1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Future of the Flintstones

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by 88fingers, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Uh, Elmer is Arthur Q Bryan!
    (I would say Jeff Bergman has done a good rendition of the Alan Reed voice.)

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I'd just like to point out that Mel Blanc didn't start voicing Elmer until 1959, after Elmer's original VA, Arthur Q. Bryan, passed away. So using the above logic, you would say that Arthur Q. Bryan is Elmer.

Also, you refuse to accept new VAs for Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty after the passing of the original VAs, yet you're OK with live actors playing the parts? Interesting...

In regards to this:
    Not to be Ricky Realist, but Mr. Castellanetta is going to stop voicing Homer one day. Maybe not tomorrow or next month or next year, but eventually he'll stop either for reason of death, retirement or for some other reason, and if the Simpsons franchise is continuing in some way, shape or form (which is likely), then someone else will take over voicing Homer. Of course, there will initially be hardcore fans who typically resist change who will hate the new VA at first, but if the new material is fresh, well written and entertaining, they'll eventually adapt and learn to accept the new VAs. It happened with The Flintstones, it happened with Looney Tunes and and it will eventually happen with The Simpsons.

#42 Goldstar Neo, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
  3. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Sad really.

If Bill and Joe were still with us, I guarantee that they would've done something to commemorate the anniversary of The Flintstones. After all, it was their most successful property. It's a shame how WB has treated the H-B gang outside of Scooby and Tom & Jerry; though I see their now starting to get behind Yogi.

4. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

As long as Post continue to make Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles, they'll always be Flintstones. But anyway, I wouldn't mind another live action movie.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

That's because Yogi has a new movie in the works.

They also have a brand of childrens' vitamins which is named after them. But that's kind of off-point. The question being raised here is whether or not the Flintstones franchise has any teeth left in it for it to be used for any other purpose aside from shilling products. To which I say, unless someone who really and truly cares about the franchise and has some truly mind-blowing ideas for it comes along, it's probably best to just leave it be.

Personally, I'm tired of Hollywood continually trying to translate cartoons into live-action. Most cartoons simply don't work in live-action, and the writing and execution is often so sub-par that they're usually not worth the effort. I mean, if producers are willing to go through all that trouble and spend so much money, then why not just make animated movies? Good animated movies preferably. But then, it should be noted that I wasn't all that big on the previous LA Flintstones movies.

#45 Silverstar, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
  6. Cartoon-Buffoon

The idea of an ADULT Flintstones cartoon series is pure genius. New art style while keeping the base idea. That would be something I would love to see. :D

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

How well such a show would work would depend on the time slot and demographic it would be aimed at. 8 to 10PM is about as "adult" as I could see such a show working; anything more "mature" than that would be a hard sell; The Flintstones have been regarded as family friendly for several decades now, and they're still shilling kids' products, so I imagine WB Animation wouldn't want to "color" the Flintstones' image by making the show and the characters too hard-edged.

8. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity Active Member

Hence the failure and burial of Flintstones: On the Rocks. It was a terrific movie but a bit more adult than Warner would have liked.

9. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

The closest we'll ever get to a hard edged 'adult' Flinstones is the one episode of Harvey Birdman: AAL, and it doesn't even look like Adult Swim's going to go near any of the old school HB characters in the immediate future, outside of what Robot Chicken comes up with.