1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen (2013) Pre-Release Discussion Talkback

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by MrBabySpencer, Nov 18, 2012.

1. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Member

I Figured I'd Make A Talkback For This Film Eventually, And I Didn't Really See Any Other Talkbacks So Um, Here We Go!!
    Overall Here's What Looks To Be Olaf's Final Character Design
    [​IMG]
    Living Animationland
    That's Where I Got The Link From
    Here's A Teaser Photo
    [​IMG]

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Well if this turns out to be like Tangled, then I will be happy. I am looking forward to seeing more from it.

3. ToonEGuy

ToonEGuy Member

There's currently only two types of animated features that I now care about seeing from Walt Disney Animation Studios:

More traditional/authentic hand-drawn animation like Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh.

2. The latest 2D-shaded animation that's seen in the short Paperman.

If Frozen can at least fulfill the latter type, I just might have an interest in the film. If not, I'll just wait for the next one.

4. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

I seriously don't understand the technological hype beind paperman....

Fusing 3D CGI with 2D drawings? This isn't new! They've done this in plenty of anime. AND even Motorcity uses this same technique. I must be missing something here....

5. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Member

6. ToonEGuy

ToonEGuy Member

Maybe, but all I see in that pic is concept art. I still won't be sure until I see an actual trailer, where they'll either surprise us with that or just pull another Tangled on us (which is what I fear they may do, but I'll still give them a chance to show us).

7. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

It's sad that quality does not matter to you. You should want the movie do be good. Simply being tradition 2D animation does not instantly make the movie good and just because it's CG does not make the movie bad. Refusing to watch a movie because of how it's made is a really close minded thing to do.

It is one thing to be disappointed in the lack of traditional animated movies and another thing to refuse to watch potentially good movies because they are not made the way you want them to me. Refusing to watch a movie will not bring traditional animation back.

I would love for more traditional hand drawn animated movies myself but Tangled was still a great movie, Bolt and Wreck it Ralph were still good too. Hell I was surprised it took Disney so long (Tangled) to appemt to make a classic Disney musical in CG, it shows that the type of animation does not matter it's what you do with it. CG does not HAVE to be a Dreamworks style pop culture feast.

GCI does not mean it's bad and a movie should not be ignored for that reason. This mind set annoys me. Quality is what matters not how something is made. Quality.

And would that be bad? Tangled proved that Disney can do a classic Disney Animated musical in CG just as well as they can in 2D traditional animation. Tangled proved that CG can be just as effective and used just as well. That there is less of a difference between the two mediums. Hell I am surprised it took so long to actually make an animated musical in CG, I would have thought it would have been done long before 2010. better late then never. If Frozen ends up like Tangled then that will not be a bad thing. If it ends up being a good movie and you refuse to watch it simply because it's CG like it looks like you did with Tangled then the only one you can blame is yourself. You would have missed out on a good movie for petty reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

:^: *applauds*

Thank you, Dragnatek.

This is what I've been saying all along. If you prefer a particular animation style that's one thing, but to instantly turn your nose up at something and poo-poo it to the point where you flat-out refuse to even look at it simply because it's not rendered in the style that you prefer, that mentality I don't understand in the slightest. It's like refusing to see a movie just because you don't like its' poster or refusing to read a book because you don't like the cover. Refusing to watch new animated projects isn't going to make CGI go away, nor will it bring traditional animation back. That's just being lookist and closed-minded. CG, Flash and other animation styles aren't going anywhere, so constantly bemoaning the fact that they exist accomplishes nothing. It's like a kid who locks his/herself in the closet and goes on a hunger strike after their parents bring the new baby home. They're here to stay, so you might as well learn to live with them. Animation should be judged by the quality of its' content, not just by how it's animated.

Tangled, Brave and Wreck-It Ralph were all good movies. Boycotting them simply because they weren't hand-drawn only succeeded in causing you to miss out on enjoyable viewing experiences. If Frozen is anywhere near the quality of those films, then I'll be in line to see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #8 Silverstar, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It's funny, because whenever I think of Tangled, I don't think of CGI. I think of 2D animation. I don't know if that's because the film had the "feel" of a Disney film from the '90s (from a storytelling standpoint), or because its animation style did a good job of replicating the 2D feel in 3D space, or both. But it's interesting nonetheless.

Anyway, if Frozen turns out anything like Tangled, I'll be happy.

10. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I have deleted the past few posts of the increasingly off-topic and increasingly inflammatory argument over CGI vs. 2-D, while staff decides what (if any) disciplinary action needs to be taken over it.

The argument is over as far as this thread is concerned.

11. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

So, first "Enchanted" then "Tangled" and now "Frozen". It seems that past tense verbs are the naming convention with Disney fairy tales these days.

12. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Don't forget Brave as "Enchanted", "Tangled", and "Frozen" are being used as adjectives here.

13. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From the Los Angeles Times, Frozen now has another director. Jennifer Lee, one of the writers from Wreck-It Ralph, will be joining Chris Buck from Tarzan as a director. The November 27, 2013, release date will allow Disney to once again premiere a movie on the day before Thanksgiving, something Wreck-It Ralph did not get this year, but 2011's The Muppets did. With Thanksgiving falling as late as it possibly can next year (Nov. 28 ), Frozen should get a significant amount of movie business in the days before Christmas.

14. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Member

#14 MrBabySpencer, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  15. Fix-it Felix Jr.

1) Like TP&TF, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, The Muppets and Wreck-it Ralph; this will be a another Disney winner.
    2) So far, the film's only family competition is Mr. Peabody and Sherman (Nov. 1th), it will do well.

16. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Sorry for adding to that argument. To me it is a films quality that matters and not how it is made. I care about the end results. So I have hopes for Frozen as Disney has been on a roll as far as animated films are concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

I don't think it will be bad as everyone says it will. I mean, The Emperor's New Groove was a warped version of the original concept and it still turned out great.

That being said, Olaf will probably be the Jar-Jar Binks of this movie...so I'll probably like him.

18. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

19. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They look like Rapunzel. That's not a bad thing...but it would have been nice to have more of a unique look.

20. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Wow, I sense this is more than about Frozen. :p