1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Gambit (X-Men)" Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Jan 5, 2015.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

2. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

They marketed the heck out of Deadpool to the point where almost no movie comes remotely close and the advertising itself is part of the movie's art form.

Still holding out hope for Doug Liman and Channing Tatum's take on Gambit and who knows in 2 months we'll get set leaks since it's actually slated to shoot by then.

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Yeah but that wouldn't of worked if the movie wasn't you know generally GOOD and had a lot of positive buzz around it. Especially with how much the film's success was dependent on it's marketing. I mean there's a reason why Snakes On A Plane is remembered only for a Samuel L Jackson quote and it's pre movie buzz... not any of the actual product itself.

Honeslty though with how at this point FOX really only has the X-Men in terms of Marvel Super heroes to use (again can you really see them trying to use Fantastic Four any time soon) they'd want to get as much mileage of that as possible. And yeah there are still plenty of other X-Men projects in the wings but... Gambit's still a popular character and Tatum's still a popular actor. Plus with how long it took Deadpool to get made just because it's been pushed back a couple of times doesn't spell as much doom as I think Forbes is trying to scare people with.

4. Mostezli

This is what matters in the long haul considering it's now the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time. It sort of does not for that opening day/weekend gross which was due to that marketing and the hype/buildup around it and that hype/buildup with respect to movies running at the time. A lot of people were expecting something good.
    The same goes for Batman v Superman, which alternatively isn't generally considered a good movie and many are predicting it to fizzle out.

Speaking of which, there's an example of a movie that had a massive amount of anti-hype and the final product cemented its demise.

• Like Like x 1
    #104 Mostezli, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Worldwide anyway. Technically still not number one U.S as that's still Passion of the Christ.

Actually I'm talking about movies that have a lot of hype and the hype is bigger then the brand name. And Granted Deadpool is a huge deal to comic book fans but was not considered a super A list high tier property thus why FOX gave it a low budget especially when the creative team wanted it to be an R rated flick. So though now it's brand name is pretty high it wasn't at the time. However before stuff like Dawn of Justice or Force Awakens premiered regarldess of how the films turned out they were going to get a lot of money just from people tuning in to watch it first because of the hype and brand of the property. That being Batman and Star Wars. There are very few franchises that have that instant name power but those would be two where you can't really apply the normal rules to.

Actually looking back there was a decent amount of hype for Fan4stic before it premiered. People were decently exited about the trailers and again the studio seemed pleased already ordering a sequel after the first one wrapped up. Honestly the major negativity only started coming in when critics first started getting reviews of the movie that started showing how horrible it was, which led to that Josh Trank tweet which in turn led to it's dismal failings. FF didn't bomb because of terrible hype: it's because people found out it was a bad film. But unlike Jem and the Holograms it wasn't from it's promotional material but the film itself that turned people off. Seriously go back to the pre-release thread on this very board and you'll see quite a number of people were looking forward to the movie... until they found out just how low it's quality was a week beforehand.

6. the greenman

Actually, the rumor mill is Gambit is cancelled, and Limon conviently found another project. Besides, he would of had two directorial films in theaters at the same time.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Which two? I read "Mena" is in January 2017. "Luna Park" seems to be in limbo. As the X-Men schedule, we do know of two slots October 6, 2017 and January 12, 2018 that are currently unassigned and at least three other movies in various forms of development - New Mutants, Deadpool 2, and X-Force but the fact is they're nowhere near ready. I don't think it's shelved though. Gambit seems the furthest along. The shooting script just needs refinement. Media is blowing things out of proportion for views and clicks, imo.

While there are rewrites going on Spring to Summer 2016, Limon does "The Wall" instead. He finishes it in the summer. Principal on Gambit goes on in Fall 2016. Rewrites might be good. They can see what worked for Deadpool, what works for Apocalypse later on, maybe even look at reviews of BvS and Civil War... etc. Gambit comes out a year later in October 2017. After that, he'll probably continue working on the "Edge of Tomorrow" sequel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mostezli

Of course the character isn't near the popularity of the flagship heroes, but even outside of comicbook circles, Deadpool had enough merch to have built a wider audience if the supply wasn't already growing to meet that demand.
    On the low budget r-rated point: which is why I have to circle it back to this marketing. I'm honestly curious to know how much was spent.

Define "decent" amount. I thought all those bts trouble reports predated critic reviews and a sizable number of viewers were turned off from the promo & leaked material.

That sucks for its June production start.

• Like Like x 2
    #108 Mostezli, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  9. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

Yeah, I also remember more negativity than any genuine excitement before the release of Fant4stic. Maybe some non-fans liked the trailers, but every single comic book fan (admittedly, myself included) hated them and all the interviews with Tranks & cast and production news didn't help.

10. the greenman

Well, as the Forbes article stated it could go either way for FOX. Personally, they are nearing first to reach $1 billion this year, I don't they should risk it. After X-Men: Apocalypse in May, they can make an announcement of either or. I'm not sure they want to take another risk on Gambit like they did with F4 last year. The budget is already too high, double the amount for Deadpool.

11. Mostezli

There's a lot of dependent variables - the risk it might have toward this studio is not one of them and that assertion goes beyond Deadpool's outstanding success, since 2014 to be more precise.
    Disney is still more likely to be the first to reach $1 billion given all the movies from the start of the year to even right before Apocalypse's release.

I would love it if Gambit had a lower budget (Liman did do Jumper for $20 mil less), but the projected price tag only elevates expectation (as long as it's not more toward covering the cost of "A-list talent").

12. the greenman

That's true. I completely forgot about Jungle Book and Civil War in early May. No way with those two, Fox can beat Disney to a billion by the end of May.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Kinberg confirmed the delay was to get the script right and the plan is get into production at the end of the year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, at least they're still committed to doing it :sweat:.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. the greenman

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Why? X-Men Apocalypse and Deadpool overlapped in principal photography. Apocalypse was April 27 to late August 2015 and Deadpool was March to May 2015.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, a finished script is a good start :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. the greenman

Yeah, I just still have apprehension about this project. Just like F4, I do hope it blows us away, but. . .

• Like Like x 2
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At this point I just want to actually see Tatum as Gambit. He's beginning to feel like Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1