleeping Beauty being Censored.. but then what's not stopping Disney from actually doing what is called "Creative editing.." some companies do that in films (Be it animated or not) and in fact that's a fair question to ask any company.. and to get the facts.)

Now if I've caused any problems, I do apologize.. However, if fans don't value Disney Accuracy and Realism, then why don't we all just write to Mr. Michael Eisner and tell him to sell off all the Assets to whomever he pleases, take the money and leave us with just the Good memories and not the bad ones.. Frankly I value Disney, and in fact that's why some of us value it.. We want to see Walt's Dream still remain.. not being forced into some "Shallow Grave" by a souless Entity.. (And that's the difference.. Walt Cared about the fans.. Eisner does not.. if Disney were more complacent and "Fan Friendly" they would listen to what we say..(After all The Real thing we have to look at here is that Comment Made by a Reporter stating that Disney Listens.. they don't really..And it's about high time someone speaks up for not just the fans, but for the collectors..(After all isn't there a lot of Unhappiness in the world today? if fans want disney to survive they need to speak up, else this wonderful Family institution which provides Disney Quality Entertainment is going to be lost.. (Maybe that's somethin to think about when you think that Warner Brothers has gone the same way.. Souless, Uncaring.. Maybe we should just ask our cable companies not to have "Cartoon Channels.." That's ludicrous right? After all if you Cartoons then you should value them not berate them..

Also a Comment to the moderators of TZ.. I think sometimes closing a thread is a good thing.. but sometimes going 'overboard' and closing a thread prematurely is not always the best thing to do. after all Some rather good ideas come out of some commentson what needs to be done.. and others are rather shortsighted, but rather necessary.. after all The fans of Disney are angry.. if they are unhappy they should at least be heard out.. (after all this is a democracy not a dictatorship..

This is really all I need to say..

6. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

I'll be frank, what I think Disney should do is actualy have "Conclusion" eppisodes to thier series if they are going to do set episodes.

Have Kim save the world from every threat, have Lilio and Stich win back all 600+ experiments (But not before a massive battle againt them and Hamerverwehell+ Remaining Experiments) and have...ok, my minds blank for Gargoyles, what were they fighting for again? :sweat:

Anyway, have it like anime if it's set in stone, if the war can come to the end with the aid of Gaint Robots, then surely saving so many experiments with your very own Poké-er-Digi-er-experiment can't be that hard...

7. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The Sleeping Beauty thread was violating the TZ rules which is why it was closed. It was a simple question until the thread got hijacked to talk about Disney management.

8. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Member

My point was, that rule is, [in my personal opinion], stupid. It's one thing to censor explicit or graphic language, but to censor people from simply discussing the fact that Disney censors their own material sometimes? WTF - ishsticks? I feel like I should be calling certain mods here Mein Fuhrer over that. Are people breaking laws by stating their opinion about how Disney handles certain things? Are we discrimminating, or personally insulting anybody? No, no, and no. It seems like a petty "I don't want to hear about it" whine, except instead of covering their own ears and singing to themselves, they're muzzling everybody who's talking about it.

And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if I get banned for this very post. That's how freaking strict some of the mods/admins are in my experience here. I'm up to two warnings already... One was earned for defending American cartoons against an Anime-obsessed jackhole and another for explaining my dislike of Japanese Hentai. It's bleeding ridiculous. And now in the Disney forum people are censoring others from talking about how Disney cut a scene out of Sleeping Beauty??? It is my opinion that some people in charge here need to lighten up, back up, and loosen the freaking reigns. This isn't supposed to be a personal attack as much as a plea. It seems like if we're not talking in happy terms about the latest episode of "Winx" or "Mucha Lucha" we might as well be :ack::ack::ack: else risk getting edited, censored, warned, or banned.

Sorry for the rant.

EDIT: Make that three warnings, as of today.

#288 Harley Quinn, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  9. tucsoncoyote

Pooh Ends, And We're Not Going to Walt Disney World!

Well after 14 and 1/2 years of Legal wrangling, apparently the Pooh Case has come to an end...

According to Reuters, A Los Angeles judge on Wednesday (January 26th), denied a new trial to owners of the U.S. marketing rights for Winnie the Pooh after dismissing the firm's lawsuit against The Walt Disney Co. last year.

Superior Court Judge Charles McCoy threw out the suit last March, ruling that Stephen Slesinger Inc., which holds the rights to the honey-loving bear, had stolen evidence and tainted the case.

Slesinger's lawyers had argued that other remedies besides throwing out the case were possible, but McCoy ruled on Wednesday that the knowledge improperly obtained by the Slesinger family could not be purged and there was no alternative to dismissal.

A Slesinger lawyer said he would appeal the case, which Disney had said could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. The family-owned firm which acquired the rights to Pooh in 1930 from British author A.A. Milne had accused Disney of short-changing it in product royalties, a charge Disney strenuously denied.

So for now.. The Cuddly Bundle of Fluff is still sitting in court.. and yes folks after 14 and 1/2 years.. He's still waiting for a Verdict..

Meanwhile USA Today, Reports that those famous Lines you hear every year at the Superbowl "(The "I'm Going to Disneyland!/Walt Disney World!" are not going to be said by anyone this year..

According to the article, After 19 years, the Magic Kingdom this year is canceling its Super Bowl promotional series in which a star of the game proclaims he's headed next for the Florida theme park.

The Reason for this is perhaps Painfully Clear: The loss of the promotion by family-friendly Disney comes as the NFL is trying to clean up the Super Bowl's image — and restore it to a "G" rating — after Janet Jackson's "Wardrobe Malfunction" fiasco last year. The league, which had no comment, is wielding an iron fist over the costumes, songs and dances during the game this year.

However there is good news in all of this: A Disney official said Wednesday that the decision to bench the venerable "What's Next?" ads is limited to the 2005 Super Bowl, on Feb. 6. He left open the possibility of a comeback in 2006 when, as it happens, Disney's ABC network will televise the big game.

Craig Dezern, a spokesman for Walt Disney World in Orlando, said the move has "no connection at all" with the indecency uproar. He said the timing just didn't jibe with two new theme park marketing efforts now underway: the "Happiest Celebration on Earth" promoting the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, which begins on May 5, and a "Magic Your Way" plan offering more flexible prices and vacation plans for consumers.

"I wouldn't read anything into the future of the program. This is about where we need to put our focus right now," Dezern said.

Allen Adamson, managing director of image consultants Landor, suspects image-conscious Disney might be taking a pass this year to "avoid the risk of doing something live they can't control." But Ross Sutherland, executive creative director of Young & Rubicam, said the ads have become so routine that consumers are tuning them out. "I don't think anyone will miss it. I won't," Sutherland said.

So it appears that maybe that old phrase after 19 years.. has gotten tired.. Or maybe they don't want a "Verbal Wardrobe Malfunction" on this go around..(What with Football players, and viewers alike.." ) but My personal Opinion on this will be.. Will it bother me? No it won't.. Frankly The Innocence is gone, (What after Last November's Desperate Housewive's Incident, it makes me wonder.. Is Disney and ABC Have to start Rethinking it's "Family Values" issues? and if so how will this affect television in general?

Your Thoughts?

10. tucsoncoyote

A Hint of Pixar Returning to the Disney Fold?

Well It seems no one really cares about the Pooh or the Superbowl, but what about Pixar...?

This time last year when things were rough, Pixar (And Chairman of Pixar, Steve Jobs), Decided to pull the Plug on the Disney-Pixar relationship.. and it looked like that Pixar was going to walk come June 2006..

Apparently though, some people are thinking otherwise...

in an article I found today on Yahoo Finance, Some Experts are now calling for a "Reversal of this Pixar/Disney Split..

According to the article,

Now what does this exactly mean for Disney and Pixar? Well a lot....

if Let's say that Disney and Pixar do come back together? Would it be possible for Pixar to start working on positive projects and ideas suchs as Toy Story 3? (After all They (Pixar) Defined the 3D animation mindset with both Toy Story 1 and 2, and in fact their Latest Hit The Incredibles, is talking about making a Sequel as well.. but without the Disney Distribution, well Pixar is in a bit of a leaky boat..

Conversely The Walt Disney Company on the other hand Can easily distrubute anything it wants..(And for good reason, but without the 3D Animation expertise that Pixar provides, well it's going down in that same Leaky boat..)

The bottom line is here.. a rather unique and intriguing problem... Can Disney and Pixar both patch up their differences here that were caused by Last Years Blunder with Michael Eisner and if they can, will a Disney/Pixar Union be really a good thing..(After all a Year in time has passed, and Pixar has continued to grow while Disney has sought other deals..

in short, could Disney and Pixar become the powerhouse they were in 1995? Or even better, could Pixar come in and save the Walt Disney Company from Further embarassment to it's now tarnished image?

Well we can only hope.

Your thoughts?

11. SuperStantzio

SuperStantzio Member

I believe that they can. After it was Disney who was interested in Pixar in 1995 when Pixar needed a distributor. They had some great movies together and I really hope they won't split for good. They can work it out. :anime: :)

12. Dee

Dee What?

Cars is the LAST Disney Pixar film. I went to a presentation given by Disney yesterday and they confirmed this. Also, from what we saw and were told--- I totally doubt they'll work together again. Disney doesn't need anyone to animate. They've already got their own people.

13. tucsoncoyote

Disney War, and Rebellion in the Magic Kingdom, PR Woes for Disney in General.

Right they got their Own Disney Animators (Oh wait they laid them off this time last year when they closed down Disney Feature Animation Florida.. and all that's really left is about 50 or so souls animating in 3D... (Plus the fact that Toy Story doesn't have Pixar's Software..

and this ties back into the "Who Wants to Direct Thread" Elsewhere here on TZ...

But now on to other news.. and this time.. It's a PR Nightmare..

It's all in the form of a book and in fact Reuters has the latest news on this new book, properly Titled... "Disney War"....

The Book itself examines Disney under what I call "A fine Microscope" and in fact could be the "Tell all Book " that might really make light of what is REALLY going on here...and why there is so much "Rebellion in the Magic Kingdom."

Frankly Though Disney pulled a Major Boo boo here.. and that is that somehow it got a hold of a Copy of the "Said Book" before it was released.. and now the Publsiher (Simon and Schuster) is demanding it back.

But that's not the Only thing.. CNBC Has this last week (on it's "On Assignment" Segment. Released a 60 minute expose on this same exact issue, and in fact this really shows how Companies really shouldn't work in "Hands Off" Politics.." (After all Disney was, and in fact is, a "Hands On Company.." In this little 60 minute report, we find out and see three sides to the same story.. "Why is Disney such a sad shape it is in?"

and that's what bugs me.. Frankly it's distrubing to see such articles and reports come out.. (But let's face facts.. the truth HAS to Be told.. We as Fans have to know what is going on here.. and not be oblivious to what is happening.. After all this is Disney's and Family Enterrtainment's life at stake here.. and for good reason..

So we want to probably know.. what happened..?

your Thoughts?

#293 tucsoncoyote, Jan 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2005
  14. SuperStantzio

SuperStantzio Member

I have to agree with this too. Disney is really had gone downhill and with Pixar leaving them next year and no movies from them what is Disney going to do? ANd I think they need to make some changes to the company and start listening to the Fans about what they want not getting greedy with money. and most of the board members and Einser needs to go. I really hope that these changes would come soon.

15. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

16. tucsoncoyote

A split of Ideas at DIsney? (Ige as New CEO?)

I had a friend pass this along to me today courtesy of the New York Post.

The Actual Story:

Now the question is this. Could Mr. Eisner be trying to make Mr. Iger Look Good? Or could he be setting him up for a fall, and could another candidate come in and take over?

Your thoughts?

17. BigKPFan76

BigKPFan76 It's Kimstyle, Yo!

Interesting article tuc.

I still strongly believe that they should be looking elsewhere for a new head for Disney....no one currently employed at the company has the qualifications to implement the kind of reforms that Disney so desperately needs.....and deserves. (for those who know me, you know what i'm talking about)

18. KingMinos

KingMinos A Hunka-Hunka Burnin Something

This one could fall either way... either an Ovitz-type situation (setting Iger up) or a grooming-the-heir/laying-a-path-of-rose-petals type of situation (making Iger look good).

It's interesting how the board comes down on this situation - and interesting how the other potential candidates see it as well ("why try... it's rigged").

Very illustrative of what's really going on at Disney (whether some people like these facts or not - you can't deny the sitch is darn corrupt).

And BigKPFan76... your right. Dead-on right!

19. tucsoncoyote

And that is very true Kingminos, after all I just found today another article in of all Places The Los Angeles Times, that maybe the Shareholders are finally wising up to all the corruption at Disney...

here's the Exact Article:

Now It's rather interesting that I brought this up, and for good reason.. Originally George Mitchell who is now Chairman of the Board at Disney, has at one time worked as an "Independent" director on the board at Disney, however since coming to work at Disney, he's been sided towards Disney's Now Outgoing CEO Michael Einser. Of course i have to state this in a blunt fact. Before George Mitchell came to Disney He was a US Senator for the State of Maine, and gave up his Senatorial Job on the US Senate in order to work for a Lower paying job at Disney.. and in fact it's funny cause intially he was brought into the company as a "mediator " of sorts..

So somehow it raises a question .. How or why is a Politician running the Board at Disney? He's no Businessman, He's a Lawyer and Politician.. And what does he have to do or say about animation? (After all Mr. Mitchell last year when asked by a Film Critic what he thought of his own Movies, (Namely King Arthur) Mitchell Replied.. (I don't Know)

So this also shows how Clueless Mitchell is when it comes to running an Animation Studio board.. In short He's no Ludwig Von Drake..

Your thoughts?

20. KingMinos

KingMinos A Hunka-Hunka Burnin Something

Well Tucson... my first thought is about the shareholders finally getting the point - Disney is in serious trouble, the board isn't stepping in or doing their job, and they need to represent to protect their interests.

As for Mitchell... exactly what you said! ;)

But I'm also amazed the Director of the Board doesn't even know a thing about his own companies movies.

What a farce this board has become... :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.