1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[from Dec. 2005] Kids WB Aftertoons Show Talkback: FINAL WEEK (12/26 - 12/30)

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by veemonjosh, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Supernovametalstar

Supernovametalstar Active Member

What bothers me is that ER already reruns in about a hundred different channels both on cable and broadcast, so having it on yet again is pointless.

A sad milestone in weekday afternoon animation programming. I vividly remember the Disney Afternoon so many years ago, then when that died there was Fox Kids, but that went bust, but there was still KWB. It's a little sad that such a mainstay is now gone from broadcast television :crying:. What's next, Saturday mornings? That would spell the end of civilization!

2. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

It was gone for a while there when CBS and NBC decided to stop airing cartoons.

3. Dangerous_D

Dangerous_D Member

it looks like CN just killed Transformers Cybertron, now there showing Beyblade at 3am direct tv 6am cable

4. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Chiming in, to agree that this is a sad ending for weekday kids' cartoon shows (even if I haven't really liked KWB's weekday lineup since the end of A!/PatB/the DC superhero shows/the spread of Poke-stuff and its knockoffs 5-6 years ago).

Agreed that A) ER is already on a zillion other channels (around here, even a non-WB broadcast TV station runs it in syndication on weekends) and B) its content seems a bit odd for 3 PM. Then again, so's "Jerry Springer" and its ilk...

And since I don't have cable (and work during the day anyway), guess my only source of cartoons now is whatever's barely watchable as time-filler on Saturday mornings ("Tutenstein", "Lilo and Stitch" and, uh, that's about it...I'd add "Kim Possible", but my ABC station pre-empts it for its own Sat. morning local newscast, moving it to 2 AM on early Monday morning [where it has an audience of zero, I'd imagine]). Feh...

-B.

5. Dangerous_D

Dangerous_D Member

not only er thats on a million channels bad enough you got that with other crappy shows like Friends x-files, everyone loves raymond, but killing cartoons on the weekdays was the dumbest thing ever, weekends are no better you got ABC running DIsneys crapola and CBS is running Nicks Baby shows, and Fox ditches fox box for 4kids which really blows. and lately on sundays you have no cartoons period, the biggest thing that annoyed me was when USA got rid of cartoons they used to do it 7 days morning and after noon, then just saturday morning then nothing, same with Sci-Fi they used to have cartoon lineup m-f they aired Robotech, and then The New Adventours of Gigantor, which personally I thought was cool, kinda wish Adult Swim would air that along with the orignal b&w series

6. panicpack121

panicpack121 Member

Yes I know I'm almost 7, almost 8 years too late for this given topic but yes, weekday cartoons are completely extinct and off television completely, save for weekday mornings for E/I regulated shows, or cable/satellite. Otherwise there's no such thing as weekday cartoons on television these days, even Saturday morning cartoons are in the same boat, with only Vortexx [CW] airing it, and saving Saturday morning cartoons, for the next generation. I do wish that Kids' WB was on, and not Toonzai - and now named - Vortexx - but we cannot be living in the dream world... I just wish that there was a revival for this.... but there won't be in the future, or right now, evidently.

The AfterToons Show was decent from 2004-late 2005 but I just think that it was just eh, because of how generic and generic the term was, well, to me. It was presumably generic to you as well, right? It just a tongue-in-cheek name for "afternoon." How clever. Whatever, I had still loved it thoroughly. Well, besides the average block name I had loved the schedule (at that time). Kids' WB had Pokemon (Advance Battle - if I can remember correctly), Xiaolin Showdown, Yu-Gi-Oh!, The Batman, Jackie Chan Adventures, and MegaMan, the block was one the best in a long time for Kids' WB. I just wish that they had on this again... I can only wish. Kids' WB hadn't been this good in literally since the middle-to-late 90's to early 2000's.

Kids' WB has now been replaced by syndicated episodes of Roseanne, Maury, Steve Wilkos, Jerry Springer, Reba, talk shows, and among other shows. Children do not have a chance for entertainment without going online, finding DVDs, or going on to Netflix. The television and the airwaves are now aimed for the 18-60 year old demographic, there is no such thing as childrens' programming anymore. Childrens' programming doesn't exist out of the confides and context of Saturday morning cartoons, cable/satellite, and sites such as YouTube, for example. There is nothing from the time-slots from 2pm-5pm for children - they have to go diverge towards Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and among other channels on cable/satellite - because they have the most options on there - rather than on local television channels/networks. Even cable/satellite channels for children are even getting rid of cartoons, well, except for Cartoon Network, and there has been increasingly amount of cartoons being off, due to the competition fighting and having the rights to more live-action programming.

I will admit that the last schedule or the last week for Kids' WB was considerably weak in comparison to any other block that has a sign off, such as for example, Toonami. Regarding Toonami, Toonami had a final schedule, promo, and a sign-off that everyone will remember for a long time to come. Kids' WB, they themselves, didn't do anything, they didn't promote, formulate a well-thought schedule, or even had a sign-off. The sign-off was non-existent. I even remember their final Saturday morning day being around, back in 2008, when it was on The CW. Again Kids' WB did nothing. They said:"Check out next week when this block will be changed to the CW4Kids!" Kids' WB had started strong but ended on a shoe string, in which case, the shoe string was off and nobody gave a damn. Nobody gave a damn when they had changed their name to CW4Kids; nobody even recognized Kids' WB being off weekdays for good...

7. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

It was 2005.

8. panicpack121

panicpack121 Member

@Erased Paper: It was only in 2005? I swear I thought I've seen in it 2004 through 2005... *researches*

9. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

[Me, here. Generally on toonzone it's preferred not to have such a huge thread bump from so long ago. However, my fellow tz staff and I for the WBC forum decided to be a bit more lenient on the thread bumps as long as there was something significant to add to the thread (please don't use this as license to bump the brains out of the WBC threads). An eight year bump is a bit much, but I'll let it go, and I advise anyone this huge of a bump should be avoided on the other forums... ^^; ]