1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Spirit "A League of Robb's Own" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Free Spirit #9 - A League of Robb's Own (Page 1)

The fact that they're shivering a few days after the official beginning of spring indicates that this story was originally scheduled to run earlier. Though it's still freezing in a couple states up there.

Back when I was planning Free Spirit, and also planning to end Keiki, I thought "surely the Harpers will travel to Hawaii at some point, and if they do, people will be expecting some kind of a crossover." Then I thought, "why don't I set that up NOW?" So yes, you could see Winnie, Jessie and Gene in the distance of one panel in anticipation of this story -- it was planned.

I also thought Keiki would have ended by the time this showed up. There IS a script for the second-to-last story, honest. It's not finalized, but it gets worked on from time to time.

2. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Free Spirit #9 - A League of Robb's Own (Page 10)

I'm going to be moving pretty soon, and so the various annoying tasks involved are going to slow down content updates, like they have already. I'll try to get stuff up whenever I can.

3. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

You're gonna be moving? Why? And will you get Dish Network for Epix? Or just their new Sling TV service? Or FiOS?

4. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I'll admit feeling frustrated with some of the cliffhangers as of late, but this one made me feel genuinely excited-to see karma bite Robb. Both of the parts released so far also made some enjoyably humorous uses of Winnie's magic. I just wish Becky's lipstick didn't disappear-she looks too much like Jessie without it.

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Free Spirit #9 - A League of Robb's Own (Page 18)

Since this final part is so short there won't be an official announcement for it until next week when I can mention a new article at the same time. But also since it's so short, I didn't want to keep people waiting an extra week.

Sometimes I come up with jokes and just keep them in my head until I find a place to put them. For years I have had this joke in my head that takes place at a mall food court, where this guy with a really orange head appears behind a counter and says in a dry monotone, "Hello, I'm Julius." Go figure that when a scene finally arrives where it would fit, it's in a black-and-white comic. So I just broke the rules for one panel. It might be funnier now that he stands out so much.

6. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Robb seems surprisingly mature when struggling to control his roving eye, then trying to figure out with help from Winnie and Jessie why he even still has one after hooking up with a beautiful girl.