"G.I. Joe: Retaliation" Movie Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Young Justice, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young Justice

Young Justice Optic Blaster

There's one of the first rumors: Byung-hun Lee To Start Filming RoC Sequel This Year.

There's a full post on the Terrordrome forums

In that post are the multiple sources. I'll paste here for your convenience:

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

I doubt a sequel will be filming as early as this Fall since there's been no writer announced, or even rumored from what I've read. Being that these articles (which I also saw over at HissTank.com last week) were translated, there were probably errors with the dates.

I welcome the sequel, though, and hope they introduce Flint and the beloved Shipwreck, who almost made The Rise of Cobra but was dropped at the last minute, as well as the Drednoks, who could be involved with busting out Cobra Commander, Destro, and Baroness. I also look forward to the movie delving further into the G.I. Joe mythos, which (according to interviews) Stephen Sommers has become a big fan of after making the first one. That means classic Cobra Commander is waiting in the wings. :D

3. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Active Member

Does a movie like this need a sequel? No, because it was a CGI filled mess that tried to imitate Transformers. I am not interested at all in a sequel to movie that had me rolling my eyes so hard that they almost popped out their sockets.

4. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

It wasnt great but I was entertained by GI Joe. I'll take a sequel if made.

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

That doesn't mean those of us who enjoyed it for the popcorn flick it was can't have a sequel. If you're not interested in it, then don't bother seeing it. And it didn't try to imitate Transformers. It was as far from Transformers as one could imagine, given the fact it was much better made by filmmakers who actually understood the property it was based on, understood the characters and their relationships to each other, never lost sight of the fact it was just supposed to be a big fun cartoon, and stayed fast-paced and never overstayed its welcome. :)

6. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Considering that at the end of the movie
    , I'd say a sequel is needed to wrap that plot point up.

7. Michael JJ

Michael JJ Remember to Stay Positive!

Ah, good, the sequel is in motion. The last movie sure got me into the series. I'm watching the first season on DVD right now.

I'm interested in seeing where that sequel hook the left us with will be going. Guess I better look at more of the old school stuff before then.

8. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

They need to make a sequel. I want to see more Joes in the team and want to see more Cobra members too.

9. Young Justice

I'm hoping for more background of Snake-Eyes. Why he joined the military? His relationship with Scarlett etc.

That was the story I was hoping for in the first movie, but I would be happy that could be addressed in some sequel.

10. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011
  11. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Y'know, that kind of explains why Quaid seems to be trying his best to channel John Wayne in the role. :D

Anyway, I liked the G.I. Joe movie and loved their ability to evoke the old show's ability to play everything over-the-top while still having the characters act deadly serious. Watching the whole thing was just like a trip back to a Saturday morning in the '80s. I'd gladly take a sequel if they keep the same tone. Preferably with Flint, Lady Jaye and Shipwreck added to the cast. :)

I liked G.I. Joe much more than the over-long, over-angsty and disgustingly oversexualized Transformers 2.

12. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

I am one of the few people who enjoyed the film so I welcome a second one.

13. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

14. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Looks like 2012 is shaping up to be another big blockbuster summer. With This, Transformers 3, Godzilla, and the Spiderman reboot already.

IIRC Avengers as well.

15. Young Justice

Don't Forget TDK Sequel.

About the GI Joe sequel. I know most of people know what I think, but here it is again:

- Please no RipCord, or at least keep his goofiness to a minimum.
    - Please no Accelerator Suits or anything like that sort.
    - More Snake-Eyes background.
    - More other characters background.
    - I don't know how, but I hope they fix the whole Baroness is evil because she was brainwashed.

I liked a lot the 1st 15 minutes of RoC. I hope the sequel gets the tone of that part of the movie.

16. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Active Member

Yeah, probably too bloated. Godzilla might work better in the Fall, with little competition. I really want this movie to do well.

17. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

I'm sure Ripcord is here to stay, but they've already said the Accelerator Suits would probably be reduced because the actors hated wearing them. I'm all for more Snake Eyes as long as he doesn't become the focus. I liked how he was handled in Rise of Cobra. More characters are probably to be expected (a Shipwreck cameo was cut at the last minute, so I'm sure he'll turn up). And I agree, find a way to keep Baroness evil. What happened with her at the end was about the only thing I didn't like in Rise of Cobra.

Otherwise, I say bring it on! I enjoyed RoC and am eagerly awaiting the sequel. :)

18. FireWarrior

FireWarrior The Ultimate Warrior

I enjoyed the first movie and would absolutely welcome a sequel. While the movie won't be considered a classic in any sense of the word, it was at least entertaining. I cannot say the same for Transformers 2 though, which was an absolute mess.

19. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

20. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

As eager as I am for his Tarzan to finally get off the ground, yes, this makes me very happy. :D Though I was never worried about him leaving, as all the "studio tension" stuff always just seemed like Internet movie hater doings than anything else. Looking forward to the continuation of G.I. Joe on the big screen. Just please give Cobra Commander his more traditional look this time. (Sommers does like the mirror mask and expressed interest in using it. Here's hoping.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.