1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Freedom Fighters: The Ray" Animated Series News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by MDawg, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Didn't Guggenheim say there would be a cool Vixen announcement that would relate to this show? Is this it or perhaps the Vixen Blu-ray/DVD announcement earlier this year could hint towards a Freedom Fighters Blu-ray release or something?

It ties into an announcement that’s going to be made about Vixen pretty soon. So expect a Vixen announcement that I think is very, very cool, and we’re moving forward on The Ray.

This was back in December so I have no idea if that cool Vixen announcement was already made. It seems like the Blu-ray reveal which was a pretty cool announcement to me at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was expecting that would be the case. Be kind of weird if it was the other Vixen :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Guggenheim also revealed they're currently working on the animatics for the show, and the voices have mostly been recorded.

This reminds me the voice actor for Ray hasn't been announced yet.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Who will also serve as his live-action actor, or so we were told (and was the case with Vixen) ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

5/12:You never know. I haven't seen Legends season 2 and glad someone asked just to cement it. But Guggenheim could be playing coy and Echikunwoke is voicing Vixen but an AU version.

Mm, sounds like they're going to release these in the fall like with the two seasons of Vixen.

CW upfront is next Thursday, they may say who then or the day before, lol.

7/14: Minor news, but Freedom Fighters: The Ray will be one of the SDCC bags.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I suppose that means we might get some updates on the show at Comic-Con.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

9. Blue Sword

Blue Sword New Member

Anyone know which version of the Freedom Fighters will be appearing in this? Judging by one of the promotional images it will be the 2007 version by Jimmy Palmiotti

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think they gave any details about the FF yet. Details are still pretty scarce in general.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So far, I think they only confirmed Vixen will appear on this series alongside Ray (but I don't think she was ever part of the Freedom Fighters in the comics).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As far as the other Freedom Fighters are concerned, the teaser had a statue of Phantom Lady and I believe there was one plot summary that mentioned Uncle Sam :).
    Well, her grandmother was part of the Justice Society in this continuity, so I guess that's close enough :p?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I must be very behind. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dorko

Dorko Member

Since the Arrowverse version of the Justice Society was explicitly a covert government team (like the All-Star Squadron meets the Suicide Squad sort of thing), it wouldn't be out of bounds to have The Freedom Fighters be the modern successors to that idea. And since, as said, the Arrowverse includes a Golden Age Vixen who was a member of both the JSA and the Legends, having her granddaughter pop up as a Freedom Fighter would logically follow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Apparently they showed some footage from this at Comic-Con.
    Here's some stuff DenOfGeek.com reported
    :

• Informative Informative x 6
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, a lot to take in there :eek:.

So not only are we getting a true to the comics Freedom Fighters, at least in regards to taking place in a world where the Nazi's are still going strong, but we're also getting Nazi versions of Green Arrow, Flash and Supergirl :eek:!

Also interesting that Red Tornado will be in it. I wonder if he'll look like he did on Supergirl or be more comic-accurate :)?

Also great to hear we'll be seeing more of the actual Freedom Fighters alongside The Ray :D.

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That's kind of amusing in light of that news about the Game of Thrones people working on a show about the South winning the Civil War or something (and that Nazi one on Netflix).

I guess this means Vixen will be on the Nazi team, too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure how that would work, what with the Nazi's whole "Master Race" thing (unless they've stolen the Totem), though this could tie-in to Mari's Grandmother being Vixen during WWII with the Justice Society...

I wonder if they'll get Stephen Amell, Grant Gustin, and Melissa Benoist to voice the Nazi versions of their characters? I'd love to hear them all try and do German accents :p.

I'm guessing Supergirl will be "Overgirl" here like she was in Grant Morrison's Earth-10 story in Multiversity :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's the Sneak Peek:

• Like Like x 4
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Looks pretty cool! I like that they're exploring the Multiverse and doing a neat Elseworlds story by reviving the classic Freedom Fighters concept :D.

I'm curious to see what the cast for this is like, because they've obviously found their Ray, and there's also whoever's playing the other Freedom Fighters and the Nazi version of the Arrowverse heroes...

Cool that they went with a Red Tornado design true to his look from the Supergirl show, even if it's not my favorite design for Reddy. Though once again he ends up destroyed by Supergirl :eek:.

That's probably the least revealing Phantom Lady costume I've ever seen, which is saying something :sweat:.

Black Condor looks pretty cool :cool:.

I wonder who the guy in the red costume is? Human Bomb? Dollman :p?

That definitely sounds like Stephen Amell as Nazi!Green Arrow, though I'm not sure if that's Grant Gustin as Nazi!Flash or Benoist as Nazi!Supergirl o_O.

• Like Like x 1