1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Games that let you choose to be good or evil

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by OriginalGagBonke, Dec 25, 2009.

1. OriginalGagBonke

OriginalGagBonke Fan of 2-D animation.

Not all video games tend to do this, but however your always playing the hero. But most video games dont tend to go to this direction. Instead of being just the hero, you can choose. To either be good or be evil. So what are games that can let you choose to be good or evil?

2. Magus

Magus The Boss

I'm also curious about this as well, but I know for certain that the KOTOR games does the good/evil thing as well as Fable, Jade Empire, and I hear Infamous too.

3. Chazooma

Chazooma =' 3 '=

Contact for the DS to a degree.
    You can attack NPCs (even shopkeepers to steal their stuff).
    If you do, you gain negative points (I think the stat was called karma, I forgot).

Once you gained enough negative points,
    NPCs would either 1. attack you or 2. run away upon seeing you.

I'm not 100% sure,
    but doesn't the upcoming game Epic Mickey have a system of good/evil?

4. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

A part of me would say Mass Effect, but thinking about it, the morality choices were more along the lines of

Good: I'm a dooey do gooder.
    Neutral: I'm here to help.
    Bad: I play by my own set of rules.

Really the only differences was that you would either get Paragon (Good side) or Renegade (Evil side) points depending on how you responded to the situation at hand, and how the story progressed since you can still have the same ending depending on your choices.

Then there's Bioshock when it came to the helping out the Little Sisters. You could save them all, harvest them all, or a combination of both. Depending on what you did, the sisters would react differently to you, Tenenbaum behavior towards you would vary from her helping you out on your journey or chewing you out for your actions, and you would get another ending. There's a good ending, and a bad ending with two different variations, the only difference between the bad ending depends on how much of the Little Sisters you harvested.

Then's there's Shadow the Hedgehog, I think you could have made Shadow either a hero or a villain depending on what you did in the game as well.

5. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

It's been said before, but the problem with these games is that there's really only one choice. At the very beginning, you choose whether you're going to play good or evil, and then every so often the game gives you a "choice" that reads like: "Press A: Feed the puppy. Press B: Kick the puppy," only it's not really a CHOICE, because all you're doing is carrying through with the decision that you made at the beginning. Then you get +10 Good or +10 Evil points, and at the end of the game if you have enough Good or Evil points you might get a different colour of force lightning, but the plot itself plays out essentially the same. Whoopee.

I think the game that does the best job of subverting this in recent memory is Dragon Age, where there's no "alignment" system to speak of, but you're constantly being faced with actual, tough moral choices where it's highly debatable what the "good" and "bad" choices are, if there even are any. And rather than sliding up or down on a "good/evil" spectrum, your choices affect your relationship with your party members, all of whom have very different ideas about what the best way to react to these situations is. And there's no penalty for playing down the middle, so you can generally try to be as "good" as possible, but every once in a while decide to take a morally questionable action for the greater good, or screw some NPC over because you're opposed to his faction or just plain don't like his face.

There's some real complexity there, it's neat.

6. ThePRPD

ThePRPD The one with the nose.

Shadow the Hedgehog comes to mind. I didn't like that game though.

7. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

[​IMG]

8. LazyReaper

LazyReaper I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
    Infamous
    GTA 4
    Mass Effect
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
    Fable (1 & 2)
    Fallout 3 (Haven't beaten it yet. Just guessing from what I've played so far.)

I'm gonna agree with Mynd Hed on all points about Dragon Age: Origins. I found a lot more depth in it's good/bad rating system than the ones above. Not that they're awful in this department or anything, they're still fun games, but most of them do fall into the "press A, press B" category where the outcome of good & bad is fairly obvious. DA blurs those lines quite nicely amongst your party members.

9. Ickis

Ickis Classic Directors Cut Edition

In most classic platformers you could be good by just dodging the on-screen wildlife or bad by slaughtering it, while some games it made sense to kill the wildlife (some were goons, some were robots) like Sonic and Mario, theres games like Felix the Cat where the wildlife is just what it is and you can choose to kill it or just dodge it. In Doom 3 you can be good by killing all the demons or bad by killing the humans and leaving the demons.

10. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Do wrestling games count?

11. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn deserves a mention, even though the game doesn't really give you a choice. Depending on what chapter you're in, you play with Micaiah's team against Ike's team, or with Ike's team against Micaiah's team. It's not like either side is "the bad side" though, but saying anything else would be spoiling the plot too much.

12. Jigen Daisuke

Jigen Daisuke Member

Deus Ex. A pc game it's right here on my desk. Based on your decisions you can sort of choose your path. Last time I played it I was good. Great game by the way.

13. Ickis

How are you bad or good in those?

14. ThePRPD

ThePRPD The one with the nose.

No.

15. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

Generally speaking, I play games as a goody goody. I saved all the Little Sisters in Bioshock, I was a saint in Fallout 3. I'll usually be bad in second or third playthroughs.

I think Silent Hill: Shattered Memories deserves some recognition here though. You don't pick to be good or evil but every single choice you make as you play the game, from where you choose to go from items to choose to look at, will affect the game in some way, shape, or form. It really taps into your psyche and it's something I've never seen a game do before.

16. Ickis

This isn't too bad or good but in Ace Combat 5 you could just wipe out everything and get a mercanary rank or go for the targets and be a Knight or something like that, I was shooting for Knight but decided to go for Mercanary so I could get more credits, better plane variants, and because your wingman are mostly lazy slackers which was true in Ace Combat 2 and is true in the 360 game.

17. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

I know that the PC game Fable, allows you be either good or evil. There was another PC game called Black & White, in which you are a god and you can either a benevolent god(And you create gentle giants for the humans) or an evil god(And create destructive monsters that attacks humans). Also the PS2 RPG game, Soul Nomad lets you take the evil path.

#17 Bubblegum Girl, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  18. Azrayel

Azrayel Active Member

By choosing to be a heel or face. In Smackdown vs Raw 2009 Road to WrestleMania for Triple H he had to choose to reunite DX (which is a good tag team) or join Evolution (which is the bad faction).

Now back to the topic the only one I think of is Spiderman Web of Shadows.

19. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Maximum Carnage and Seperation Anxiety both allowed you to choose Venom as your character. Granted at the time he was vigilante, he is generally a villain.

X-Men 2 The Clone Wars allowed players to control Magneto.

Then there's Mega Man X Maverick Hunters which allows you to play as Vile.

20. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

The Transformers games for the DS came in two different versions: Autobots and Decepticons. You really have to choose which type you want to be, seeing as you buy the whole game with no other choices once you've bought it.

Also Spiderman: Web of Shadows, again for DS has a choice to play as either Spiderman or Venom.

Most games, you don't choose from the start, you make various decsions as you go along such as A: Agree to rob the bank or B: Decline the offer to rob the bank.

I don't think that games where you play as a villian for a certain level such as: MW2 or X2 count, seeing as they are just part of the game and don't really affect what your character is overall.