Future Warner Archive DVD releases of Hanna-Barbera cartoons

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by dth1971, Sep 13, 2013.

1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Any chances Warner Archive will release on DVD complete series of these Hanna-Barbera cartoon series?: Adventures of Gulliver, Casper and the Angels, Jana of the Jungle, Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch, Yogi's Space Race, Galaxy Goof-ups, C.B. Bears, Cattanooga Cats, Where's Huddles, The New Shmoo, Midnight Patrol, Fantastic Max, Super Ted, Don Coyote and Sancho Panda, and/or 1970 Harlem Globetrotters/1979 Super Globetrotters? I would also like to see Warner Archive relelase on DVD complete series of these Ruby-Spears cartoon series: The Puppy's New/Further Adventures, Saturday Supercade, Laer Tag Academy, Mighty Man and Yukk, and/or Rickety Rocket. But I wouldn't expect Warner Archive to put out little known 1990's Warner Bros. produced series like Road Rovers or Detention or Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain.

2. JVipond

JVipond New Member

I don't think Saturday Supercade is likely to get a DVD release due to intellectual property issues surrounding the various video game characters. The others you mentioned are possible, but again, some of them relate to intellectual property, particularly the Globetrotters.

I am told that Turner Entertainment has at least partial ownership of Hanna-Barbera's animated series of The Little Rascals, but so do CBS Television Distribution and Sonar Entertainment. With Universal's release this year of a direct-to-DVD sequel to the 1994 film, I think the time is right for a DVD set of the animated Little Rascals series, even if it's a manufacture-on-demand title.

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Did Classic Media (now part of DreamWorks) own the rights to the Little Rascals at one point?

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Some of the properties were licensed (i.e. Shmoo, Globetrotters, Lazer Tag Academy), and thus WB might not have the rights to them anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing Where's Huddles get a DVD release, though.

5. ClassicTVMan1981

ClassicTVMan1981 New Member

Does WB still retain the rights to 1979's Super Globetrotters (despite its obvious connection to the 1970 CBS-owned property The Harlem Globetrotters)? I'd think in both cases, more or less, they may have to negotiate with said members of the basketball team, or their families.

~Ben

6. JVipond

JVipond New Member

All I know about the Globetrotters issue is that all three of their episodes were included on The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies.

7. ClassicTVMan1981

The release of the 1979 series could then be possible, as well as the 1980 special The Harlem Globetrotters Meet Snow White, which itself had originally aired in three parts as part of the 9/27/80, 10/4/80 and 10/11/80 airings of Fred & Barney Meet the Shmoo.

In the case of the Shmoo, I wonder how much money the Capp family wants from WB now?

~Ben

8. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

Speaking of Lazer Tag Academy, yes, it was produced by Ruby-Spears Productions, but it's owned by Disney. Other Ruby-Spears programs- Saturday Supercade, Warner Bros. and Nintendo Industries, in addition to other rights owners, continue to work out some sort of agreement, before it finally sees a DVD release. All other remaining pre-1990 R-S programs, pretty much fall under WB territory. Now, 1970's Globetrotters series, just like anything having to do with the Little Rascals, is owned by CBS- all other Hanna-Barbera programs, for the most part, pretty much fall under Warner Bros. territory. WB will have no problem, releasing all programs from its own animation studios. I think that pretty much clears things up.

9. ClassicTVMan1981

I also hope WB can renew its licensing agreement with Classic Media (DreamWorks) to be able to continue to release the remainder of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show and all things Casper (as produced by H-B).

~Ben

10. protege

protege New Member

I'd like to know about Jeannie, and the Complete LAff-a-lympics series.

11. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Jeannie will likely be a "no", as the rights to that show, which was based on I Dream of Jeannie, is currenly owned by Sony.

EDIT: Since no one has mentioned it yet on the site: another HB release came out on the Warner Archives recently: the 1980's season of Johnny Quest.

12. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

You'd think the 1986 revival of Jonny Quest would've gotten a wider release than just going M-O-D through Warner Archive. Please.

13. ClassicTVMan1981

All I can say is that most JQ fans prefer the original 1964-65 series over the 1986 series, to be fair.

In other WAC news: The Super Globetrotters (1979) is being planned for release this year according to a recent podcast about the WonderCon. Let us support to make this happen!

~Ben

14. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I'm personally hoping it won't be the PAL version that TOON and BOOM have previously showed...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

15. ClassicTVMan1981

Me, too... the folks at WAC should restore it to NTSC speed, which would sound like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-BZYeg7IpI

You could ask them about the speed issue.

~Ben

16. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 New Member

Actually, PE&TB did have a DVD release. I saw it at the store where I work.

17. ClassicTVMan1981

And WAC are getting closer to prepping The Super Globetrotters for release (they have no say over the 1970 Harlem Globetrotters cartoon that preceded it, though... ask CBS DVD about that).

~Ben

18. flashmack

flashmack New Member

I'm still waiting for those classic Hanna-Barbera and Ruby-Spears Titles from my wish list:

The List of Hanna-Barbera and Ruby-Spears Shows
    The Ruff & Reddy Show (Hanna-Barbera/NBC-TV 1957-1960)
    The Quick Draw McGraw Show (Hanna-Barbera/Syn/CBS-TV 1959-1962)
    Wally Gator (Hanna-Barbera/Syn 1962-1963)
    The Peter Potamus Show (Hanna-Barbera/Syn/ABC-TV 1964-1965)
    The Atom Ant Show (Hanna-Barbera/NBC-TV 1965-1967)
    The Secret Squirrel Show (Hanna-Barbera/NBC-TV 1965-1967)
    The Flintstone Comedy Hour (Hanna-Barbera/CBS-TV 1972-1973)
    Casper and the Angels (Hanna-Barbera/NBC-TV 1979-1980)
    The New Shmoo (Hanna-Barbera/NBC-TV 1979)
    The Flintstone Comedy Show (Hanna-Barbera/NBC-TV 1980-1982)
    The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (Hanna-Barbera/ABC-TV 1980-1982)
    The Kwicky Koala Show (Hanna-Barbera/CBS-TV 1981-1982)
    Trollkins (Hanna-Barbera/CBS-TV 1981-1982)
    Heathcliff & Marmaduke (Ruby-Spears/ABC-TV 1981-1982)
    Goldie Gold and Action Jack ( Ruby-Spears/ABC-TV 1981-1982)
    Shirt Tales (Hanna-Barbera/NBC-TV 1982-1984)
    The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour (Hanna-Barbera/Ruby-Spears/ABC-TV 1982-1983)
    The Biskitts (Hanna-Barbera/CBS-TV 1983-1984)
    Rubik, the Amazing Cube (Ruby-Spears/ABC-TV 1983-1984)
    The Puppy's Further Adventures (Ruby-Spears/ABC-TV 1983-1984)

19. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

Two of those would have to get clearances from DreamWorks Animation, because it was under Classic Media's jurisdiction, namely both Casper and Richie Rich- everything else should be good to go under Warner Archive Collection.

20. HombreSinNombre

HombreSinNombre Bile Spewer

WHV released a volume of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show years ago and WA put out Casper's First Christmas as part of the Hanna-Barbera Christmas Classics Collection.

For Ruby-Spears series, I'd like to see the rest of Mister T as well as Turbo Teen. They are horrible but I love them anyway ;).