1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[From 2005] I got a Road Rovers related email...

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Rover_Wow, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Rover_Wow

Rover_Wow Active Member

It's from Collier Farnell. Here's what it says:

So, whattaya say?

2. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I say both of you are living in complete dream worlds!

3. Buster Bunny

Buster Bunny Certified Rabbitologist

Who is Collier Farnell? :sweat:

4. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

I'm betting he's a furry of some sort. Furries seem to be the only ones who loved that show.

5. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Comon folks, Road Rovers is OVER. It is NOT coming back. Ever.

6. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

Do you promise? With a cherry on top?

I'll love you forever if you can guarantee me that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Doggies have been wished into the cornfield.

7. Kurtman

Kurtman You blabbing old fart!

I really enjoy that show a lot,too. So I guess I can be counted as one of the furry cult. I just only go for G Rated furry stuff.

8. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

Well, I'm not a furry, and I like that show. The last time CN showed it I was fortunate enough to have a vcr and presence of mind to tape away. Got all 13 eps on one tape.

I don't see why there's this hating on Road Rovers. What's the deal?

Episode for episode, Road Rovers has possibly the biggest net footprint of any show in the history of television. Only 13 episodes, and the sites run into three figures.

I've been in the RoRos fan community for years and have noticed little to no fanaticism among the adherents. Anomg the haters on this thread, though...

I remember that I submitted transcripts for the series to funyun's When Did That Happen Again? site. I was working on episode 11, Take Me To Your Leaders, when my computer crashed. Sad. Already up were the scripts for eps 1 & 2, and I sent in those for 3-10. I am credited on that site for 3-6, however they're only up to episode 4. I could always type up those transcripts again, send them to whatever RoRos site will have them. If there's ever a chance to bring the dogs back from the oblivion of tv limbo, I'll be there to help. Those who don't like it don't have to watch.

9. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

Road Rovers really doesn't deserve hatred, no. But it also doesn't deserve much consideration. It was, at best, a mediocre show. There always seemed to be a punchline coming that never arrived. The characters were bland stereotypes. For an action show, it was extremely limited - remember how the Hannibal Lecter dobie could never do anything onscreen? It was easily the weakest WB entry that season. I watched it a few times, found it not to my taste, and walked away without looking back.

But so many can't. Like you said, there are websites galore, and desperate people trying to resurrect the show ten years later. And there are a ton of addled furries out there that want the Rovers in the worst way, you see them all the time on the worst-of-the-web websites out there. And it's all for a show that wasn't even any good.

So it ain't the show so much as the bizarre Trekkie-like adoration. It is an obsession, and typically an unhealthy one. It's good to know that there are fans who aren't jerking it to bad drawings of the Russian dog, but still, this show is dead and gone, the WBA staff from that period are dispersed, and the desperate call for new episodes is not good. Road Rovers is dead. There is nothing more to say.

10. Buster Bunny

Hehe, kill his dream why dont cha?! Old shows will never come back(unless your family guy), I learned to accept that as well :D Thats why I'm making my own! Never did like road rovers though :wolfie: At least what I can remember of it. Action cartoons were never my thing.

11. the Amanda

the Amanda Rogue Alchemist

You'd have better luck begging for DVDs than a continuation of the show. And even then, good luck -- we haven't even gotten Pinky and the Brain yet.

12. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

I understand and have accepted that the RoRos will probably never come back. As I have said, by the time I found out how much I liked the show they were on their next-to-the-last run on CN before oblivion.

That said, who can really say that there's no way that anything more will happen?

I can't speak for the psychos in fursuits who indulge their RoRo perversions. My contact with that community has been limited to say the least. Someone posted a link on some message board once that led to some RoRo 940|\| (I think; I'm not up on my 1337), which led to other stuff in which I had no interest. And there's the occasional poster on the boards who does some yiffy ecchy stuff, though lots of that's not RoRos. I've seen more perversion on the Hey Arnold! boards, though I'm not letting that get in the way of my enjoyment of HA!

The people with whom I correspond are more emotionally mature. Some of them are somewhat older than me, in their 30's, 40's. Some of them have children who they've introduced to that show. They include a number of Christians whose walk matches their talk. They write fan fiction, engage in role-playing games, draw art, talk over the message boards about a number of subjects. They know when to rope it in; even better, they know to not go there. They're good people, I consider them to be as close friends of mine as y'all here at toonzone, and that show which is apparently not liked here (and I have no problem with that) brought us together.

I said that they write fanfics. I've read hundreds of these fanfics and I haven't seen evidence of diseased minds. What I've seen has been written with thought, heart, and the RoRos comedy-action mix that we've come to love. I'm particularly fond of Computer Dinosaur's Space Rovers series and related series. There's series that I'm not as into that are also excellent, such as the Strayers, the Dark Rovers, the KH Military. Chaser, Catman, Cobber, Dylan, Alethia, I could go on and on; all moral, grounded, stand-up people. There have been incidents, flame wars, hurt feelings; but they have been few and far between.

Yes, there's been 'adult' stuff written about the RoRos. Of what tv show can that not be said? You name it, there's been dirty fics written about it. That includes your favorite show, whatever it is. I'm on the TTA fanfic mailing list and have learned of the phenomenon known as TTBS. Some are on both lists, but they keep the two worlds separate.

What you say about DVDs is well taken. I hope that the joiks at Warners will release TTA on DVD, then Animaniacs, then Pinky & the Brain and Freakazoid, then Road Rovers.

Until then, we RoRos fans will continue to enjoy that show that started our fan community. We will continue to talk with each other, get to know each other better, deepen our friendships. We will continue to write, draw, review, etc. We will continue to expose the next generation to that show, as well as other treasures of the Silver Age. And, like y'all, we will continue to dread those who give all of us fans a bad name.

Sorry if I came off as a bit strident there.

13. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

Well, it's refreshing to hear Rover fans aren't all insane. Sorry if I was being too strident.

14. UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk l33t haxx0r Narf!

I agree... ...I never watched in on Kids WB because I thought it was stupid... ...but come on... ...what else was on? A!, TTA, P&TB... ...so yes, in comparison, it wasnt as good... ...I mean, it premired the same time, same channel as Earth Worm Jim... ...anyway when I saw it on CN... ...when all the greats were cancled, and there was nothing but animated CRAP on TV, that show actually was pretty good in comparison. I enjoyed it, and wish there were more episodes

But as mentioned, The best hope for RR would be for a DVD release, rathar than a rivial... ... TMNT wasnt very dated... ...unlike RRs... ...RR is very dated with its cultural references... ..I mean, would Hunter still live with Clinton, even though hes no longer a world leader? All TMNT had was phrases like "radical" and "cowabunga"... ..that was the only thing that dated them... ...but notice how much they were revamped... ...would you realy want the RR characters redrawn? different voices? different personalities? Id much rather have them preserved.

But that brings along another thing... ...they really WERE stereotypical... ...in todays PC age, they could possibly get introuble with stereotyping other nationalities... They could get away with it back then, even speedy gonzales got away with it... ...but could they now?

15. bluedragon2999

Nftnat you make very good points and they are very true. I have also been around the fandom if you wish to call it that for a while though never was uber involved. I am always saddened to hear that many thing just a bunch of perverts hang around there now. I am sure that there are some but as you said they are everywhere. I mean there are just sick people. The show is gone and no chance of coming back but still. There are alot of shows that are like that which still have solid fan bases. At one point RR had a large number of fan sites, and still has a reasonable number for a saturday morning cartoon show that ran for one season. Anyway, nice posts.

16. weredog

weredog Dog Inside

I loved Road Rovers, but I realize the show will never be continued.At most I hope we will someday see a DVD release.

As for the X Rated RR pictures, and those who draw/get off on them that's something I'd rather not think about.I can't understand why anyone would do such a thing.

17. Buster Bunny

I know what you mean, I'v seen some pretty strange "things" :eek: Not just of RR though, pretty much any cartoon. I really don't see the point but whatever floats your boat i guess :confused:

18. Kurtman

Kurtman You blabbing old fart!

I agree with you on that 100%.

19. Figaro

Figaro Member

Oh MAN...ROAD ROVERS!! I absolutely LOVED this show when it first aired. It's the only show to date for which I've participated in letter-writing campaigns to get it back on the air. (This was, of course years ago.) I've since moved on, but I still watch my VHS tape of those episodes occasionally, and while they are somewhat dated now, they still make me smile.

"To the power of the PACK!!"

By thy side,

Figaro

20. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

These posts about "I know it can never come back" reminds me of a conversation I had with Tom Ruegger in the late 1990s.

It was about the time that Dreamworks really started taking off, and it was clear that the "Steven Spielberg Presents..." shows on WB were doomed. So there was some reminiscing about what a great period it had been starting with TTA, and some wondering if the shows would have a longevity (and be considered "classics" someday by WB).

Pretty much out of the blue, Tom said, "Tiny Toons will come back someday," adding that it just needed the right people to get back together to do it. It seemed such a surprising thing to hear (well, read, for it was an AIM conversation). Of all people, I thought, he should be the first to realize that when it's over, it's over. But then I thought, well, this is his livelihood, so he must keep a positive outlook and always work toward what he would like to do most.