Game Suggestions and Feedback

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by Aquadementia, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Howdy y'all!

Welcome to the Fun & Games Board!

Have an idea for a game but need help developing it?
    Have a question about rules?
    Got a comment?
    Got a banana?

This is the thread for all that and so much more.

I hope we can use this thread to develop some creative new games the likes of which this world has never seen!
    Or if there’s a game you want to steal from somewhere else, well, I suppose adapt it for play here to.
    We're just here to have fun, one way or another.

So, if you’ve got an idea or question, let it all out!

2. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I miss the Rule the Worlds, but without Johnny, we have no veteran host. I was never good at hosting, and I lost my graphics programs when my computer died. Those games lasted a while, and had a lot of people involved. By most accounts, they were tremendous successes. I wonder if we'll ever have another.

3. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

First, some details to get out of the way.

If you haven’t done so, read the rules passed down from our illustrious founder. That explains the bulk of it. Them’s the rules.

There are a few minor adjustments I’ll note here because I hope they will only be temporary.

The Sacred Four Post Rule
    The four post rule was forged in the heat of a high board activity.
    As of this writing, things ain’t so active. I’m going to give much more leeway for now.

Four posts or 24 hours should be adequate. And no double posting or unnecessary thread bumping, just like on all the other boards.
    And even there I may allow exceptions, such as games that require a master of ceremonies.

We aspire for the all mighty four post rule to be relevant again. It will be a good day when it’s needed.

Greatest Games
    I’m putting “Greatest” and other list based games on vacation.
    Greatest had a good run. And it may even be back some day. Maybe in new exciting forms.
    For now I want to put it aside and move the board in other directions.
    Maybe there is something to be learned from them to make new games.

But don't let rules get you down.
    The future of this board is in the hands of your creativity.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Since you're asking for suggestions:

For newcomers to this forum (like myself) maybe there could be a "how to play the games" FAQ, or something?

Because as I scout through the archives of this forum, I see several games called "Rule the World", and yet when I look in each thread, I haven't the slightest clue how to play the game (or to start my own game).

5. The Huntsman

Rule the World was like Risk or Civilization. We would have a blank map, and each player would create a ruler and pick a piece of land. In the more basic versions of the game, we would take turns expanding and then attack one another, with the GM rolling dice to see who won. In the more advanced versions, we had to run our economy and purchase things. There was some debate about which one was better, but I preferred the more advanced versions because they gave people stuff to do once the map was filled up. Most of the fun in the game came from interacting with other players, forming alliances and betraying people.

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

How do you openly roll the dice? Or does the person running the game just say "I rolled the dice in my own home, now just take my word at the results?" Some websites have dice roll mechanics where you can roll the dice and the results are open for anyone to see.

7. The Huntsman

At home or online. And the GM usually plays the game as well. It's never been "open". I suppose they could cheat, but that has never been an issue in the past. I don't think any GM has won their game, or at least not Johnny and I.

8. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

Excellent idea.
    There is no way of knowing how many people don't play because they don't know what the rules are.

The first episode of every game should have the rules spelled out in the first post.

I didn't have time to go over all the previous Rule the world games, but looks like The Huntsman has a good hand on things.

Game that depend on random numbers are a problem.
    I could see having a vB code that generates a number, but even that probably wouldn't prevent taking a mulligan.

Reminds me that I've got so many 20-sided dice going to waste.

9. The Huntsman

Not to step on any of the other forum's toes, but why not have a general, all-purpose discussion thread on this forum? One with casual rule enforcement in regards to "spam". Think about it, no post made in this forum counts towards your post totals, so why not have a thread where people can talk about any topic? Just have a discussion, or post funny images, you know? On TV.com, they called those things "Bored Threads". Seems like it might be worth looking into. It could get more people posting in this section, and once the community here is revitalized, maybe more people will join in on the games.

10. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

Good ideas.
    I've had an idea for a chatty type thread, with a twist. Not sure now how well the twist will go over considering recent discussions. I may start that soon and we'll find out. If it doesn't work we can try something else.
    I think I would be ok with conversational threads, but there should be something game-like to it.

I'm trying to think up the right spin on wacky images. There are already a couple of really great ones that exist on other boards; "Strange jpeg depository" and "Weird Comic Book Covers". I should to consulting with an expert or two, I'll have to look at the tv.com threads. Thanks for the advice Huntsman.

I was looking for a good "Caption This" to get things started.

And then there is a game or two that may be bumped soon.

I don't think anyone "got" my avatar ink blots thread. Maybe that would have been a better title. There may be some fun ways to play with the concept.
    People should stop in and I'll ink blot their avatar for them.

11. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

C'mon man. Pony thread! It's so obvious.:)

How about communal story threads? Each poster posts a certain number of words and we build a story. They can go in wild places and have sudden twists.

12. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

I expect if we have any wacky image thread it would have it’s share of Pony Pics.

For a dedicated Pony thread is there any way we can make it More Fun by adding Rules and Restrictions!!?
    … I suppose I should ask …. being responsible and all ...
    For instance “Ask a proper question, get a Pony answer” where you would ask something, the next person would answer with something MLP and leave a question for the next player.

That would be fun.
    Would it be a rotating number of words in a sentence? Like, the fist person gets 10 words, the next 1 word, then next 2 words, until it gets back to a maximum of 10?

Or something where everyone gets a paragraph, or a character?

A "Tale Told Backwards" would be fun, but may be a little advanced.

I'd like to hear more of what you're thinking. Or just start one if it's self explanatory.

On a similar line I was thinking of "Abe Simpson's never ending story" where players leave a line or two of one of Grandpa's stories that never go anywhere.

13. The Huntsman

I don't think everything has to be a game. The forum is called "Fun & Games", after all. I don't see why there can't be "fun" threads to go along with "game" threads. If the community gets built up by allowing fun threads, more people may stick around to actually participate in the games. That's the problem we're facing now. There is no community. All of the old familiar faces have moved on from this forum.

14. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

I'm out to give more leeway then we've ever had before.

The way things are though I don’t think new MLP:FIM images are being produced as much as they used to be.

If someone asked a very serious question like “Are we headed towards the fiscal cliff?” I’m sure there is a funny Pony answer to that. And if there isn't it may spur the creation of new much needed Pony images.

Plus, most of the people playing will be MLP fans. That’s who will be asking the majority of the questions. It could be something in character like “Princes Celestia wants to know why Spike something-something?”

The more I think about it, the better a Pony answers game sounds.
    I didn't give it any thought until Shawn said something, so, if it all goes terribly wrong we can just blame him.

But I’ll wait to see if any other Bronies out there have something to say.

15. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Everyone gets a set number of words per post. Part of the fun is picking up mid-sentence. Or we could do paragraphs is we think we won't have many players at the beginning.

I tried to do pony roleplaying on my pony group, but since no one actually goes to groups it didn't last long. Maybe it would be cool if the answers to the pony questions had to come as if they were in character, from a Pony. And you'd post a pic of the pony you were rping.

Also, I agree that an "Ultimate Off Topic" thread would be cool. There's stuff you can't even get away with posting on the Cafe but here were posts don't even count, why not? As long as the post isn't breaking a set in stone rule.

16. The Huntsman

If you want to do something pony themed, perhaps do this but have it be one of Twilight Sparkle's letters to Celestia. I have seen that done on pony forums, although they generally become vulgar. I do not believe that will be a problem here. However, I still contend that the lack of community is hurting the Fun & Games section - most users just scroll right past it, or rather, don't scroll towards it. I believe creating that off-topic lounge where people can casually shoot the breeze could be a good thing. As I've said before, not everything in the Fun & Games forum has to be a game.

17. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

I don't know. Bingo game is fun.

Not everything has been a game.
    Christmas Crackers isn't exactly a game. It's just some fun.
    Ink blots are a bit of work if someone wants to try their hand at one, but all anyone had to do was post to the thread and I would have made one for them. May even have tried Christmas themed ones.

There should always be something that requires skill or to "engage brain" at least a little bit. Or a twist or theme.

I'm not sure what you two are looking for.
    We can't exactly duplicate the Cafe with some sort of lounge.
    Unless things were bent in some way that they were no longer fit for the Cafe.
    For instance the Cafe has a news thread for current events. Here, maybe we could do something like Muppet News where there would be a Muppet twist.

I did have one chatty thread that I was going to do, but didn't like the results. I suppose I could give it another try,

Letters to Celestia sounds promising.

18. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

There's the "Terrible One Sentence Summary" game.

Basically, the idea is that someone provides a technically accurate but poorly worded line about the plot of any movie, book, game, show, etc.

19. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

Good idea! Give it a try Gatomon. Set it up just the way you want.

My one concern is when it comes to movies we should limit ourselves to those that are more then 6 months old. Because we've got so much activity here I don't want it to drain away posts that should go to the legitimate talkback threads. :tweety:

I was thinking of something like Haiku Reviews or something. Never got around trying it myself to see if it was a good idea.:eek:
    I like your idea though.

20. The Huntsman

In light of the continued lack of activity, can we bring back voting threads and threads like it? At this point, I don't think it's going to hurt anything.