Free Spirit "Substitutiary Locomotion" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/freespirit/index.php?issue=14&page=1&seriesID=13
    Either this issue will be one of the most prescient webcomics ever written or it'll age horribly. We'll see how the experiment goes!

Originally "I Love Bread" was supposed to be the story that broke the hiatus -- it's a really funny story and I wanted it to lead. But after seeing a video on the news of a guy who actually pulled this off, I thought "I'm out of time, I gotta push this one ahead or else not finish it at all." Fortunately, no one seems to have noticed that guy. Yet.

As for what inspired it, I was doing what Jessie was doing. One of the tapes I was transferring from Dad's collection had news stories from the 1993 Consumer Electronics Show on them. This was right on the edge of the Internet explosion and no one cared or even noticed. All the attention was focused on the possibility of getting information from a CD-ROM.

It made me think, "This stuff just sneaks up on people. I wonder what we're missing today because we're so focused on something else." Then I realized, if drones can carry packages now, it won't be long before they start carrying people. And once that happens, who would want a car? Even a self-driving one?

Guess we'll see what develops in that direction, but I thought it was an interesting ponderance to base a story around, because it feels very plausible.

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

We had some CD-ROM encyclopedias, including Microsoft Encarta, which I remember best now for its edutainment games. I don't have a drone, though, so whether or not I can imagine it using it instead of a car would depend on the cost and frequency of recharging it vs. the cost and frequency of filling a car with gas.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1