1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Gameboy Advance

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by DarkAngel, Jul 25, 2001.

1. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Is the Gameboy Advance out already? Is it worth buying? I know it's only a 32-bit system, but that seems pretty incredible for a hand-held unit. And I'm expecting that it would be better than a playstation since the Advance will be newer. Plus the new game selection should be great, too, considering all the great titles that have been released for the old gameboy.

Are these realistic expectations? Would it be worth it to pick one up? Also, does anyone know whether it would be possible to hook the advance up to a tv like other game systems?

2. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

Yep I got the GBA, and its a lot of fun! Well worth the money, in my opinion. As far as I know though, you can't hook it up to the TV .

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

At one point I was thinking of getting this instead of an old N64 or PS becuase I can play games from the original Game Boy and GB Color on it, which would definatly save me some cash in the gamew department.

4. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, GBA plays all of the old GB and GBC games..it's sweet... only $100 too...hehe.

Plus, it can hook up to the new Nintendo GameCube, and work as an additional screen! Whether it'll show Luigi's Mansion on it, I dunno, but, I know it does hook up to the GC somehow.

The GBA is sorta hard to find in my area though...only color I can find is Fuchsia. I won a Indigo one..and I love it....in fact..I loved it so much..I had to replace the batteries already (it has a battery life of 15 hours). Plus..it has a 50% bigger screen then the regular GB and GBC, and if you press the L button, it'll enlarge the screen so it's a widescreen game. Then, you can switch it back with the R button..so it's a great system over-all, and worth the $100.

Just thought I'd fill ya in on that lengthy post.. :D

-BB

5. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

The handheld is great, but your expectations are a bit skewed. It is 32-bit, but on the whole it's only a bit more powerful than a Super Nintendo. Bits don't matter anymore nowadays, its what you do with the archetecture that matters. And the Gamecube is a 64-bit AND a 512-bit machine... figure that one out.

That said, it's a great little machine. There's piles of games being made for it, and companies are bringing out some of the best 2-D games the world has ever seen, especially Castlevania. Check it out.

6. Vigo Sprax

Vigo Sprax Member

Its great, I just picked up Bomberman for it & I love it. The bigger screen is a huge improvement.

The only thing I don't like is the relatively high price of 3rd-party games...I find it hard to pay $40 for a handheld game when $10 more can buy me a PS2 one.

7. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Yeah. I hadn't considered that the games would be on cartridges instead of CD. That would put it below the Playstation capability. But is it really only slightly better than the SNES? I kind of thought that being 32-bit was a big deal.

I am really glad their doing great 2D games, though. I thought the Playstation and N64 should have done a lot more of those. Castlevania should be great, and I'm hearing the JP3 game is really awesome too. What I'd love to see is a new Final Fight game. That would rock.

8. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I was wondering about that. $100 is definitely a great price for the system, but those do sound like high game prices.

So the screen is a big improvement? I heard that it isn't well lit. And how are the controls? It's been said that it's tough for adults or people with big hands to use. Is that the case?

9. Vigo Sprax

Vigo Sprax Member

The larger screen is a huge improvement but you will need a good light source, if you go outside in the sun it looks 100% fine...its when you're trying to play it inside with the blinds drawn or at night that you'll have trouble.

The GBA controls are kinda hard, I mainly have trouble with the D-Pad and my thumb hurting, wish they would have gone with a stick.

10. The Mad Hatter

Oooookay, back up. Cartridges do not make a system's power inferior, they just hold a lot less data because of the storage medium. The cartridge-based N64 was actually more powerful in most areas than the original PlayStation.

And as far as 32-bit being a big deal, I say again: bits no longer matter. At all. There are so many factors that affect a system's power nowadays, such as processor speed, graphics chips, sound processors, RAM, and lots of other technological minutiae that quite frankly make my head hurt that a 32-bit machine could concievably be more powerful in many areas than a 64-bit machine. Suffice to say that all the technical guts of the GBA put it above the Super Nintendo, but below the PlayStation. Don't be dissapointed, remember how tiny that sucker is--smaller than the Game Boy Color. It's a marvel for its size.

My advice to you is to ignore all the technical gobbledigook and just enjoy the games that appeal to you.

11. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

I don't know - I've got big hands, and I've never had any problem with the controls on the system. If I play for a long time (several hours), I can start to cramp up, but that happens to me no matter what system I'm playing, or what controller I'm using. None of my friends have had any complaints about the size either.

If you've got a Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, or Toys R Us by you, I'd say go try it out - they all have these systems out for play in the electronics and games sections. You can try it in your hands and see how it feels to you, and you can judge for yourself what you think of the screen.

#11 Clayface, Jul 26, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2001
  12. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

That's what I meant. I worded my post badly. That's one reason why I've believed the N64 was at a disadvantage.

In terms of a game console's design, I think I've always look at it like this: the number of bits gives the potential of the system, while the architecture determines just how much of that potential is used. I've assumed that after the N64, Nintendo would do a better job with the architecture. So, I figured they'd make full use of the 32-bit Advance with a better design. But like you said, the GBA is quite a marvel for its size. It's how the system/games play that's really going to matter, and it seems like its delivering.

13. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

it looks fun but i need a dvd player before gba.

14. The Mad Hatter

Yeah, the decision to use carts is the main reason the N64 didn't do all that great.

And bits used to be a decent rough indicator of a system's power, but again, as systems get more and more complex there have become more and more factors that determine how a system performs. Like I said, even though parts of the Gamecube are 64-bit, it still manages to outperform the 256-bit PS2.

Still, if you really want to nail down a rough indicator of a system's power, I'd use processor speed. Here's how they stack up:

Snes: 3.9 Mhz
    GBA: 16 Mhz
    PS: 32Mhz

Then again, this isn't absolute... though the Genesis had a processor that was twice as fast as the Snes, the Snes had better graphics and sound.

Now you know why try not to think about tech specs and just judge by the games.

15. The Mad Hatter

And I should add that the GBA isn't poorly designed... on the contrary, it's amazingly designed. It's just not possible to cheaply squash a system of the PlayStation's power in a package slightly smaller than a Game Boy Color. Again, numerous other factors play a role besides bits. There's absolutely no reason to be dissapointed.

And if you're looking for a great design, you should see how developers are actively drooling over the Gamecube...