General Concert Thread

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by The Cartoon, Feb 26, 2011.

1. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

Love going to concerts? This thread is for posting about any concerts that you've seen in the past, are going to see in the near future. Post about your experiences, the best concerts you've been to, etc.

2. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

The last show Brian and I went to was both nights of the Weezer Memories tour. There was so much energy in the audience and coming from the band.

We're going to be seeing Sick of It All for their 25th Anniversary show coming up on March 26th. Pretty psyched about that one too.

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm not much of a concert goer, but here are some shows I've gone to:

-Beach Boys reunion tour: They sounded so much better in concert than on a cassette tape. Of course, that's to be expected.

-An Elvis impersonator: I saw the show in the Wisconsin Dells. I forget who was playing The King, but I do remember that my sister got his scarf that he threw into the crowd.

-Some country singers: I can't recall who, as it was back in high school during a band trip and I'm not much of a country fan.

And of course, I've been to a few classical music concerts as well, mostly as part of school field trips.

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not too many for me but the ones I have been to are City and Colour back in 2007. I can't remember if he was still touring for his first solo album as I don't think his second album had come out or if he was just doing a few concerts as Dallas is usually with Alexisonfire.

My second concert was actually pretty impromptu as I didn't buy the tickets, have plans on going, or even know who the band were. But a friend out of the blue asked if I wanted to come and I wasn't doing anything so I went with him and some guys from my brother's high school class to see In Flames. First and so far only time I was in a mosh pit, not too bad actually I was worried I'd get elbowed but nah I was ok, although having a 6'4 200+ pounder taking the brunt of it didn't hurt.

My third concert was more or less a check on the old bucket list and that was seeing Metallica live during their Death Magnetic Tour in December 2008. I took my brother with me that time and it was awesome. A number of people from high school, college, and work actually went there but I didn't see them but we all had facebook status' saying how awesome it was:p Still have the ticket stub too.

5. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've only seen two mainstream concerts in my life- Slayer a few years ago, and Britney Spears with my sister and some of her friends during the Oops I Did It Again tour.

Slayer was pretty good, tons of energy and the band can still perform. They did a little more new stuff than I was hoping for, but they nailed "Seasons in the Abyss" and "South of Heaven", my favorite songs of theirs.

Britney... yeah. Not my choice, not my music.:p

My friends and I bought tickets for Iron Maiden in April (last leg of their US tour, no less) and we're going to up the irons hard. Shall be great, and I'll post my thoughts here.

I've also seen a good amount of local acts here. There's some good in there, but too much to go through currently.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I saw Green Day on their American Idiot tour (right before they went south, IMO) and they played everything I loved from their albums short of When I Came Around, Misery, and Walking Contradiction. Great show.

I also saw Reel Big Fish about 5 times, Weezer, Barenaked Ladies, and a few indie bands. I'm kind of tired of live shows, though.

7. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

The only 2 concerts I've been to were at The Taste of Chicago on 2 separate occasions. First I saw Foreigner however many years ago and then I saw The Steve Miller Band last year. I almost saw Creed last summer as well, but that didn't happen.

8. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

I haven't been to very many... tickets just cost way too much these days.

But here's a rundown.

2000 (I think) - George Strait Country Music Festival, with him and a bunch of other country acts in an all-day thing at Sun Devil Stadium.

2004 - P.O.D./Blindside co-headlining gig with Lacuna Coil and Hazen Street. Met P.O.D. and Blindside before the show.

2006 - Family Values Tour. I went only because Dir en grey had a slot but I left liking Stone Sour a lot.

2007 - Dir en grey headlining gig, Fair to Midland and Bleed the Dream as openers. Great show.

2008 - Dir en grey headlining, with The Human Abstract.

2008 - The Aquabats!, with Suburban Legends, Dusty Rhodes and The River Band, and Yo Gabba Gabba's DJ Lance Rock as openers. That's the most fun I've ever had at a show. High-fiving DJ Lance was awesome :D

2009 - U2 with the Black Eyed Peas. Excellent performances from both bands.

2010 - Mike Doughty, at a little cowboy bar in a tourist town called Cave Creek. Most intimate experience I've had. These small gigs are great. Met Mike after his set was over.

9. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

So annoyed that I missed seeing these guys. My friends even said they enjoyed them, one of which never even heard of them before.

The Aggrolites were even opening... Crap, I'm not gonna bring this up again.

That show was probably awesome.

10. chdr

chdr Active Member

I haven't been to that many concerts, but I did see Roger Waters perform "The Wall" in concert a few months ago. Amazing, mesmerizing show, it feels like what the Spider-Man musical was trying to emulate but couldn't.

11. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The last (and probably biggest ever) concert I went to was U2 with Muse opening. I was actually in the standing area right in front of the stand. Pretty darn amazing seeing such a massive show that close. Never been to that huge of a spectacle before.

Plus Muse is awesome, so it was like icing on a very awesome cake. Gave me a new appreciation for U2, but boy Bono can't hit the high notes from the older material now and it is rather obvious :sweat:

I ahd no idea The Edge actually played piano on their songs, so there's your fun fact.

12. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

First concert I went to of my choosing was The Killers when they came to Puerto Rico in November 2009. One of the few high-profile modern American rock bands that I actually like (and yes, my username is taken from the Day & Age song of the same name), and I was really shocked when I found out they were coming here. The local supporting band was great too.

Here's a little anecdote: they were in the midst of performing Shadowplay (their Joy Division cover) when a poor girl in the front row fainted. Brandon Flowers noticed and halted the performance so that security could get her out safely. Then he and the rest of the band restarted the song from the beginning.

13. musicntoons15

musicntoons15 Member

I'm going to see Ke$ha in concert in July...should be interesting.

14. Weatherman

Weatherman Space...not what it used to be
    Staff Member Reporter

The list is insane, including acts I've seen multiple times. I'll try to keep it in as bets an order as I can...

-HFStival fet (POD, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Eminem, Lit, Our Lady Peace, The Strokes, Hoobstank, Paul Okenfold, X-Ecutioners, Papa Roach, New Found Glory twice as one band had to cancel and Good Charlotte)
    -Aerosmith with Run DMC
    -HFSmas Nutcracker fet (Queens of the Stone Age, Zwan, James Brown with The Pie Tasters backing, New Found Glory, Boxcar Racer and Coldplay)

-HFStival fet (The Donnas, Lloyd Dobbler Effect, Good Charlotte, Jack Johnson, The Roots, Chevelle, Jane's Addiction, Audioslave, God Smack)
    -Lollapalooza fet ([FONT=Garamond, Times New Roman, Times]Jane's Addiction, Audioslave, Incubus, Queens Of The Stone Age, Jurassic 5)[/FONT]
    -Aerosmith/KISS twice with Automatic Black the second time

I will pick this up when I am less tired. it gets really crazy from here on out.:sweat:

15. Weatherman

Staff Member Reporter

I am so pissed that I missed MUSE when I saw U2. Thankfully I saw their arena run later.

16. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Huh... Bono hit the high notes just fine when I saw them.

He doesn't on all of them; Bono does on a few songs... mainly the easier ones.

17. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

My first ever concert was a Rage Against the Machine show that featured the Wu-Tang Clan, lol, it was kind of fun and both acts did a great job at getting the crowd into the show. I've also been to other concerts since the Rage/Wu-Tang show, I've made my way to see Korn 3 times, Disturbed twice, Chevelle twice, Shinedown twice, Three Days Grace, Weezer, Metallica, Alice in Chains (minus Layne), and Tool.

18. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

I've been to quite a few concerts, but many of them were small local punk/emo/hardcore/whatever shows during high school that I usually only went to to socialize with other people.

Actual notable concerts/festivals that I can recall include:
    -Several Warped Tours, ranging from 2001-2005(wanted to go to the 2007 one, but had to work)

-Saw Blink-182 on three separate occasions; once during their Take Off Your Pants and Jacket era, and twice in 2004 after their self-titled album. The show in Boise was with Taking Back Sunday and Cypress Hill, and the show in San Diego featured No Doubt(which made for the most fun concert I've been to)

-Saw Good Charlotte, MxPx, and New Found Glory in what, must've been Spring of 2002?

-Saw AFI a couple of times, during their Sing The Sorrow and Decemberunderground days.

-Took a then girlfriend to a Paramore concert in early-2006, over a year before they were well-known(consequently I hold a soft spot for the band)

-Went with a couple of buddies on a road trip to Portland, OR a few days before high school graduation to see The Lawrence Arms and NOFX, having to hastily drive back in order to not miss the ceremony.

-Saw Stone Temple Pilots twice during their reunion tour a couple of years back, once in Salt Lake City in the early summer, and then again in September in Boise(they didn't announce the Boise date until after we had already gone to the Salt Lake show).

-I've also seen recurring shows like The Australian Pink Floyd and The Trans-Siberian Orchestra a few times with the family.

A couple that I've missed out on, and now regret, are Aerosmith and Boston, both in about the 2004-2005 range. I especially regret not going to the Boston show, since the lead singer has since died. I also didn't get a chance to go to Van Halen once David Lee Roth reunited with the band a few years ago, which was another one I would've liked to have gone to.

19. Kieran Pertnav

Kieran Pertnav Self-confidence!

I almost got to see Leonard Cohen in concert, but I missed it because of a stupid school fundraiser. It was on a neighboring Island so I needed my parents to take me, but they both had to work at the fundraiser, and so did I. I'm pissed about that since it was probably the last time he's ever gonna go on tour.

I saw Los Lobos live though, and that was pretty cool. There were a lot of drunk/high hippies dancing badly and calling for La Bamba, which, of course, was the last song they did, but the energy was good and the band sounded good too, and the accordion numbers they did were fantastic.

Also, my life will be complete once I see Bruce Springsteen live. Rent any one of his concert DVDs to find out why.

20. Weatherman

Staff Member Reporter

Other than Three Days Grace it sounds like we've been to a lot of the same tours.