1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Future of the Flintstones

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by 88fingers, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 88fingers

88fingers Member

This is a speculative thread, but I think worthwhile to put out there. For Flinstones fans (I'm one, obviously), where do you see the future of the franchise? We see Scooby go into new iterations both live action and animated every few years; Yogi and the Jetsons will supposedly have new live action films, something Flintstones have already had their turn doing. The whole series is now out on DVD. The Flintstones on the Rocks impressed many of us (including me) but that was back in 2000 and never led to anything else and, in fact, seems to have been buried, one has to struggle even to find it.

Maybe a better question is: Is there a future for the Flintstones? Or has the franchise gone extinct except for whatever merchandise or licensing value (cereal, vitamins) it has? If anyone thinks it has run out of gas, do you think it's because it legitimately ran its creative course, or has been mishandled in the years since the original series?

Has anyone heard of any new Flintstones projects in the works, besides a Broadway play? Maybe I shouldn't say "besides." The Broadway plan just doesn't count to me, for some reason, but maybe that's wrong of me to think. I guess I'd hope for an animated future of some sort.

#1 88fingers, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
  2. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity Active Member

Good question. I always felt that CN/Adult Swim missed the boat by not doing an Adult Swim Flintstones series that is a continuation of the original. They could have called the first episode "Episode 167" to indicate that it is a continuation of the original series.

One thing that surprised me about the treatment of all the HB properties by Warner (and not just the Flintstones) is that they have never used Scooby-Doo and Tom and Jerry to reintroduce some of the other HB characters. You would think they would use as many of the characters as possible so they could have more characters to market and base merchandising on.

3. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

I agree, I think the best way to continue the Flintstones would be as a mature yet family friendly series maybe airing around 10pm. That way it would be safe for kids to watch, but written in an intellgent way that older fans of the original series would still enjoy it.

4. 88fingers

88fingers Member

I think you guys are right, and I'd have thought Flintstones on the Rocks would have been the model or pilot for that new series. Yet, they did the complete opposite and stuffed it under the rug.

5. Fibber Fox

Fibber Fox Member

I'm one of those who says "leave it be."

The original voice actors are gone, most of the original animators and writers are gone. If they bring it back, it'll be executived to death and ruined.

You can't bring back the past.

F. Fox
    http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

6. STARTOUNZ

STARTOUNZ Best buds since the Stone Age

I say "Leave it be" as well. To me, CN started to ruin it with the On the Rocks movie, with the animation quality being worse than even the show's earliest episodes. It definitely went in the wrong direction after the 90's movies in which Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm got married and had the twins. The proper followup from that should have been something like Flintstones: The Next Generation that should have split episodes with P&BB's family in Hollyrock and Fred and company in Bedrock with each making occasional visits to the other for family get-togethers.

But as mentioned, the majority of VA's, animators, and writers have passed away and today's bunch would be unlikely to bring back that old magic that made the original series the success it was. On the Rocks proved this with the poor animation and the recycled plot.

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Put me down as "let it be", too.

Even though the series marks its 50th anniversary next year, has Cartoon Network bothered to even plan anything to mark the occasion, short of acquiring the live-action movies? Not that any of us know of. We know that CN is staffed by 30-somethings and younger who don't give a rat's butt about the classics of the past.

On the Rocks aside, the last most of you saw Fred was in an ep of Harvey Birdman where he was reimagined as a sort of gangster in a spoof of the Godfather movies. Given the shoddy treatment Williams St. has given a lot of H-B's characters from the 60's & 70's, this is not a surprise.

If I'm a programmer at CN, I start planning for the Flintstones @ 50 in September right now, to make sure we get it right.

8. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

Considering some of the "reimagined' characterizations of H-B's characters by Williams Street, Fred as a gangster is probably the tamest. At least it won't stick with Fred like the way Space Ghost being an egocentric/maniacal buffoon has for his character (which I like, mind you. Remember that 'grimdark' comic reboot DC tried to do? Yeah, that failed miserably because of the association with SGC2C. But I digress).

9. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

And I respectfully disagree in re.: the DC miniseries. It gave us SG's true origin, which was something we could only speculate on before, and it makes a lot more sense that C2C's version. It's unfortunate that DC couldn't follow up due to the influence of C2C on most of the core readership. And that's just my opinion.

I read the miniseries, and will probably buy the TPB to put it on my bookshelf.

10. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

How about a CGI Flintstones reboot series?

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

How about not? Just kidding. :p

-Seriously though, while part of me stands in the "leave it be" camp, if someone were to come up with fresh new material for The Flintstones that'd be fine, but I personally think that traditional hand-drawn animation would be the best bet for Fred and company. Making a new Flintstones series CGI just for the sake of making it CGI would only look like bandwagon jumping on a fad. It would be like, I don't know, taking the Looney Tunes and turning them into anime-influenced superheroes or something.

#11 Silverstar, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  12. OriginalGagBonke

OriginalGagBonke Fan of 2-D animation.

I personally wouldnt mind seeing anything Flinstones releated stuff, as long as it is handled by the right animation crew. Who happens to know the characters well enough to make good use out of them rather than using the characters for big bags of cash instead of entertainment. The last Flintstones cartoon was a special called "On the rocks", a few of my family members thought John K was in charge of it.

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

The biggest obstacle for any new material for The Flintstones (outside of Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles commercials, of course) is that Hanna-Barbera the studio no longer exists. H-B was absorbed by Warner Brothers in 1999 and and since become Cartoon Network studios, who isn't doing anything with H-B's "classic" characters whose names don't contain the words "Scooby" or "Doo".

A reboot, possibly, although I personally think that shorts would be better than a new half hour series. As for it being in CGI, all I can say is...
    [​IMG]

"NO!"

Rendering The Flintstones in CG might work as an attention getting device, but the amount of backlash that such a move would receive from the old school fans wouldn't be worth the money and effort that it would take to do so. If resorting to cheesy gimmicks is the only way to get The Flintstones back on the air, then it might be better for the series to remain in the vaults.

#13 Goldstar Neo, May 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
  14. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Well, not doing anything as long as their name isn't "Scooby Doo"...

-B.

15. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

I'd like to have some new Flintstones movies or specials every now and then as long as Warner Bros (who now owns HB) handles it properly, but they shouldn't do a new series because it would pale in comparison to the original or even the Pebbles & Bamm Bamm Show.

16. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

The only way I would ever want anything new Flintstones related is if the crew from Flintstones on the Rocks worked on it. Seriously, it was practically just as good as the original for me.

17. krmiller27

krmiller27 Member

Problem I see is that Fox already has the Simpons which I see as a spiritual continuation of the Flinestones. I know both series have different characters and time period but the main focus is the husband having to deal with family issues.

I wouldn't mind it but its still basically the Honeymooners animated. Also no Great Kazoo.

18. Debbie

Debbie Member

The Flintstones have had their day...let them remain in the past. WB could revive the property by either running it on one of their own cable channels or licensing it out to one of the digital TV channels, or by releasing budget single-disc Flintstones "Best of Bedrock" compilations for the Wal-Mart/impulse buy crowd to try to get new fans.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

You just described nearly every domestic comedy, both animated and live-action. It's not like The Flintstones and The Simpsons are the only shows to ever adhere to that formula. And why assume that a new Flintstones series would immediately go to Fox? The most likely contender to carry a new Flintstones show would be Cartoon Network, since Hanna-Barbera (the studio) is now just a branch of Warner Brothers Animation.

Gazoo. With a 'g'.

[​IMG]

And I'm pretty sure nobody's clamoring to bring him back, although Gazoo did turn up in the latest Cupcake Pebbles commercial. He's in the parade wearing a cupcake costume; you have to look hard to spot him, but he's there.

20. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Me too.