1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Spirit "Robb's Not Dead" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/freespirit/index.php?issue=12&page=1&seriesID=13

The only reason you're getting this in the middle of E3 is because it was ready. Rest assured I am NOT working on part 2 at the moment; I am writing a million gaming news stories at once instead.

So why does this take place entirely from Robb's perspective? Because it started out as a parody of the movie "Hardcore Harry," which I thought was going to make more of a cultural splash than it did. The parody connection had to be dropped, but it was such a good idea anyway that I continued with it.

I needed Winnie to be doing something completely random when Robb walked in. This bit entered my head years ago as an Electric Wonderland scene where NJ was in trouble and hollered for Aerynn's help, and in the next panel she was instantly playing Virtual Boy while lazily saying "Whaaaaaat?" Admittedly, that was funnier. But "Playing the Virtual Boy" seemed to work for this scene, and then it even factored into the plot.

I reserve the right to call it "Windows" again in a future story. It felt better to use a parody name for this one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/freespirit/index.php?issue=12&page=10&seriesID=13

It's nothing I can say for certain, but I have a feeling if I were ever able to nail down whoever's in charge of Windows these days and demand an explanation for what's going wrong with Windows 10, he'd have no idea what I was talking about. When they're this tone-deaf to the problems of their average customer it usually means they live in a bubble of golf courses and yes-men.

3. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I thought about waiting until the release of the last part to ask this, but since that's taking over a month to come out...
    When you first decided to make these comics, did you expect so many of the stories to focus on Robb?

4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I have several stories sitting around that I haven't gotten to draw yet, for various reasons (right now, BANG is one; I'm finishing up the new issue currently). It just happened that the ones that got out first were Robb-related. I wanted a Jessie script to be produced first for the sake of variety, but this one was prioritized because of the Windows 10 thing.

The way things are going, it's likely all the Jessie stories will be squished together in one marathon like the Robb stories are.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dsneybuf

May I ask what'll become of this story? Will it lie indefinitely unfinished in the archive, or will it disappear from the website? I won't try to force you to choose one scenario over the other.

6. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

All these "timed" stories are making it difficult to finish it. The Halloween story had to come out in October.

7. Dsneybuf

I understand. I just didn't know whether or not the releases of that and the Olympics comic meant you gave up on this story.