Gargoyles #1 - 12 "Clan Building" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Spider-Man, Jun 21, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment on "Gargoyles"

1. *****

56.3%
  2. ****1/2

12.5%
  3. ****

18.8%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

6.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

6.3%
  1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

They live again!

GARGOYLES #1

[​IMG]

Written by:
    Greg Weisman
    Art by:
    David Hedgecock

Released from a medieval Scottish curse, the Gargoyles now live in the rooftops of Manhattan. But all is not safe for them— a mysterious organization called the Quarrymen are determined to see them all obliterated. The gargoyles must rely on each other and their human friends to turn the tide of public sentiment and show that they can live peacefully with humanity.

Comments? What are your thoughts?

2. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

Howdy,

Just noting that I've mirrored this thread on the Disney Animation forum so the DA posters who don't normally hit their Friendly Neighborhood Comic Book Shop or the Comic Book Culture forum will know about this new comic, and can discuss it if they're so inclined.

-- Ed

3. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Didn't realize this was out already.

Being a stickler, penny-pincher and all, I'm going to wait to see where this series goes before jumping on-board. The interiors (as seen in online preview pages) weren't so great.

4. GregX

GregX New Member

I enjoyed it. Still not thrilled with the art, and it was mostly old material, but I enjoyed it. There is some new stuff in there, like a scene with Matt Bluestone and Captain Chavez.

Really, issue 3 is what I'm waiting for. But, I urge everyone who's a fan or remembers the show to pick this up. You won't be disappointed.

5. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

How often is this scheduled to be released? Is there even a schedule or is it just on a "when it comes out" type of thing?

6. GregX

GregX New Member

It's going to come out on a bi-monthly schedual.

7. William C. Maune

William C. Maune TZ News Editor in Chief

I just tried to pick this up, but my comic store was already sold out. He said they would have more in next Wednesday though.

As for the release schedule, I think it is every other month. GregX can probably clarify though.

8. KWKeller

KWKeller Haruhiist

I had the same problem. I had to go to nearly every place I knew of that sold comics just to find a copy of it. Apparently, my normal comic shop hadn't thought there would be much of a demand for them, ordered only a few, and ended up selling out within a few hours of opening this morning. Hopefully, this is a good omen for the comic.

9. Chad Bonin

Chad Bonin a.k.a. Knux Five

Pre-ordered, pre-paid, just read.

Banana Cream Pie man is back...

10. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

That's still my major concern for this series: If we can get a complete tale in each issue, it might not be such a big deal...but I'm not convinced Greg Weisman is use to the comic book format, and thus, I fear it'll take 6 issues to tell a story that could be told in the span of a single issue...and on a bi-monthly schedule, this could take forever just to get the story somewhere interesting!!! I mean, the first couple of issues are going to be catch-up anyway...:sad:

Greg Weisman stated in an interview that he was going to enjoy not being confined to a 22 minute cartoon episode when trying to tell a story, but I think he misses the point in that in this day and age, you really have to hook your readers and keep them interested, and thus, you either have to have a really great cliffhanger, or you have to satisfy the reader by having a complete tale in the span of one issue.

11. William C. Maune

William C. Maune TZ News Editor in Chief

Although it has been awhile, Greg Weisman has experience in writing comics. He worked for DC Comics in various capacities from 1983-91 (including stints as an Editorial Assistant and as an Assistant Editor). He co-wrote 33 issues of Captain Atom and personally wrote 16 issues.

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=7908

12. Azrael24

Azrael24 why?

they sold out at my comic shop too :(, but i'll check again next week

13. Karkull

Karkull Mod of Chaos

My comic shop only ordered one copy. I was lucky to be the one to pick it up.

It's okay so far. If feels derivative of the first story arc of The Goliath Chronicles (the Quarrymen), but it may have been that it was Weisman's idea and others ran with it, and he's bringing it back to his original intent. I can't wait until it goes into purely original territory.

14. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

You can't be sure that the other issues will be like that as:

A- This is also suppose to get newcommers into the fold.
    B- Thing might be different for #3 and up since they'll be non-episode stories.

Anyway, I decided to get an additional copy for my brother.

15. creativerealms

creativerealms New Member

Well he wrote the first and only great episode of Goliath Chronicals and did create the Quarrymen and had many ideas for the series. It's not his fualy the GC team dropped the ball on the series.

16. ThePeterNetwork

ThePeterNetwork Smurf Life!

This comic book came out this week, and I didn't know about it? Why wasn't I notified? For all I know it could be sold out already. :crying:

17. Bagpipes5K

Bagpipes5K Guest

We finally have our Gargoyles back! :) I've wanted to see more of this great show for years. The comic is awesome, and best of all Greg Weisman is part of it. The wait between issues will be agonizing but well worth it. I've gone back to my old sketchbooks and gotten out drawings of gargoyles that I never got to finish.

*feels inspired* :anime:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  18. Weibart

Weibart Intercept Now!

This wasn't bad at all.

The story covers the bases very well. The main cast is introduced very effectively, and all that heavy expository information is worked in pretty smoothly. I thought that Goliath turning to stone on Elisa's porch was a bit too pat, as it ties Elisa and Goliath into the Quarrymen's hunt a bit too conveniently. It was cool to see the Quarrymen and pie guy though.

Artwise I thought penciller David Hedgecock and colorist Will Terrell did a pretty good job. Preferrably, I wish the cover team of Greg Guler and Stephanie Lostimolo were doing the interior art as well, but that's alright. Hedgecock's style is going to take some getting used to, but I thought he did a fine job. Will Terrell did great coloring it, though he could use going with more contrasts, as those later pages get a bit muddy (specifically Goliath flying away from the helicopter).

I'm really looking forward to what's to come. As far as first issues go this was absolutely fine though.

19. ThePeterNetwork

ThePeterNetwork Smurf Life!

Okay, I finally got my hands on a copy of Gargoyles (Thank you, Midtown Comics West). I got a smile out of this scene where this guy shoots Goliath from his apartment window, and then Goliath comes back and bends the gun. Greg W. must have thrown that in there for the comic. :D

The Banana Cream Pie man's name is Vinnie.

I picked up an extra copy for my sister too. I think she will like it. Let's just hope this series doesn't end too soon like "that other Gargoyles comic book".

20. Junjie

Junjie New Member

love the cartoon when i was young... i like the red one ..think it's called Brooklyn.. am i right? i'll get this series no doubt...