1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Gambit (X-Men)" Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Jan 5, 2015.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

GAMBIT
    FEBRUARY 14, 2019

OCTOBER 7, 2016
    ========================================================================
    FOX Studios has greenlit and announced the X-Men spin-off 'Gambit'. The news came after rising star Channing Tatum spoke to the press about superhero films, and he wanted to play the character.

http://screenrant.com/x-men-gambit-channing-tatum/
    http://screenrant.com/x-men-movie-gambit-channing-tatum-confirmed/

Fox now has it set for October 7th, 2016.

http://www.thewrap.com/channing-tatums-gambit-gets-2016-release-date-fantastic-four-sequel-moves-up/

Now it has a release date not too far after Deadpool and X-Men: Apocalypse, also in 2016.

#1 the greenman, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

So I'm guessing Fox is trying to up it's game to Marvel Studios/DC Levels by having all these movies come out all in one year. I do question an October release date since I guess yeah even by now Summer 2016 is kind of full but... has a super hero movie ever done well then? I guess not many have tried and some action movies do well late September/Early October (The Equalizer for example) but this does seem like a weird gamble. Oh well at least the Gambit spinoff will have the luxury of having the character introduced in Apocalypse first so... guess people can see how they like them there to determine if they'll enjoy the spinoff (and since they're so close there's going to be some times). Honestly I know people are hating on Tatum still but I think he can pull it off. At least it seems FOX is learning from their mistakes with these characters: people love Deadpool and Gambit so unlike in Origins Wolverine we're not forcing them to the sidelines and severely weakening whatever people really enjoyed about the characters. I guess that last part we still have to assume more but I'm sure this Gambit will be more faithful to the source material. Of course will Rogue or any other major X-Men in this movie is still up in the air but I'm sure we'll get some of that here as Gambit will need a solid cast to bounce off of.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Really?! So 3-4 mutant movies in 2016... Deadpool in February, Apocalypse in May, Gambit in October. I can see them delaying X-Force, unless they already did.

EDIT: Liefeld said "Perfectly plausible to see the X-Force and Deadool stand alone film released within 6 months to a year of one another" on a tweet. So perhaps X-Force in February 2017 and The Wolverine sequel later on that year.

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Well I think the Wolverine sequel is suppose to come out March 2017 so I would assume X-Force would come out sometime after that. As honestly we don't know really anything about X-Force whatsoever while we at least have some details info and general release dates on 4 other X-Men related movies now. Especially since I can't see them releasing two X-Men movies a month apart from one another. That would just be bad business on Fox Marvel's part honestly.

5. the greenman

The one thing that hangs over these films for me is timeline. I'm confused about where we are. Are we in the 1980's where the new rotation of the team will be introduced in Apocalypse or are we at
    I only hope we get some answers before 2016.

Off topic, yeah there will possibly be 9-10 comicbook films in 2016. Anything is subject to change though. Talk about over saturation. We don't know what SONY is going to do with the Spider-Man films yet.

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Gambit is in Apocalypse, so presumably the new X-Men movie universe will be taking place around the period of Apocalypse. Though we might get flashbacks of Gambit in the Thieves Guild, so I guess the whole timeline of things might still be up in the air :sweat:.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They've said Apocalypse is in the 1980s with a flashback or so to ancient Egypt. The restored timeline at the end of DOFP was more a wink to the fans and behind the scenes housekeeping. Hard to say when this Gambit film would take place.

8. the greenman

Well Patrick Stewart said he might return, don't know about the others. McCellan said doubtful about his return.

The real reason why it's puzzling is because they would be doing period pieces for three and maybe more films. I think DoFP felt like a return to the timeline we're in. Then there's The Wolverine sequel. So that is what is looming over these films as of now. Not to mention if FOX really wants to merge The FF reboot into the X-Men universe, it would have to be in the 2000+ times. The producers have thus far only told us that this X-Men film will be in the 80's and that Deadpool is canon to this universe, but how? No word on Gambit at all. However they need to catch us up to our time, which I fear they could mess things up if not careful.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They could simply continue with the rebooted present with Deadpool, The Wolverine, and Gambit. After Apocalypse, they can do one more period X-Men movie in the 90s and maybe even show how the original trilogies happened in the new timeline.

10. the greenman

Yeah, see I'm thinking the those films might take place in that timeline too, to keep Jackman on board as fan candy. To use the new cast of the 90's X-Men would take two more films before we pick up their story. Unless both Deadpool and Gambit take place in the 80's. That would be a waste of talent if they plan on using and keeping the 80's cast of 90's X-Men. If they recast ONE MORE TIME to get up to date for another X-film after Apocalypse, then that should be what they stick with. When I state 90's I mean Claremont's crew.

This reminds me of the current Star Trek films and how they're basically keeping them on earth for as long as possible, and in the THIRD film will finally decide to start the 5 Year Misssion.:rolleyes:

11. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Will Mr. Sinister be the baddie? :D Mutant Massacre, anyone? Or it could just be the Thieves Guild...

It annoys me that Rogue probably won't appear due to the age gap. If this film takes place around the time of Origins and Apocalypse, then Rogue would be too young.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sinister is one of the major X-baddies the movies still haven't used...and would probably draw more interest than just the Thieves Guild :sweat:.

As for Rogue...I think it's been said that in the new timelines, characters might show up in earlier time periods than they did in the original trilogy though I think this was mostly intended to explain Angel showing up in Apocalypse. We're not even sure when Gambit is taking place in terms of the timeline, so it might end up being around a period where Rogue could conceivably be in and be old enough to be his love interest :).

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

From Empire magazine, Channing Tatum talked a little about the movie. First draft was turned in by Josh Zetumer, don't expect a 'save the world' story like the other X-Men movies, and how growing up South influenced his love of Gambit.

14. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

(IMO) I don't see this movie being made at all.

15. the greenman

As stupid as a Gambit solo film sounds, I have to hold out hope it can work. It really depends on the tone, and the story. Between DC and FOX, if they're not careful in continuity storytelling they can flub things up.

So far, MARVEL is doing okay even with Feige in charge. FOX seemingly has no one, and is in danger for that.

16. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Simon Kinberg, more or less, fills that role as far keeping FOX's Marvel cbm universe(s) coherent.

17. Neo Ultra Mike

I don't know I think whether or not it will wind up being any good it's going to be made. Usually at this point once a super hero film gets a date and production team and at least actor cast it usually does wind up coming out. Unless there are severe shake ups at the box office or behind the scenes that halt production. Like what happened with Amazing Spider Man 3 and 4 and the Sinister Six/Venom spinoffs that were in the works. But considering the date is actually not even 18 months away that seems like a sign of confidence it's getting made and honestly likely will be worked on once major production work on Deadpool/Apocalypse finishes up. And really that means the movie's going to be in production/post when those films come out so by that point it will be too late to give it any changes. So really I do see it getting done. Especially with how much Channing Tatum is pushing it and how much the industry is pushing him nowadays.

18. Neo Ultra Mike

Well it's good to see they have a director in mind considering the film's suppose to come out in.... 17 months so yeah they probably should get around to actually shooting it in the next few months before 2016 starts. Honestly I haven't seen any of Rupert Wyatt movies (meant to see the Gambler but didn't and honestly after Tim Burton's terrible Apes movie I've sworn off all Planet of the apes related movies) but I'm sure he'll do good.. or at least hope he does good. Then we can say 2016 is at least the year of characters introduced in live action in X-Men Origins Wolverine severely restoring their images to the general movie going consensus.