1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Gambit (X-Men)" Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Jan 5, 2015.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

#21 the greenman, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

3. the greenman

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Actually thinking about it what makes me nervous is that it's going to be kind of a hard sell for Gambit if he isn't appearing in any other X-men Movies before that. Granted the same's true of Deadpool but that character's way more popular right now then Gambit and that movie even in pre-production has been having nothing but good buzz. Stuff like this isn't causing the amount of proper buzz for this film. And granted Tatum's still popular and I have a feeling could even be the big hit of the weekend (man wouldn't that be embarassing if Magic Mike 2 was more popular then Geneysis but it's sad that is just such a distinct possibility) but Gambit's also kind of a harder sell to me. Eh I'll still see it and hopefully enjoy it and hope all these people putting this work on it makes it succeed but yeah moreso then most other films on Fox's roster that's the real wild card... and not in a good or ironic way either.

5. RoryWilliams

Here's the logo.

[​IMG]

And Channing Tatum showed up what is apparently his haircut for the role.

[​IMG]

6. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I hope this does not happened because not a fan Tatum, Can't stand him as a actor.

7. RoryWilliams

#27 RoryWilliams, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  8. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Gambit replacing Wolverine!?

Yeah no one wants that.

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I don't see how that would even work. Yeah Gambit is popular (he wouldn't have all the buzz about fans wanting him in a movie or enough to launch him into his own solo feature if he was) but he has NOTHING on Wolverine. Who in the comics, games, shows AND films has propelled himself into a cultural icon that is the literal face of the X-franchise. I know Fox wants someone who can replace that with Jackman stepping down but even with as much buzz as characters like Deadpool and yes Gambit get, it's not going to be either of them. Honestly maybe if Channing Tatum knocks it out of the park in this (which I'm a bit more doubtful in seeing him photsopped into that Gambit look. Just doesn't look right. I"m sure his actual costume and design will be better but that was NOT a good picture to use) AND a couple of other X-Men movies after that, maybe. But you need to carry more then your own solo movie to be top mutant even with the Fox X-Men.

10. the greenman

I think the next official X-Men film is going to have to save alot of things. We need a new Wolverine, and like DCWB wisely shoehorned Joker into Suicide Squad, it's possible they may do that with the New Mutants. Just like with Joker, there should be a massive search for him now to build buzz and prove they have a plan.

11. RoryWilliams

I think people are reading a bit too much into the "replacing Wolverine" part. I assume it's less of a literal thing and more about them wanting a solo superhero franchise they can spin out of now that the third Wolverine movie is likely to be Jackman's last.

They've been very good with sustaining team movies but not so much with solo films, which is why they're now trying to give such a push to Gambit and Deadpool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Looking at that supporting cast list, and the descriptions for them, I'm not quite sure how many will end up being actual comic characters or original characters created for the movies :confused:.

Considering Gambit's solo film is likely to involve the Thieves and Assassins Guilds, since that's a major part of Gambit's backstory, I could see that being leeway for the creators to develop a more original cast for Gambit to play off of since he doesn't have as big an established supporting cast. Not to mention there aren't that many "iconic" members of the Thieves and Assassins Guilds...

Though I think Vera could be a stand-in for Bella Donna, and there's a few names on there that could possibly be Gambit's adoptive father. Maybe Clarissa is some form for Candra o_O?

13. the greenman

7/25: It is possible. However, Wolverine is THE most popular mutant or X-Man ever. FOX can very smartly build a contingency with Deadpool and anyone else, but they know Logan is their top priority. At least he should be.

It feels too much like X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I kinda hope they at least use a couple of them for New Mutants or X-Force.

7/27: FOX has the budget at over 150 million:

http://collider.com/gambit-movie-fi...ersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Talk about a gamble indeed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #33 the greenman, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  14. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

That kinda feels unnecessary risk. Gambit is popular character, but I'm not sure if his solo movie is going to make blockbuster numbers in the BO. Especially during the year when so many other superhero movies, that are much more hyped up, are going to premiere. You can't even say that Gambit requires big budget, since he has pretty low-key powers (special effects - wise) and he doesn't really have over-the-top rogues gallery or anything like that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. RoryWilliams

On the other hand you don't want to risk it looking too cheap.

Though I was impressed with the visuals in the Deadpool trailer given that it's low-budget by superhero standards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

To put that in perspective Antman's was 130 Million.

Fox is probably planning on making this movie there tax write off for the year.

17. the greenman

Yeah, well 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' was budgeted at 150 mil as well.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=wolverine.htm

The Ant-Man issue I suspect was alot of marketing. They wisely did push this alot this year, without going overboard. Really, it's one of those wait and see. Rupert Wyatt is helming this, and we don't really know which direction this can go.

Apes >< Gambler ?

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, at least for Origins it makes a little more sense...it was Fox's first stab at a solo spinoff movie for their X-Men franchise, so that's a big undertaking, not to mention it was headlined by Wolverine and dealing with his origin which already makes it a pretty big deal :eek:.

And then there were all the characters included in it which, while severely unecessary and to the detriment of the movie in hindsight, probably factored into the bigger budget :rolleyes:.

Though yeah, spending this much on a Gambit solo movie seems like quite a bit of risk when the only thing the movie really has going for it right now is Channing Tatum as Gambit :confused:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. the greenman

Everything you said for that film can be applied for Gambit. I'm still curious what time period this is set in.

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, again like Freddy brought up, Gambit's popular and so is Channing Tatum but not Wolverine and Hugh Jackman popular (especially at the time Origins was released). We haven't even really seen anything from his Gambit, and he won't have the established fan base that Jackman's Logan had.

• Agree Agree x 1