1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fresh Question #2: Your "Favorite" Musical

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Nightwing, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Oracle

Oracle All seeing, all knowing...

MUPPETS!!

I completely forgot the Muppets! I love 'The Muppets Take Manhattan', especially the scene with all the Muppet babies. And I know it's been overdone so much, but I need to add 'Grease' to my list as a favorite musical.

2. watsonlives

watsonlives Gimme a kiss!!!!

as far as spectacle, being the best staging and special effects, Phantom of the oprera is tops, even though the plot is a little weak and pales in comparison to Gaston Larou's novel. better overall production, either The Fantastiks or Godspell. Best musical movie ties between Great Muppet Caper and Prince of Egypt.

3. Captain Caps

Captain Caps Active Member

I forgot one musical...

"Krush Groove" from 1985. Watched some of it on VH1 last night...great musical with the best of 80s rap, hip-hop and R&B in a fictionalized tale of how Russell Simmons and Rick Rubin started the Def Jam empire.

Sincerely,

John "Captain Caps" Kilduff

4. Kal-el

Kal-el Ruling with strength

The Buffy musical ruled!!!

5. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Re: My favorite musicals...

[color=00FFFF]They are in MY book!!!! Sure they're musicals! If you use music to show people's emotions and stuff, and the characters are singin', it's a musical. Although my list would probably end after South Park up there, I gotta say I'm with ya! :)[/color]

6. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

How about WIZARD OF OZ!!!! I don't think anybody has mentioned the best movie musical ever! And West Side Story was rather groundbreaking, tho I don't think I'd list it as a favorite.

7. Oracle

Oracle All seeing, all knowing...

I used to be so afraid of the 'Wizard of Oz', especially when the Lion came on. I'm not a fan of 'West Side Story', but I do like some of the songs.

How about 'Oklahoma'? That's one of my favorite movie musicals. "Where the corn is as high as an elephant's eye..." Hehe, I actually knew what Riddler was refering to in that episode, whose name escapes me at the moment.

8. JustJack

JustJack Just Odd

Uhmm...mine is a tad bit odd...well...both of them...

"Little Shop of Horrors"
    AND
    "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"

....I'm not that weird...really..I just like those shows...And please, refrain yourselves from making "sweet transvestite" comments...sheesh. I've never been to one of those midnight things though...so dont ask.

9. Ruffian

Ruffian f.k.a. Twilight

I'm a musical fan and have certian favorites. Singin' In the Rain starring Gene Kelly is my favorite movie musical. That 4 minute scene with him singing the title number is also my favorite scene from any movie. Carousel is my favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. Phantom of the Opera is my favorite by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Disney's Beauty and the Beast is the very first musical I ever saw on stage and it blew me away. So far no other musical I've seen can come close to the feeling I get when attending my first musical. I was being exposed to something new and had never seen the likes of it before till then. :)

10. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

No one has mentioned The King and I? Oy vey zmir! Next to that, I'd say Oklahoma, Producers, and Bluuuuuuuuues, man. :cool:

Actually, has anyone heard of a play "Encore!"? They perform 5 short stories; The Tell-Tale Heart, The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calevares County, The Necklace, The Monkey's Paw (*shiver*), and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It's great how they put it together. It's not a musical or movie, but I just thought I'd mention it. :D

11. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Surf's Up

Singin' in the Rain is my favorite musical. I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned by second or third favorites, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and On the Town. I'm a big Stanley Donen fan.

12. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

If you're talking MOVIE musicals...

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" tops my list.

Other faves:

West Side Story
    Little Shop of Horrors
    The Nightmare Before Christmas (not a musical, per se, but Danny Elfman's inventive and wonderful songs certainly merit a mention)

13. Captain Caps

Captain Caps Active Member

(Bleep)! How could I have forgotten?

"Purple Rain"...the soundtrack was so great that it won an Academy Award in 1985 (for the 1984 voting season). One needs only listen to the title track, "When Doves Cry" or "I Would Die 4 U" to know that it's a genius song score. Powerful, with a capital "P".

Sincerely,

John "Captain Caps" Kilduff