Gargoyles rewatch

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Sketch, May 1, 2012.

1. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I noticed DXD's early morning rerun of Gargoyles is about to start over by the end of the week and was wondering if anyone was interested in following it in a series talkback thread. This is mostly a heads up to let people know they can rewatch the series on DXD starting later this week. As I figured a few days notice would be helpful for setting a recording device and such.

I have only seen some episodes of the series and felt I was well past due to watch the entirety. If anyone else would like to follow along and discuss it as it airs then please mark spoilers or even avoid them altogether.

2. Sketch

Well no activity yet but I'm hopeful I wont end up talking to myself here.

Episode 1 Awakening Part 1 airs Friday morning at 4AM EST / 1AM PST

That means tonight if you pretend Friday starts when the sun comes up.

Set the recording device or stay up and watch it and I'll be back with my thoughts as the episodes air.

3. macattack

macattack I see you!

I followed it along some months ago from start to finish. It's a really good series though it has its ups and downs, and the animation starts getting really inconsistent after the first thirteen episodes.

Pointless trivia: Kenji Kodama, who did storyboards for the Japanese B team that did several 2nd season episodes, directed the Kekkaishi anime.

4. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

It's so heartening to see people still taking an interesting in Gargoyles after all these years.

If you start some talkback threads for the show, I for one would definitely be interested in joining in.

5. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Thanks for the heads up. I set my DVR accordingly. When I was a kid I remember "hating" this show because it didn't look like Ducktales or Talespin. I know I missed out on a great show because it has such a strong following and I am a huge fan of Greg Weisman's other work. This will be my first official viewing of the show where it isn't just background noise while I'm doing something else.

Quick question: Should I ignore the Goliath Chronicles when they show get's up to those episodes? I heard that Greg started his own comic that continued the series from when he left.

6. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

Well, I'm recording this. I'm a HUGE FAN of Greg Weisman's Young Justice and Spectacular Spider Man. I've been wanting to watch this, can any Gargoyles fans tell me of this show is better or on par with YJ and TSSM?

7. Sketch

I'll probably start up the official talk back soon. Been a little busy lately.

8. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

For those interested, below are talkbacks for every episode of Gargoyles!

#78. Angels In The Night
    #77. Seeing Isn't Believing
    #76. To Serve Mankind
    #75. ...For It May Come True
    #74. Generations
    #73. Genesis Undone
    #72. And Justice For All
    #71. The Dying Of The Light
    #70. A Bronx Tail
    #69. Broadway Goes Hollywood
    #68. Runaways
    #67. Ransom
    #66. The Journey
    #65. Hunter's Moon, Part Three
    #64. Hunter's Moon, Part Two
    #63. Hunter's Moon, Part One
    #62. Possession
    #61. The Reckoning
    #60. Turf
    #59. Vendettas
    #58. The Gathering, Part Two
    #57. The Gathering, Part One
    #56. Future Tense
    #55. Ill Met By Moonlight
    #54. Cloud Fathers
    #53. Bushido
    #52. Sentinel
    #51. The Green
    #50. The New Olympians
    #49. Eye of the Storm
    #48. Pendragon
    #47. Mark of the Panther
    #46. Walkabout
    #45. The Hound of Ulster
    #44. Kingdom
    #43. Grief
    #42. M.I.A.
    #41. Sanctuary
    #40. Golem
    #39. Monsters
    #38. Heritage
    #37. Shadows of the Past
    #36. Avalon, Part Three
    #35. Avalon, Part Two
    #34. Avalon, Part One
    #33. The Cage
    #32. Protection
    #31. Upgrade
    #30. Double Jeopardy
    #29. Revelations
    #28. The Price
    #27. Outfoxed
    #26. High Noon
    #25. City of Stone, Part Four
    #24. City of Stone, Part Three
    #23. City of Stone, Part Two
    #22. City of Stone, Part One
    #21. Vows
    #20. Eye of the Beholder
    #19. The Silver Falcon
    #18. The Mirror
    #17. A Lighthouse in the Sea of Time
    #16. Legion
    #15. Metamorphosis
    #14. Leader of the Pack
    #13. Reawakening
    #12. Her Brother's Keeper
    #11. Long Way to Morning
    #10. The Edge
    #9. Enter MacBeth
    #8. Deadly Force
    #7. Temptation
    #6. The Thrill of the Hunt
    #5. Awakening, Part Five
    #4. Awakening, Part Four
    #3. Awakening, Part Three
    #2. Awakening, Part Two
    #1. Awakening, Part One

9. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Yup, Most of us gargfans like to just pretend those never happened.

I'd definitely say it's on par with YJ and TSSM at the very least. Gargoyles is basically Greg's magnum opus.

You guys are in for a treat. ;)

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Except the first one!

James Harvey's rockin' post makes me realize I never read all those old talkbacks. Guess now I will!

11. King9

King9 Embraced One

I actually just watched through the whole series twice recently, but I'd be down for some talkback. It's such a thoroughly great show :D

12. bat313

bat313 Active Member

So far i've watched up to Temptation and i'm really liking this show. I tried reading some of the original talkbacks but there was just too many spoilers. But I am excited because it sounds like the show does a great job of building on each episode and calling back to the pilot.

13. Sketch

Thanks for the links James.

14. King9

King9 Embraced One

Yeah it's very continuity based. By the end of the series it is a complete universe in itself. R.I.P Gargoyles. We will honor your memory.

15. bat313

bat313 Active Member

I tried posting this the other day but toonzone wonked out on me.

I am enjoying this show immensely. One thing I have been very surprised at is the amount of violence and even death that they got away with in a Disney Afternoon show. The multi-part episode City of Stone with Demona basically shattering humans that were turned to stone really shocked me. The writing has been great and the character development is on par with some of my most favorite shows like LOST or JL/JLU. I love how all the events in the future call back to that one night in the past. Another thing that surprised me is all the Illuminati stuff. I can't imagine what they are going to do with that. I’m up to episode 30 I think and I may have to buy the DVDs just show I can watch these more quickly!

Quick question, does anyone know if these repeats are the edited versions?

16. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Bumping this up because this show is so darn good and because I tried reading the individual talkback threads but they are sprinkled here and there with minor spoilers of future events.

The Avalon 3-parter was great. It's funny, I had always thought the Angela episodes were from the Goliath Chronicles. It's nice to see her introduced so early and bond with her father. I"m a little behind (just finished Monsters) but my DVR is full with enough eps for a nice marathon. I really hope they get back to Manhattan soon. I miss Broadway and Hudson!

17. Justy

Justy Now you see me...now you don't

After catch a few eps recently, I'd say they are the edited eps since they sometimes don't show characters (esp. Elisa) getting hit or slamming against walls after being hit. Glad you're enjoying the show!

18. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Watched all 3 Hunter's Moon eps last night. Very awesome! Enjoyed it as much as the 5 part series opener. Great show overall. I'm sad I didn't understand how great it was back in the day but i'm grateful that i got to enjoy the entire show, in HD at my leisure because of DVR. I'm going to watch the Goliath Chronicles out of curiosity but then try and track down the new comics. Is there any comic tie-ins from the 90s when the show was airing worth a read?

19. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

Bad news, guys. Looks like Gargoyles is gone from Disney XD, its time slot is being taken by Fish Hooks instead. :sad:

I hope this is temporary, as this was to be the first time watching the series in its entirety. (the last run, I missed out on the first few eps and some in the second season) And before anyone brings up the Disney video site, they don't have anymore season 2 episodes after "Cloud Fathers."

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Disney actually has all the episodes online on their website now.
    Well, I heard a that a couple are missing though, but I don't know which ones.