FOX wants to buy Time Warner

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by josie, Jul 16, 2014.

1. josie

josie Active Member

Fox made and offer, Time Warner rejected it, but this is just the starts of it.....

So if FOX eventually buys Time Warner, what impact could it have on Turner and its channels, specifically CN and Boom?

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

It could probably be bigger then anyone may or may not realize. Short term effects would be the Turner channels falling under Fox (who currently doesn't have a family-oriented channel; and no, the three National Geographic channels don't count) ownership along with their current channels such as FX, FXX, and the FX Movie Channel, as well as making the 1960s Batman series much easier to release in the future. Oh yeah, Fox would have it's own comic book company as well, which could lead to the TV show's original characters (i.e., Zelda, Marsha, the Queen of DIamonds, etc.*) appearing in the comics. As for the long term, who can say, really? One possible scenario is Turner no longer existing as a separate entity, as well as the Turner channels' network decay* (especially one network in particular, whose initials are "C.N.") possibly (repeat: possibly) becoming even worse (again, Fox currently doesn't have a family-oriented network [checks Wikipedia]; well, not in the U.S., anyway, so there's no telling what they might do). In any event, all we can do is follow this story and see what happens.

*I know there will be disagreements, but it has to be said: this includes the creation of [adult swim], as well as giving "TV-PG" to shows that really should have been given "TV-Y7". Also, while the Batman comics feature a character called "King Tut", this is because the original "King Tut" (or rather "Tutankhamen") is a public domain figure, meaning DC Comics could create its own "King Tut" character.

3. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Shouldn't this be in the Entertainment forum?

Anyway, I doubt this will amount to much. Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox are two of the biggest movie studios in the world, let alone North America. That alone creates a tower of antitrust concerns that could easily reach Mars, leaving no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that the Feds will approve of this.

EDIT: gmster has a thread over there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  4. Francisque

Francisque Active Member

A similar change could shake up things in Italy and other countries too...
    Here in Italy Turner does a joint venture with Mediaset (a serious Sky competitor) for Boing and some other things, and I doubt they would continue such an operation! A positive thing would be the launch of the HD channel on Sky..
    However I'm afraid of the negative possibilities, like the possibility decay of the schedule

5. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

I agree- it's Grade A horse hockey. We all know Cartoon Network is coming back to it's basics, but Time Warner doesn't need Fox's baggage and you're right, the FCC will not approve of this. At the same time, Time Warner is fine, just as it is, especially when it's in competition with archrival Disney. Fox had better worry about getting its own house in order and forget about acquiring Time Warner, altogether.

6. gmster

gmster Active Member

Fox is attempting to buy Time Warner

UPDATE: Time Warner Shares Soar On Reports Of $80B Offer By Rupert Murdoch - Deadline.com

7. RegularCapital

RegularCapital TVS: Portakabin TV Part of Fox Kids/Disney History

This is what I wrote on the CN International thread, I know not many people from the U.S. read the thread, but here's a summary of what I posted:

I doubt it will happen because of EU competition rules and because of Ofcom in the UK, the FCC and the FTC in the U.S.

The British Government has been strict on Sky and blocked a full News Corp merger with BSkyB because of the Phone Hacking scandal and was nearly deemed as a "not a fit and proper broadcaster".

They would also have to sell their shareholding in ITV.

Fox split from News Corp to separate from its controversial newspaper business and then buy Sky Europe.

TimeWarner is getting smaller because of the recent demergers, it's becoming a takeover target.

Is Fox Kids coming back? (It was a channel in Europe) :D

8. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Shouldn't this be prohibited by law? I'm glad the Warners said no.

9. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

How so? No offense, but I really don't see it. The only notable difference that I've seen on Cartoon Network as of late is that CN's execs seem to have cooled on the live action programming, at least for now.

Anyway, I figure that the FCC would never allow such a monopoly to happen. It would like if Disney and Warner Brothers wanted to merge into one super studio.

10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

If we've learned anything from AOL, it wouldn't work out.

Also, Time Warner is way too big for Fox's britches.

11. gmster

gmster Active Member

Despite Time Warner shooting down Fox's initial offer, Rupert Murdoch is adamant on this deal happening.

Murdoch seen likely to pursue Time Warner despite rebuff | Reuters

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Fox News and CNN under the same roof? Interesting....

13. gmster

gmster Active Member

No. If the deal happens, Fox has said that they'll spin-off CNN.

14. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Yeah, the plans are suspicious enough without a news overload.

15. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

I expected that someone would want to buy Time Warner at some point. I wouldn't want this to happen, but if it does, I would laugh at the irony of the whole WB Network vs. Fox thing.

16. gmster

gmster Active Member

When you think about it, the implications of what this deal would do are pretty mind-boggling.

• Fox would take control of WB's film library, and likely absorb Warner Bros. Pictures into 20th Century Fox. Likewise for WB's television and animation units.
    • Fox would own DC Comics. How about a X-Men/Justice League team-up movie? :eek:
    • Fox would own 50% of The CW.
    • Fox would own HBO.
    • Fox would absorb Turner Broadcasting. (Cartoon Network, Boomerang, TNT, TBS, TCM, and TruTV.) (CNN, and presumably HLN, will be spun-off.)

17. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

You probably didn't hear the news that Cartoon Network activated Christina Miller as their new president- things can only improve from there. Warner Bros. and Disney will never merge, not in this lifetime- the rivalry between the two studios goes back many years. Before Turner and Time Warner merged, Ted Turner bought Hanna-Barbera before then-Disney president Michael Eisner could get his hands on the property(I still wonder why Eisner didn't purchase Ruby-Spears for Disney, but that's another story). The Warner Bros.-Disney rivalry will go on for many years and don't be surprised if Cartoon Network's fortunes greatly improve under Christina Miller's leadership, it's just a matter of time.

18. Fix-it Felix Jr.

Fix-it Felix Jr. New Member

The first and second implications are great examples of mind-boggling:eek:. The last one is a great one because if Fox absorbs Cartoon Network, there is a strong possibly:confused: that they may revive the "Fox Kids Network or Fox Family" name to rename and rebrand CN (since Fox does not have its own family/kids network of its own).

19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Yes, I read about Christina Miller being named the new president of Cartoon Network, but that alone isn't any indication that CN will be "going back to it's roots". No plans or strategies or changes for the network have been announced as of yet. I get that you're optimistic, but I think that you may be jumping the gun here. Things may gradually improve over at CN, but the reality of it is that Cartoon Network will never go back to being old Cartoon Network.

I never said that they would; There's zero chance of a WB/Disney merger. The feds would never allow that to happen. I'm well aware of that fact. I was merely using that as an example of how unlikely the chances are of 20th Century Fox purchasing Time-Warner.

20. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

I thought Time Warner was more expensive than what FOX would have. They would be better off with like Paramount or Universal.