1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Disney Company Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

Welcome to My world.. Or The Truth Be told!

Actually a very Good question there N310DA, and the answer to that is yes they have.. in fact ABC did it not just once but twice, if not 3 times..(But I'll explain about the third time as it was a special Case...

Back in 1991 when ABC Kids was Disney's One Saturday Morning, they added in 13 episodes that were not seen on the Disney Afternoon on Syndicated TV.. and the show was of course Darkwing Duck, not the reason they did this is that DarkWing was so popular that it got a lot of shows.. in fact it got 5 seasons and 91 episodes.. but 13 of them ended up on ABC's One Saturday Morning as completely fresh episodes.

The Second time it happened.. it was back in 1997 (Just as things at the Walt Disney Company (WDC) were going south...(And of course the Gargoyles fans had a field day with The Goliath Chronicles...which were 13 never before seen episodes that ended up on ABC's Saturday block then as well.

Now the third Time it happened, was when Disney bought out a commodity from of all people, Nickelodeon, and this is that "Special Case". Nickelodeon was still running Doug (Remember that show?) At the time.. ABC/Disney Wanted it.. so they bought the show, and then turned out 13 (out of close to 26 -39 episodes) of the new adventures of Doug, and called it.."Brand Spanking NEW Doug.. (Which was further from the truth as all it did was just make Doug and all the Characters a little bit older facing the exact same issues.. it died after just 13 episodes... and after that .. Disney really didn't do much until now...

N310DA, I can empathize with your position here whole heartedly.. after all Think about it this way.. if the 65 Episode rule wasn't in place, I think Lilo and Stitch would have a good run, I figure about 130 episodes.. after all why do you think the Kim Possible Fans are fighting Disney, and why do you think that they have a website called www.savekimpossible.com? after all they're not only fighting JUST for Kim Possible , but rather for all QUALITY disney shows..and Lilo and Stitch is just as Quality as Kim Possible is..

After all Lilo and Stitch really is a good idea that Disney had, the same holds true for Kim Possible, and in fact Gargoyles was yet a third.. After all the fans aren't fighting to keep just "Their Show" in but are rather trying to keep the Quality in.. that's a major difference... and that's where i stand on this matter.. Keeping Quality in Disney, and not letting junk shows like Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, and Dave the Barbarian (even though there are fans who would just as well arguably say these too are qualtity shows) in..

But also there is another hidden agenda here, and that is to keep Disneyfrom doing what is called "Assembly Line or "Slaughterhouse" Tactics here.. they keep Cranking out shows fast and furious not realizing they are actually detracting from the ideas of Walt Disney.. Namely Quality first.. that really truly shows how far The Walt Disney Company has fallen.. and of course when the fans finally get tired of this, they're really going to have to either speak up and complain to the company.. or just be quiet, Roll over, and Play Dead, and Accept the fact that from now until 2008 that Disney will be cranking out 15 NEW shows..that's a lot even for a Media company that deals with Animation.

As Kim Possible would say... Welcome to my world...in fact it's true what I have just said here N310DA, after all Why do you think everyone points fingers at Eisner only? Well it's easy... cause he is an easy target to mark... but then you have to not only have to blame him, but everyone else around him, Including the Executive board of Disney, and all the subordinates below them. (Including people like Anne Sweeney who runs Disney Channel, and Of course Bob (I'm in 4th Place) Iger of ABC Broadcasting, After all Look at what Iger has done Recently. He's Planning to cut back Monday Night Football for the adults, he's cut back 2 hours of Saturday Programming for the Kids, and he's having is programmers on ABC Broadcasting crank out in "Assembly Line Fashion a Ton o shows that really aren't qualtiy at all. So your anger is quite justifiable here .

All of these people within Disney are just as guilty.. if not more so.. for they have followed their Bosses ordes, and it has cost the company dearly...

So if you think That back on the 3rd of March I sounded Like a Raving Lunatic, well let's say that maybe the rest of the World is Crazy, and i'm just one of the sane ones that knows what is going on.. and there are others as well. after all we do know that What has happened is totally wrong, and some of us really do want to fix these problems.. but until people act, Nothing gets done..but some people will have to act more then others.. Shareholders will have to vote Eisner out of office and replace him with Responsible caring people who will have an empathetic ear to the fans of these shows. and of course The Fans will have to tell the responsible people that are put in what they really want.. After all I too want Not Only KP to Go beyond 65 episodes but also any quality show that would be deemed such to do the same.. and also other things.. after all in my next post, I'll explain this in more detail....

that's really all I need to say about this.

:coyote:

2. tucsoncoyote

Options Disney hasn't tried.. or Why is there so much dust in the vault?

Alright as promised I will tell folks why this is titled as such, and it might surprise some folks as to why I say Disney needs to start rethinking things.. and in a major way. After all there is a lot of Dust in the Disney vault.. It's time for a little house cleaning..

So let's say that the Shareholders do get rid of Eisner and all the "Subordinates" that are causing all these problems... what then? How could Disney regain it's glory? It's easy.. a Simple 3 part step called "Renewal, Revitalize, and Keep."

How does this work? Well it's simple...

1. Renew...

Now Renew is for Shows Like Lilo and Stitch and Kim Possible and any quality (and Again I stress QUALTIY animation out there. After all Renewing a show shouldn't be that hard.. and yes 65 Episodes for some shows are WAY too short..Both the Afforementioned shows show this.. and for good reason..

But a show would need more then just episodes.. It would involve Quality Wiring, also do the voice Actors/Actresses want to still do it etc. and I'm not talking the Simpsons where you plod year after year on the same ideas... I am talking about taking ideas and exploring concepts not yet tried..(Lilo and stitch has a lot of open ground (625 reasons to turn bad experimeints good).

but a show doesn't need to end at 65...

Then there 's

2. Reviatlize.....

Now What does this mean? It's simple.. Like an Older show out there? Like Gargoyles? Want to see new episodes Do the Voice Actors want to do the show? Well if the answer is yes, well then guess what? Revitalizing a show can be done.. after all Hanna Barbera Pulled it off with the Jetson.. they did Spin off shows, in fact take a look at TV as a whole... some shows got spin offs some didn't but the point is why not just take the same show and just add to the library? After all Gummi Bears left a lot to the imagiation.. Gargoyles, the same.. so why not just Add to it?

And finally

3. Keep.

Now This one is really important.. and what I mean is what The Walt Disney Company has failed to do over the last 7 years.. Namely keep good shows on, and get rid of shows that are of "Inferior Qualtiy.."(Though some folks say some shows are "Garbage" but there are those who say that while one show is Garbage, then another show is Golden.. aftr all One man's Trash, is another man's treasure..

but the thing is this.. Disney needs to keep quality shows on.. and get rid of shows that don't work.. some fans have expressed this.. others say no, 65 is all it needs to Keep it fresh.. (But there is a downside to that thinking, namely if it is so fresh, why is it that It's put away in the Vault to gather dust or be run int the ground in incessant re-runs? After all if we can do the first 2 then by keeping current shows online and running will Disney realize that it can be done.. after all there are at least 20 shows that could come back.. but none will until The Disney Company changes it.. or we change it for them..

but that's just an idea.. but I would like to hear other comments or feedback on this..

that's really All I need to say.

3. tucsoncoyote

Frank Thomas (One of the Legendary 9 Men of Disney) Dies at 92...

Alright I've been quiet long enough but I found this just now on Reuters just recently today on Yahoo Finance

One of the "Legendary 9" Men of Disney Animation has passed on at 92..

Frank Thomas, one of the creators of animated Disney Films like Peter Pan and 101 Dalmatians Died today at 92.

here is the report

4. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :sad: . There is no god.

5. SuperStantzio

SuperStantzio Member

May he rest in peace. You will always remembered. :( :(

6. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

7. tucsoncoyote

2004: A Disney Year in Review through a Blind Man's Eyes!

Actually Tommy I did listen to the entire Report, and in fact I might want to make some comments here on this.. and you might be surprised..

First off, When you think about what has Happened to what I predicted.. it's amazing what a Track Record I had..and in fact this might surprise everyone..

(The Only thing I couldn't predict was of Course Mother Nature.. I mean 3 Hurricanes, resulting in 5 Days of Closure and 8 "Reduced Hours" Days at Walt Disney World In Florida was one thing.. but seeing Lower Attendance Numbers Across the Board was the real numbers here.. and for good reason..after all Back in April I predicted that Attendance would be off at the Theme Parks, and sure to form.. the numbers are really there..(Yet You listen to Tom Staggs, Chief Financial Officer of Disney, and he makes it seem Diseny had a Booming year... but then you really Have to Look at some hard Numbers I found over at Save Disney.com and it might surprise you..

Movies this year for 2004 were off.. Way off.. and for good reason..

Let's compare Q4 2003 to Q4 2004 and you can see there's a big Difference here..and Bloomberg Press shows the hard numbers here..

First off for Q4, 2003 You had Both Finding Nemo and Pirates of The Caribbean, and both of these movies were successees, with Nemo racking in $339.7 million and Pirates, a hefty $305.4 million, and along with Freaky Friday (The Lindsay Lohann/Jamie Lee Curtis Remake of the original) coming in with a $110.2 million, plus the home video sales of Chicago,' Bringing Down the House' and Gangs of New York boosted profit last year.

Now compare this to This year's Q4, 2004, numbers and you can see that Disney Had a Major Disappointment.. Mr. 3000,a baseball comedy featuring Bernie Mac, brought in $21.6 million in the U.S. and Canada during the quarter, while King Arthur generated $51.9 million in domestic ticket sales. The company's most successful movies in the period were The Village at $114.1 million and The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement with $94 million.

But then you have to look at all the cost Expenditures that Disney had made on all these films and you find out that even though those Numbers LOOK great.. they're not.. They're numbers that show that Disney Has a Losing year this year..(Big Time..)

but As for yours Truly? Well of the 8 predictions I made (Dealing with Films, Shows, and god knows what.. 7 of them came true.. Including...

1) The Prediction of Accelerated Show Production on Disney Channel (Disney is going to a One Show every 90 Days run. and sure enough in Q3 the announcement was made of 15 new Disney Channel shows in 4 years..(or roughly One every 100 days..)

2) The Lowered Attendance at Disney Theme Parks across the Boards..(And believe me Disney is losing money there..(and that's not Counting the Hurricanes! EuroDisney Just posted a Quarterly Loss equal to if not greater then Q3 2004's $2.2 Billion dollar Operation loss.)

3) The Number of Law Suits currently in cort was a prediction (Not Only Pooh, but also Roger Rabbit, and Now Marvel as well as other companies..)

4) Disney's Advancement into the Technology Areas..(Mickey Mouse Computers? Video Games? Come on.. Disney is an animation Studio..)

5) The Total Abandonment in 2D Feature Animation in Favor of 3D

of course the interesting things that are going to happen in Fiscal year '05 include the abandonment of Mramax Productions and in early '06 the Pixar Animation abandonment.. plus the upcoming Potential Failures of Chicken Little, and Possibly Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, plus Rapunzel Unbraided, pluse the Toy Story 3 and 4 Fiasco.. well Let's just say that by the time Fiscal Year 2005 ends, Eisner Won't be smiling.. in fact He'll be crying in his Brandy and Mr. Whiskers.

Also Disney this year had to pay or will have to pay potentially Stiff Fines... including an E/I Violation for running Ads during Power Rangers, (Totalling $500 Thousand) and of course a Potential $32,500 Dollar FCC Indecency Fine for this last week's Monday Night Football /Desperate Housewives Debacle..

Now folks, 8 months ago, you thought I was crazy when I said Disney was already in Trouble and was going downhill.. Yet today's Report isn't just a premonition or a Prediction..
    It's a Warning..

Leave Eisner in till September 2006, replace him with Robert (I'm in 4th Place In the Ratings) Iger of ABC and let Disney rust into oblivion.. or Get angry.. and fight back.. and speak your mind on this matter..

After all Take a look at the Bottom of this Post (at the sig..) I'm giving folks a right to speak their Mind. After all, Disney Should be run by Carig Folks, not by Inept Businessmen and Women who are destroying Disney Culture..(After all is Harry Potter and the Soccerer's Stone Really Disney? )

In Short folks, This is a Democracy here.. not a Dictatorship.. Disney Belongs to each of us!

After all I hope we can bring back the Classic Disney Afternoon shows, rather then Letting them rot in the Disney Vault, keep current Quality shows running and remove the Bad "Garbage" shows that runs currently on Disney Channel and ABC..

After all a certain Eco-Superhero by the Name of Captain Planet once Said it best...

The Power is yours!

and frankly If Walt Disney Company fades, well you have no one to blame but ourselves about this..

that's really all I need to say..

8. ahwm

ahwm Bad hair day...

SaveDisney Movement coming to a close...

Didn't see much else place to put this, so...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/10333519.htm

Thoughts? Ideas?

9. loyalheart

loyalheart It's Not TV. It's Cliche

well, unless something else is going on, i guess we're just gonna have to deal with disney the way it is, and they built up support for almost nothing, I don't see disney board giving what the shareholders and fans want, now that he's "happy"...

Who's the joke on now?

10. tucsoncoyote

Can we Keep Disney Clean for 10 minutes People??!!!

Now here is a good question to ask... and in fact may i first ask..."Who is He?"

Are we talking about Roy E. Disney? Or are We Talking about Mr. Eisner? Or are we Talking about Robert Iger (See which one of these are you talking about Loyal?)

Second in regards to Roy's Statement Issue about Not putting up an "Alternate Slate.." I think personally it's both a Good and Bad Move on the Part of Roy.. And here are the reasons..

It's a Good Move because he's giving the board a Chance to Respond to this Issue, He's given them a Deadline of June 2005 to either Oust Eisner and Replace him with Robert Iger or Potentially Peter Chermin.. and Immediately eject Eisner without as much of a Severance Package..(Remember the Ovitz Trial Going on is dealing with the same issues Eisner will have to face...

But it can also work against Roy and in that way we could see the Board choose Robert Iger instead of Peter Chermin.. and the results of Disney's Creativity and Quality goes out the window at That point (Remember Loyal, we're talking about the COO here, in Iger's Case, and he's turned ABC into a third Rate Broadcast Channel with the Issues of Getting Rid of Football, and promoting "Non-Family Issues" on ABC..(Or Didn't you read about the Potential Fine that ABC Might Have to pay for their Risque Locker Room scene on Monday Night Football, Promoting "Desperate Housewives"....

Frankly if the end result comes up Iger in 2005 to Replace Eisner, you can expect more of the "Eisner" issues to prevail and in fact Iger will drag The Company Further into problems and by ignoring the Fans, it'll be by 2006, (When The Fans of Disney Channel, Toon Disney, and a few others, get totally fed up with Iger's Ineptness and turn against him by having their Cable Companies remove these channels from their Standard or Advanced Services..(Frankly Loss Revenues from these channels will be made up for by ESPN, Granted, but sadly the damage will at that point be highly Irreversible.. and then it'll be a matter of Time before Disney goes belly up..(Sure they look Strong now.. but they're just like a House of Cards.. any good breeze or Disaster (Be it financial or otherwise) will cause this eventual collapse.. and not even Roy is going to pick up that mess.

That's really all I need to say..

11. tucsoncoyote

Have the Consumers/Fans of Disney become "Disillusioned" by SaveDisney.com?

Apparently it seems that the folks over at SaveDisney have decided not to persue the best interests of either the consumers or the fans of either Popular Disney shows, Movies, or even Consumer Products.. by not giving the folks an Alternative to Michael Eisner.. and in fact that's a sad thing. I think for a while that the magic was there.. and in fact the fans have just given up and figured that they can't fight The Walt Disney Company and it's Corrupt Board of Directors.

Initially when this started in December of 2004, Roy Disney initially had in mind the option to Depose Mr. Eisner, and possibly take back the Beloved Company his Uncle Walter E. Had Created.. but Sadly even with 26,000 consumers and fans wanting this change.. all the best the Save Disney Movement could give was antecdotal comments and in fact just advice.. Sure the March 2004 Election was the high point of Roy's Campaign.. and now.. well it seems Disney is truly dead... and the Fans and Consumers have spoken their Minds..

At this point.. I'm ashamed to be a Disney Fan and or Consumer.. Frankly the Fans and Consumers, rather then speaking up and doing something about it have instead turned to other channels, and bought other products.. that's a real Depressing shame.. and I thought fans were loyal to their Causes.. Frankly it seems that Fans want Disney to Fail.. Will The Board Keep the Promises? Most Likely Not.. Eisner will remain in Power.. and the company while it will appear to be thriving will in in fact be dying of Neglect of Resources, Abuse of Animation Companies, and Distributing stuff that will be lesser in quality then most families will appeal..

Frankly when you get to the Christmas season you're supposed to be happy.. but this Christmas.. it's not about the getting of presents.. it's about the Giving.. and frankly the Disney Fans who have supported the cause have come to not realize.. they're Grinches.. they don't want to fight anymore.. they would rather be cowards and not fight back..(After all they're entitled to their opinions just like I'm entitled to mine..) Frankly being worse the Scrooge McDuck in terms of this support, I would give Disney a few more years of life at best.. unless things change for the worse.. and believe me, things will look good in some areas.. but only for a little while.. entropy will set in and eventually I figure by 2014 or 2015, Disney will be nothing more then a major company that Distributes Animation and not produces it.. in short.. they'll become another Hanna Barbera.. another Filmation.. another 3rd Rate company.. The Folks who support and believe in Disney are slowly becoming "Disillusioned.." The Magic is fading.. and in the end.. the bright and colorful will be dull and drab.. that's a sad commentary on this December 8th.. perhaps Maybe DIsney needs to die.. frankly it's not that I want it to.. The Fans and Consumers do.. They don't want to fight back.. they're being a bit cowardly.. and those who are still supportive.. I still applaud them.. sure maybe we can't bring back the magic.. but we can still try.. after all like Wizards. Maybe with a little thought and a little magic of our own.. maybe we can bring back the magic.. or put this corporate beast out of it's painful misery..

Your thoughts?

12. tucsoncoyote

If this is sucess I would hate to see failure!

Alright time for another piece of Information I keep finding that is really disturbing and it makes me wonder as much as well.. If The Walt Disney Company is Succeeding at what it is doing why does it feel like a Failure?

I think this particular Article writen by Jim Douglas sums it all up.. and perhaps why an Ominous warning is in the forecast..

And for those who don't want to click on the link.. or are just to lazy to do it.. here is the entire Article writen by Jim:

Let's start off this mess ...:

Now what has been said here... seems to me what I have feared all along.. Fans Oblivious to the warnings given.. and ignored.. and in fact I am starting to feel that Disney itself wants to commit suicide by lack of Care.. after all this isn't about dollars and Cents but rather the issue at hand here is perhaps the life of Disney itself is Draining out like an artery has been severed in an arm or leg.. the lifeforce is being drained out.. and that's not a good sign... when Short term investements are all that matter and the fans, Consumers and every last Disney Fans is neglected... That's the real sin.. and in fact we're all guilty..

Maybe at this point I should say.. "I Told you so.." But apparently some people would say I'm whack.. but mark my words.. when the car runs out of Gas in the Middle of the Desert.. you don't have a choice.. you better grab that Gas Can and Hoof it to that Creative Gas station..if you can.. after all it's just a matter of time my friends.. a Matter of Time..

this is just my opinion.. After all I'd like to hear yours..

13. tucsoncoyote

A Christmas Idea for Disney Fans... Let the fans have a say on the board!

Alright I know I'm sort of reviving an Old and dying thread here.. but the time has come to put this whole mess into perspective and give out an idea here... (and yes if you think it's silly, then go ahead and Lambaste me... but this is the issue I am thinking....

Why is it that The Walt Disney Company is currently suffering in terms of quality entertainment? Well the answer is as Plain as the nose on Mickey Mouse's Face.. and it's easy to see.. Business persons Rule the roost at Disney..

Yet I've read over Mr. Frank Wierenga's Proposition and I have to agree with Roy on the issue here... There Doesn't need to be a Disney Family Member on the board for the future.. but rather the board should be made "Independent" and the Governance should be best applied to the fact that maybe a Disney Family Member doesn't need to be on the board, but rather instead.. an Adult Fan of Disney who has grown up with Disney for most of their Life and can understand the legacy of what Walt Left behind could do the job..

In short, the proposition to Roy would be this.. Put some Disney Fans on the Board of Directors... (Okay now Laugh if you want to but seriously, think about this.. I have and it makes perfect sense..)

After all we're all fans of Disney, we enjoy both the Old and the New material that Disney has produced over the years.. but Never have I heard of a Disney Fan or a person who loves Disney shows and Movies of Ever being on the Disney Board of Directors... after all Right now the Disney Board is a bit too Rigid and unthinking. they need some "Fresh Blood" into the Company.. After all I think Disney Fans should have at least 1 if not 2 Members of the board who are Devout Disney fans and who would hear us out and give the fans what we want..

So why am I writing this? It's easy.. It's to promote a new idea.. Let the Disney Fans have a say in the matter... After all The Hollywood Reporter on December 22nd, 2004 said that and I quote "The Fans have a Say.." Yet that's false.. The Fans of Disney have never had a say.. so then why not now? Why Not put a couple of Caring folks (and yes they could even come from the Toonzone.net group or anywhere there is a Disney fan) to hear out the fans' complaints and issues and to bring them and address them to the Walt Disney Company Board of Directors..

After all the fans should have a say.. Right now they're not with tons of Cheapquels and shows that don't have much quality in them..

that's why I am suggesting this.. so that the quality can stay in without damaging the reputation of Disney even further..

(So to Quote Ron Stoppable..: who's the Smart one now?)

14. BigKPFan76

BigKPFan76 It's Kimstyle, Yo!

I think thats a great idea there tuc. After all, wasnt Disney Channel's motto just a few months ago........Disney Channel shows, made just for YOU! I think the fans should be included in the board, Disney is OUR company, not the boards!

15. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

And that person might be... who?

A Board of Directors is almost never composed of cartoonists or fans of the respective company. It's people who know about numbers, about business, and about how to run a company. You are not getting hired in the Disney Board of Directors just because you happen to like Mickey Mouse, it's nonsense.

Executive Producers are, for the most part, people who don't know squat about cartoons. Frederick Quimby produced the original Tom and Jerry cartoons at MGM and he couldn't even learn the name of the characters. Edward Selzer produced the original WB cartoons and he hated Tweety, Pepe LePew and the Tazmanian Devil. The reason? Finding people that happen to be into cartoons and know how to run a company is hard. You either dedicate your life to study echonomics, or to study art, but very rarely you do both. And even if you do, chances are you won't end in a Animation Board of Directors.

The only producers that knew about cartoons were Walt Disney, Walter Lantz, Ub Iwerks, the Fleischer brothers... and that's it, but those were there mostly because they founded their respective companies. Every cartoon nowadays has cartoonists under the management of business executives that do not care for the most part of the cartoons they make. This doesn't apply to just Disney, it's also how Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Warner Bros. works. The only company that seems to be run entirely by cartoonists right now is Spumco, and... they stopped making good stuff in 1992. (Curiosly, all the good stuff they made was under the management of the Nickelodeon executives...)

Sorry to burst your bubble, tucson... but your way of thinking is, well... quite irrational. What you're proposing is never going to happen, not even with Michael Eisner gone... sorry about that, but it's the truth.

And again sorry if I came out as a dumbass in that post, but I think it's something that needed to be said.

16. tucsoncoyote

Anyone who is willing to listen as a Public Relation Person to the cause of the fan Jave, that's who. After all You are right that indeed there are business running the Walt Disney Company, but in today's world, there are too many "Specialists" running the Company and Not enough "Generalists" here.. in short you have probably within Disney a PR Department who gives out bad PR, I suggest that Disney needs to fix a lot of their Problems starting at the top and working their way down, and not just have "Monkeys in Three Piece Business Suits" Dictating what we watch.. that's just poor Business Practice.. and Not Economical by the way..

Point Taken and noted Jave, but still think about this.. some businessmen and some of the boardmembers within the current status of the Disney Board who were asked at a Film preview didn't even know what King Arthur was..(George Mitchell didn't.. and he's outgoing thank heavens.)
    But the thing is that if they're businessmen running a Media Company they should have some experience in animation and art.. (and yes Economics is important too.. but why would a Lawyer who once was part of Southern California Edison be running the head of Governance? That's almost as ridiculous as Having a Banker take his kids to the bank to cause a Bank Panic..(Yes I'm watching Mary Poppins as we speak but that's besides the point..) A Good Board Director should have many skills and not just being a good businessperson.. period..

And that comes back to the issue of "Too Many Specialists and Not Enough "Generalists" when it came to Walt Disney, he was an artist, a Businessman, a Visionary, and a Dreamer, that's 4 different things.. but he also had a Fifth talent.. that of a Public Relations person.. He Listened to what the fans wanted and he did things that were calculated risks..(Disney could have gone bankrupt back in 1940 when Snow White Came out and Film Reviewers Called such an Issue "Walt's Folly" Thank heavens the fans were supportive then. Otherwise this discussion about this wouldn't be taking place right now..

It's funny you state about Businessperson not knowing about art.. yet Da Vinci was an artist, a Scientist, and a Businessman, he was cited as being a Heretic, and was eventually remembered by his creative nature.. (Also an Economics Student should really know how to use English Properly:p )

But when you look at Walt Disney I think he was what is called a "Jack of all Trades" and not a Businessperson first..(In short, he put his Generalization for the fans first and business second.. After all one time an Employee asked Walt how much it would cost to do the clothes for the Dolls of "It's a Small World, and in fact Walt Replied.." you do your job and let me have the Bookkeepers worry about that..(In short Disney foresaw that the person should do what they do best, and not worry about money.. (conversely Disney Always did work with a Profit..why? Because he was also a Public Relation man.. He always visited his parks, and in fact how many times has Mr. Eisner Visited Disney in the last 20 years to talk to his customers? Not hardly at all.. and when he has, it's usually to just be at some rather extravagent Gala that the Park Director was throwing.. but Walt was out there every week until he was unable to walk.. talking to the people and listening to their gripes.. that shows really how great the man was..

and that's because before there were "Specialists" out there Jave, there were these "Generalists" and you see why they were successful.. after all They learned to adapt to adversity and in fact knew what they were talking about .. Most business folks today i hate to say don't know how to act Responsibly or have an issue about Tossing the consumer aside when the consumer is the final say all in the issue..(After all the "Customer is always Right, even if they are wrong, correct?) But sadly the Businessmen of Disney don't even listen to those people that mena the most to them.. Namely the consumers and the fans of the said shows.. after all we know what we like, and what we want to watch.. and we should have a say in this matter, however as of late Disney Public Relations has been so poor that it's laughable..they don't even acknowledge you exist, yet they want you to give up your cash? Well if I had a Company where I didn't take time to deal with a customer then I can expect to lose business right? (See I use Business Logic here..)

Well my mother always gave me a good piece of Advice Jave..
    The Only Dumb Question is the one never asked or pondered..

Think about this though Jave, Do Businessmen who don't know anything about animation really know anyway to run a company? Or is it that their Bottom Line is a Profit and Loss motive.. after all when you think about it.. I'm more interested in seeing the fans happy, and content, and not writing threads that complain about the lack of Responsible Business practices in terms of what the fans want.. After all The Disney Company is a Customer service Compnay.. it delivers enterrainment to it's customers and it should be responsible but is not, ..and I hate to say this but Disney Business as of late has been very irresponsible...and that's a truth you have to live with sorry to say..

17. crimsondestinyx

My Disney Epiphany

:mad: I was watching something on Disney the other night and I saw a trailer for Jake the American Dragon or soemthing like that when it dawned on me... Disney has been failing in the box office lately, most-likely, because they have been devoting a lot of time and money into producing these lame ass tv series that no one wants to watch. They need to get their priorities in check!!! :mad:

18. tucsoncoyote

Question....

Well first off, crimsondestinyx, the show that you are refering to is American Dragon Jake Long, which I might add is airing next Friday evening at 8PM E/P..

But Let me then turn around and ask you this.. How is this an Ephihany when you're saying that Disney doesn't have it's affairs in order..? Are you saying Disney should get out of the Television Animation Sector and go back to Feature Movie Animation? Or are you saying that Disney is spending too much Money and time on some of these shows that are currently running? Or is there another issue here that I'm not seeing? After all when you come out with that type of Statement, it sounds like to me you want Disney to get away from Television Animation and revert Back to Traditional Feature Movie Animation..(Granted it's something that they might need to do, but then you'll have to get rid of every last TV show that Disney Has ever really Produced.. From The Mickey Mouse Club, to the shows Currently running On Disney Channel/Toon Disney/Jetix.. and any potential Future TV shows..

(or is it that you're trying to convey something else. Please explain?)

19. Wolfcruiser

Wolfcruiser Don Karnage,Disney's coolest!

I say this post is nothing more than a redundant Disney bash then anything......

20. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Exactly, and seeing as how I created a Disney company discussion thread a while back, I'm going to merge this thread with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.