FOX to launch a Saturday late-night animation block in 2013

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Space Cadet, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

2. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Why are they starting the block in 2013? I mean 2012 just started, can't they do it by the Fall?

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Now the overload of animated greenlights makes sense. People wondered how they would all fit into Sunday night.....well, here's your answer. Two nights!

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say this is Fox's newest scheme to compete with SNL. I'm more likely to watch it than MAD TV anyway.

4. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

I've been predicting this for a while.

I don't really want another Adult Swim though.

I'd rather they went more in the direction of sophisticated adult humor, not juvenile "adult" humor.

And it would be nice to see someone properly fund animation. Not the do it as cheap as possible Adult Swim shows.

So getting the guy responsible for all these Adult Swim shows is not filling me with confidence.

5. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Myself, I'd rather see a block like MTV's Liquid Television of the 90s.

6. DuckTwacy

DuckTwacy French phone.

That's sorta what this sounds like to me. I only really skimmed through the article, but near the beginning they say something about "original animated shorts". So that sounds something like Liquid Television.

7. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

I really like the idea of Saturday Night animation block on FOX, but I wish they weren't getting someone related to Adult Swim to run it.

No offense to anyone that likes them but aside from Robot Chicken, I find most of the AS originals to be corny low budget crap. Most of their shows annoy me, and I just don't see the appeal.

I wish FOX was going for something more serious.

8. Nexonius

Nexonius Formerly John Dorian

I guess Nick didn't like his new position at Cartoon Network that much.

Back to this subject, I need to see what kind of late-nite animated content Fox's brewing up before I pass judgement as Adult Swim type comedy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  9. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Well, that explains why FOX has been greenlighting all these animated comedies lately.

I wish I could say that psyched to hear about this (since I've been dying for something good to watch on Saturday nights again), but sadly I'm not. None of FOX's animated comedies of late have really done anything for me (I currently make it a point to avoid Animation Domination at all costs) and the fact that this block is being headed by one of the guys behind Adult Swim isn't making me more enthused about this. I'd like to see some intelligent, clever, innovative animated comedies like Mission Hill, Duckman, Liquid Television and Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, but if it's just going to be more AS and Animation Domination type shows, then I'll pass.

10. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah New Member

Great to see Fox isn't going to let their animation success get restricted to the Sunday night block. Although I do foresee the Saturday block partially being a dumping ground for anything that doesn't work on AD, Just like Sit Down Shut Up did a few years ago.

I hope this lights a fire under Adult Swim as well. The whole block's been complacent for far too long and a little competition should really bring out some more quality programming from both sides.

11. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

I'm willing to see what FOX will crank out on this block. I just hope it doesn't become a dumping ground for shows that couldn't cut it with The Simpsons and Family Guy.

12. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

Reminds me of Cartoon Network's "World Premiere Toons".

13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I'm always excited for projects like these to see new animated shorts and series. Hopefully the new block's output won't be of higher quality than that of Adult Swim's.

14. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Did you mean you hope it wont be of lower quality?

Because lower quality than Adult Swim would be pretty terrible to see but higher quality would be more than welcome at this point.

I find it interesting this is going on Saturday night and I wonder if FOX is going to keep Adult Swim from running FOX comedies during that time frame and around that time on Saturday. That could cause some interesting changes to Saturday Adult Swim. Good thing it's not going up against more than a half hour of ASA otherwise ASA would probably get replaced by original comedies that they expect would do better in the slots.

15. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

I'm only looking forward to this is FOX can turn out better stuff than their Sunday lineup. That and to give AS some much needed competition.

The Problem remaining is how much quality and effort will be put into these shows. If they're no better than most of the stuff on AS, we're in some trouble here.

There's a reason I don't watch most "adult-oriented" shows over what would otherwise be considered "little kid stuff"...

16. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

That could be interesting actually. The Simpsons and Family Guy appeal to more mainstream tastes, so if a show "can't cut it" on their level, it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, just not mainstream.

I could, however, do without the endless knockoffs of those "family" animated sitcoms. Seth already provides the bulk of those shows.

17. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"

I'm actually hoping this will end up more like the original Nicktoons block than Adult Swim; a slot where disgruntled and disenfranchised creatives and animators can pretty much strut their stuff. It would give the current doldrums of animation the kick-in-the-pants it needs.

18. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

I saw this coming when I looked at how many cartoons Fox had green lite and I knew they couldn't show them all on one night.

I'm calling it right now and saying that either American Dad or The Cleveland Show is moving to this night to headline it.

19. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I guess they couldn't sustain all of Seth MacFarlane's four shows in a single night.

20. Kindness King

Kindness King New Member

Three, he has three of them. And half the time, until recently, they put at least one of them off in favor of some new show.