1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[From 2005] I got a Road Rovers related email...

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Rover_Wow, Jul 1, 2005.

1. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

That's good to hear. Have you heard from him lately, or at least since he left WBA? He seemed to be a big chunk of that era, and now he's vanished.

2. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

Last I heard he was in the South Seas with two wives and three kids, engaged in something-or-other; but that might have just been someone on here engaged in appendage-pulling.

Whoa, I've tied Babe Ruth's home run record! 714!

Of course I know it's been broken, and I know that there's those around here who have ten times my post count. Hey, you observe your landmarks; I'll observe mine.

3. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

Ah, yes, he's in the Peace Corps working in Vanuatu. I'd forgotten. I'm a little surprised he's not in the background on Survivor, didn't they go there too?

He really must be on a desert island to have fallen this far off the face of the Earth.

4. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Actually, I didn't even know he'd left WBA. So I guess you've heard more than I have. Looking up his name now, I do see a Letter to the Editor he wrote to Variety in February of this year. It's pretty funny. He points out an omission in a list of Emmy Awards won by the WB network: the network's first prime-time Emmy, for the P&TB Christmas Special. At the end, he writes, "The Brain was particularly irked by this omission in your article, but once he has achieved his goal of taking over the world, his mood should improve considerably."

His bio on tv.com includes the following text: "In 2002, he started his own company, Tom Ruegger Productions, and under its banner, Tom has been involved in the development, writing and production of multiple televisions series and feature films, both animated and live action." And "Recently, Tom helped story edit the 2004 Emmy Award-winning animated series Tutenstein for Porchlight Pictures."

So, let's look up "Tom Ruegger Productions" then... 0 hits on Google. Hmm.

5. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

Jeez, that's pathetic. Nothing at AWN, either. I'd think there'd at least be a resume online, or a website for your own production company, even if all you make is local commercials or something.

I tried again at Google. "ruegger productions" didn't net anything. "ruegger production" gave joke credits from a TTA episode, and the IMDB listing for the movie Constantine, the one where Keanu Reeves was some comic book guy. Turned out to be Nathan Ruegger instead of Tom, and he was a production assistant. I assume this means he made the coffee twice. Still, he's working, and he can maybe support Auld Tom in his dotage, and being Coffee Guy for a Keanu flop is a lot less embarassing than directing The Country Bears like poor Peter Hastings.

6. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Nice to see some reference to what Nate's up to.

Alas it's sad to see so many guys who were instrumental in creating some of the best cartoon series of the late 20th century struggling now.

7. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

That's the problem with being an artist. To be appreciated, you have to be dead. No one likes a breather.

8. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

True, it reminds me of a Hendrix quote "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

9. Jason Furness

Jason Furness Not Actually a Cat

Tom Ruegger co-wrote that "Duck Dodgers" two-parter that aired earlier this year. I was pretty surprised to see his name again...

10. Buster Bunny

Buster Bunny Certified Rabbitologist

Hmm didn't know he helped write that :) Well it's good to know he hasn't lost his touch, loved those episodes.

11. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Hey, I just saw Peter Hastings' name. He is Story Editor and Voice Director for the Nicktoon Catscratch, and his name was listed as Co-Producer for one of the cartoons I saw. Rob Paulsen and Maurice LaMarche are two of the main characters (well, Moe's is semi-minor). Doug TenNapel is executive producer.

12. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

By a complete and pleasant surprise, I was on his Christmas Email List. So yep, he hasn't completely vanished! I asked if there is anything that can be passed along as regards what he may be working on these days. We'll see if he gets my email (some spam filters block my email because I use a web-based client and thus the originating IP doesn't match the sending site).

And as for Nate, judging from the domain of his email address (for he also was on this Christmas Email List), I'd say he's in college. I won't say which, to prevent people from guessing his address and bugging him.

13. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

OK here's what Tom is up to (yep, he got my email):

He says that for the past few years he's been freelance writing. There are a couple of animated features still being set up (so, no guarantee they'll see the light of day).

He's just had a pilot script idea optioned by Disney, and says that they seem to really like the concept, so there's a good chance it will make it all the way to production. "Could be a good show. I can tell you more later."

He's writing a pilot for (and, should they sign him up, would be producing and story editing) a new series concept. As the interested parties haven't seen his script yet, it's still to be seen if they'll like his comedy or will prefer something "safe and charming." They've told him it's a comedy, so he's writing it as such. He can't say more at this point other than it's based on a book and would be produced in CGI.

He's also hoping to put together "an overall kids programming deal with a network." More will be known in January, he says. Weren't people in another thread just mourning the death of Kids TV blocks? No word as to whether this would be for afternoon or weekend or even if it's a broadcast network, but it sounds like it could be something pretty special.

So, it sounds like he's got a nice plate going. Hopefully some of these morsels will get picked up and eaten so that we can digest them.

#33 Keeper, Dec 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2005
  14. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

Good news to hear. Hope he makes it back.

15. PoundPuppiesfan

ok, this is upsetting. almost ten years later after last post and there are so many people who don't believe in revivals. I just discovered Road Rovers last week and it's AMAZING!! classic humor throughout. one of my other favorite shows claims to be "ended," and that's the 2010 version of Pound Puppies. I'm writing scripts and storyboards, trying to get the show back. and there will always be "dirty pics" of shows and movies. Rule 34, nuff said. ANYWAY, so, unlike SOME users out there, i still have hope that this show will come back. come on, Beavis and Butthead came back after 14 YEARS!! it only lasted one coime back season but still...

16. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

You're seriously comparing Road Rovers to Beavis & Butthead?

Beavis & Butthead was famous (or infamous, depending on your point of view) and whether you loved them or hated them, those characters and that show made a lasing impact on popular culture. Kids and teenagers laughed at B&B's juvenile idiocy, while outraged adults protested B&B and tried to get the show taken off of the air. By contrast, Road Rovers was a Kids' WB "quickie" which was over and forgotten after only a single season and except for a brief run on Cartoon Network hasn't seen the light of day since. RR never came close to achieving B&B's level of fame/infamy. The difference is that people still remember Beavis & Butthead after 14 years, while most people don't remember Road Rovers, and some were/are completely unaware of the series' existence. You yourself were unaware that RR even existed until a week ago. Pound Puppies was revived because children were/are still buying the toys. RR never even had a toy line. I'm not trying to dash anyone's hopes, but using something like Beavis & Butthead as an example of how Road Rovers could be revived is wildly inaccurate .

17. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

The only hope for Road Rovers to get an official DVD release is via Warner Archive.

18. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

You're probably right, but I'm starting to think that some shows have missed the physical media window altogether.

19. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, not entirely. There is the Warner Archive, which they have been using for season/series sets of bits from their animation library. Mostly Hanna-Barbera and some Blu-Ray sets for more recent DC series so far, but never entirely count out a release of shows like this from them.

20. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Never entirely, but, c'mon. There was a point about five years ago when obscure stuff like this could get a physical release, but as that market is dwindling the likelihood of this getting out there goes steadily down. Road Rovers is a case where it's too obscure for many people to want it, but its rights holder is too prestigious for it to get burned off in extreme budget releases. It missed its window.