1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"G.I. Joe" General Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Ed Liu, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ndb

ndb Member

Honestly the recent stuff hasn't been too good. Even Cobra hasn't been up to its usual standards for the past few months. Maybe it will get better by the end.

2. ndb

ndb Member

I might be the only one who cares, but GIJoe Special Missions launches today along with the second issue of the flagship title.

3. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

I'm catching up with the rebooted IDW G.I. Joe books, and I've recently read "Cobra Civil War", and decided to post some comments so we can discuss it here. Hope you like it.

G.I. Joe "Cobra Civil War" Review - Spoilers

[​IMG]

Written by Chuck Dixon and Mike Costa

Art by Javier Saltares, Antonio Fuso, Agustin Padilla, Christopher Ivy, Arianna Florean, Chee, Werther Dell'edera, Ron Adrian, Will Rosado, Robert Atkins, Juan Castro, Alberto Muriel, Casey Maloney.

G.I. Joe: Cobra Civil War #0 - Cobra Civil War Prelude
    G.I. Joe (vol.2) #1-#8
    Cobra (vol.3) #1-#8
    Snake-Eyes #1-#8

Cobra Commander has been killed by Chuckles and the Cobra Council is looking for a new leader. The council creates a contest among Cobra's highest ranked officials that include Serpentor, Baroness, Destro, Zartan, Major Bludd, Tomax, Vargas, Khallikhan, and Krake in which the one who kills the most G.I. Joes will become the new Cobra Commander. With the contest, Cobra catches G.I. Joe on their heels, slaughtering many members and destroying the valuable resources. As to be expected in such a contest, there is also much deceit, coercion and backstabbing among the Cobra officials.

-------------------------

Here are my comments below. Of course, filled with SPOILERS.

- When Chuckles killed Cobra Commander I was in shock. It was a bold move from IDW writers. And then I knew that they will create some sort of contest that would determinate the new Cobra Commander and the contestants would be classic characters like Baroness, Destro, Major Bludd etc. I thought that idea was amazing. Very original. I was imagining how would it be for Baroness to be Cobra Commander, or Destro etc.

- Then they introduced new characters for the contest. New Cobra high profile operatives: Vargas, Kallikhan and Krake. All of them were very interesting. It was about time to have new characters with enough charisma to become future classics.

- The story started. 3 sub plots. One in each title, focusing, appropriately on the G.I. Joe team, Cobra and Snake-Eyes. Right from the start, the stakes were very high. Lot's of Joes getting killed. Most of them were new characters, introduced in one panel, only to be killed in the next. It felt kind of cheap to me, but I don't know any other alternative. If they were classic characters to be killed that way, I think would be worse (Which occassionally happened anyway).

- The writers were very bold: They destroyed the Pit, killed several classic Joes, made Breaker a psychologic broken character (pun intended), made Steeler a straightforward mole. I liked the way they were heading.

- The Snake-Eyes sub-plot was very entertaining. I like a lot this simple missions, small roster of ops, more focused. The Robert Atkins art was amazing. The interactions between Snake-Eyes, Helix, Alpine and Iceberg were very good, and it was nice to see some character development regarding Snake-Eyes and Scarlett. The action was superb. It was my favorite sub-plot of the saga.

- The Cobra issues were amazing as well. Mike Costa was very creative by using the I'll never be Cobra Commander/G.I. Joe routine to show the background of several characters. Each episode was more interesting than the other. Specially the Tomax one.

- But then there were some letdowns: The two new characters that were very interesting were killed, both, in a very anti-climatic way. They had potential to be ongoing characters, but died with no dramatic tension whatsoever.

- Destro was portrayed as a contestant in one of the covers, but he was never one of them actually. I thought that was very disappointing.

- The name of the saga was misleading as well. Some people maybe started reading to see all Cobra forces against each other and it didn't happened. I liked the concept right from the start, and didn't mind the misleading title, but maybe someone out there did.

- The art was very inconsistent in terms of quality. Atkins, Fuso and Saltares were very good. But the others that came in the last half of the saga were much inferior. It was a shame.

- The plots that happened in the last half of the story were also inferior in my opinion. The bio weapon, the BAT.

- About the bio weapon plot, I was very excited to see the Toxo Vipers in action. Maybe I would like even better if they redesign them in a more modern way. But was very nice. But I thought it was kind of lame how they resolved the conflict, by tricking them to believe they were infected. I thought this Cobra operatives would be more competent than that. I also thought it was illogical for the Vargas scientists go along so easily with the idea of creating a cure and testing it in Vargas itself.

- Kwinn appearance was interesting. Looking forward to see if he will appear again and in what capacity.

- In the end, we had a new Commander. And it was not any of the classic characters, but actually the only new character that was not killed or replaced by a master of disguise before the contest, and conveniently, one that no one knows the real face. The Krake character is intersting, as it was showed in his origin in the Special that was released right after. But his choice to be Cobra Commander felt like a cheap move. After all the boldness they showed in the beginning of the saga, it felt they were afraid to go all the way.

- This story had a lot of potential and most of the time it succeed but I think they could have gone one step further and made it even better.

7/10.

4. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

G.I. Joe - Special Missions Vol.1 (IDW) Review - Crush Depth Operation - Spoilers

[​IMG]

Written by Chuck Dixon
    Art by Paul Gulacy

The legendary team of Chuck Dixon and Paul Gulacy lead the G.I. Joe team undercover and into action! The BARONESS tries to get back into COBRA's good graces-and it's up to SCARLETT to assemble a team to take the villainess down!

-----------------

Here are my comments below. Of course filled with Spoilers.

IDW, what take you so long? I've always loved the concept of Special Missions for G.I. Joe back then on the Marvel and Devil's Due run. Smaller team, more focused stories. And this new incarnation of the concept on the rebooted continuity doesn't disappoint.

The writing of Chuck Dixon is very good as always. The plot is very simple, the mission is focused and then we have to time to get to know more about the characters. It is nice to see Baroness trying to get back her position on the Cobra and the relationship of Scarlett and Mainframe heading to a next level, even if Scarlett appears to have some unresolved feelings about her former companion.

I was surprised when Duke chose Scarlett and Mainframe to lead the "Special Team" of the renewed G.I. Joe formation after "Cobra Command". This is their first mission, and they worked well together.

The underwater part of the mission is a highlight, with a lot of thrilling moments.

The participation of Serpentor on the plot is very interesting, fundamental to the plot twist. It's always nice to see his Coil special troopers in action. I liked a lot the idea of his faction being the elite of Cobra, a bunch of religion brainwashed troopers fueled by blind faith.

I like a lot that concept of G.I. Joe, like a regular U.S. elite troop. Even when they are doing extraordinary feats, they look like regular military personnel. I liked that they went that road in this story.

The art of Paul Gulacy is amazing. The scenarios, the facial expressions, the action sequences. He worked well on the military theme. He was good at drawing uniforms, weapons and vehicles. I've always liked his work. I think now it's more stylized than when I first saw him for the first time in the 80's. I thought it was even similar to some recent Frank Miller drawings.

All in all, a very good G.I. Joe arc, simple, straightforward, satisfying. Recommended. 8/10.

5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

It feels like G.I. Joe IDW (and the franchise as a whole) is torn between serious, "grounded" military drama and over-the-top sci-fi action. The last year has really seen a shift towards the crazy, stylized elements of the brand, though that's probably a given when you put a Decepticon on the team. The success of Transformers vs G.I. Joe and G.I. Joe Deviations probably triggered this and so far it's worked pretty well. I hope they can keep up this momentum.

• Agree Agree x 1