1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Free Comic Book Day 2016" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, May 7, 2016.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

[​IMG]

Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May each year - when participating comic book shops, hobby stores and other outlets across North America and around the world give away comic books to anyone who comes into their stores. Please check with your local shop for their participation and rules in the annual Free Comic Book Day event, or go to Free Comic Book Day for more.

How was your Free Comic Book Day 2016? What did you get? Collect and share!

Also, feel free to start other discussion threads for other titles or FCBD 2016 events!

Remember to check out the rest of the Comic Book Culture forum for more discussions and talkbacks!

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I finally live within walking distance of a comic shop, so I stopped by. Unfortunately it was one of the "you can only take three free ones" joints. I could hop the bus to another shop easily, but I feel you gotta buy something in every store you take free stuff from. I only budgeted for one.

Legend of Korra, Love and Rockets, Oddly Normal

3. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Our local comic store only had a take two policy, so i got One Punch Man and The Tick (i've never actually read the comic, i've seen both the animated series and the live action series, but never the comic).

4. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I went to 2 comic shops, one had a 10 free comic limit and the other had a 3 comic limit. I got for my 2016 FCBD free comics:

Bongo Free For All
    Bruce Lee
    Captain America
    Civil War II
    DC Superhero Girls
    Doctor Who
    Mix Tape 2016
    Pink Panther
    Pokemon
    Sonic Sampler
    Suicide Squad
    The Tick

5. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll be listing some more later as the comics I'm interested in from the pick is minor, but from time to time, I find myself interested in ones I'm unfamiliar with. Certain keeps for now:

- Bongo Comics Free-For-All 2016: Kind of tradition by now as this was my regular reading of Simpsons before getting the monthly comic.
    - Grumpy Cat: Story is fun, plus I have a Siamese Calico Cat who has a grumpy look herself and well it's basically like having a comic about her.
    - Oddly Normal: Fun little read and the person behind it (Otis Frampton) is an artist for the online videos "How it Should Have Ended".

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

On Saturday, I was in Albany. Library had a 2 book limit, so I took care of that. Went to a shop after that where they had a 5 book limit before venturing out to see "Captain America: Civil War".

On Sunday, the hometown shop still had remainders, and no restrictions, so I cleaned up. Didn't get Tick, Grumpy Cat, Sonic, Oddly Normal. I'm slowly going through them.

7. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

I didn't go to a comic book shop proper over the weekend but I was working in a library and the just so happened to have a Free Comic Book Day event set up for the little ones. From what I overheard from one parent, one of the local comic shops had a line extending out of the store, so I really dodged a bullet!

There was a one comic limit per person, so I just picked up a Captain America/Spider-Man book.

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Our local shop had a limit of 4 comics per person, so between my wife, my son, and me, we got 12 comics total. The ones we got:

ME
    - Dark Horse All-Ages/Legend of Korra
    - DC Super Hero Girls
    - The Bruce Lee comic (because Bruce Lee)
    - Suicide Squad

THE MISSUS
    - Mooncop
    - Lady Mechanika (she's into steampunk stuff, and this caught her eye)
    - Street Fighter (for my son)
    - The Tick

MY SON
    - Pokemon
    - Z2 Comics Lab
    - Science Comics
    - Pink Panther

Comments as I get time to sit down with them, but I ordered a few of these from my online comic book shop to give away for Halloween this year.