1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Fox Kids vs Kids WB

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Eek!Swimmer1623, Sep 4, 2017.

?

Which block did you prefer?

1. Fox Kids

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Kids WB

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Both

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

Which one did you like more?

For me, I liked both of them equally but mainly specific years of both. Fox Kids was at the top of its game in the 1992 season all the way up to the 1997 season. Kids WB was at the top of its game in the 1995 season to the 1999 season

I loved Fox Kids for shows like Animaniacs, Batman, Eek!, Taz-Mania, X-Men, Spider-Man, Tiny Toons, Merrie Melodies, and The Tick and I also really enjoyed shows like Life with Louie, Goosebumps, Bobby's World, Power Rangers, Beetlejuice, Dog City, and Carmen Sandiego.

I loved Kids WB for shows like Animaniacs, Batman, Tiny Toons, That's Warner Bros./Bugs 'n' Daffy, Freakazoid, Pinky and the Brain, Men in Black, Batman Beyond, and Superman. I also used to love Pokemon. I also enjoyed shows like Road Rovers, Histeria, Detention, and Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries. And Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain was pretty decent also (not a great show, but I like it more than most people do).

So, I am going to say both. They were really awesome blocks and had some of the best Television Animation of the 90s. In fact, my dad didn't even have cable during the 90s, so all he could watch was stuff on Kids WB and Fox Kids and stuff and he loved Batman, Superman, and Animaniacs as his top 3 shows on those blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Fox Kids, mostly because of their anime lineup...and because I couldn't pick up Kids' WB at a reasonably good quality.

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Great question. Technically speaking, Kids WB had the better shows. No question about that in my mind. But almost all of those shows were from Warner Bros Animation outside of Men In Black, Jackie Chan Adventures, X-Men: Evolution, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Earthworm Jim. I think even if the quality of Fox's line-up wasn't QUITE as good, it was far more eclectic and all encompassing. Kids WB really only liked to air shows they made themselves. They never would have greenlit Eek! The Cat, Bobby's World, or The Tick. Which makes Fox Kids better by default.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Kids WB it was the block with the better selection of shows, I was very fond of their programming as a kid. I also liked Fox Kids but can't remember much of it.

5. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

Personally, I liked both blocks. But as for which was objectively better, I'd say Kids' WB! was the superior network. Fox Kids in it's later years suffered from a lack of recent hit shows, and began to over-rely on anime after Pokemon happened. By the time they tried finding new original hits in the 2001 season, including a scraped animated Buffy series, it was too little, too late. The network, along with the rest of Fox Family Worldwide was sold to Disney in October that year, and the remaining scraps were fed to 4kids.

#5 TheMisterManGuy, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  6. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Kids' WB since I'm more familiar with their shows. The only Fox Kids shows I watched were Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, and Batman: The Animated Series.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was way more into Kids' WB than Fox Kids. Even before I got into Pokemon, I'd watch shows like Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Freakzoid and the New Batman/Superman Adventures. I absolutely loved their afternoon block. Coming home from school to watch an hour of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! was just fantastic. Watching Batman and Superman while fixing myself a nice after school snack was great too. The only shows that I remember watching on Fox Kids were the first three Digimon series and some of Power Rangers, although I don't know how long I actually watched the series for. I might have watched some other shows on Fox Kids, but I don't remember.

Both blocks did have good shows, but I think Kids' WB was overall better. I definitely have more nostalgic fondness for Kids' WB, but both shows had their peak years and good/memorable shows.

8. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I only had Fox Kids, but I voted Kids WB because their shows are better in my opinion :D

9. Storygamer88

Storygamer88 New Member

I think both had some really nice gems, but if I had to pick, I'd go with Kids WB. Stuff like Pokemon, Jackie Chan Adventures, Spectacular Spiderman, Megaman NT Warrior, CardCaptor Sakura, etc were just such a blast to watch. I think Fox Kids had Digimon which was awesome, but it only lasted one season in Adventure, unfortunately. But lots of good memories with both, regardless.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I forgot that Kids' WB had Spectacular Spider Man. I didn't see it until 4Kids took over their block years after it had ended, but I am still sad that we only got two seasons of that series. It was probably one of the last good shows Kids WB aired before the block ended.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Fox Kids started out really strong (with 1992-1994 being its best years), but I lost interest when more and more live action began to creep into the block.

12. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Fox Kids vs. Kids WB?!? What, no love for UPN Kids? ;) All three were "over the air" antenna channels, though I never could pick up the UPN channel with my antenna...but that's the channel that aired the other "non-Spider-Man" Marvel cartoons in the late 90's (Hulk, Iron Man, Fantastic Four)...

Anyway, the correct answer is: Both. Just for different years.

Fox Kids from 1992 to 1996. Kids WB from 1997 to 2001. I know others here would say Kids WB was still in it's prime up till 2004 or 2005, but I disagree.

And some people here are mentioning "Spectacular Spider-Man", but let's be honest - that was "The CW 4 Kids". The period after the UPN and Kids WB networks combined, to form "The CW" network.

"The CW" started broadcasting in September 2006, but the kids block still kept the "Kids WB" logo until May of 2008, when it became "The CW 4 Kids". In 2010, it became "Toonzai", and in 2012, it became "Vortexx".

My point is, anything after May 2008 is a different thing from "Kids WB". Arguably, it's anything after September 2006.

#12 wonderfly, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I could have sworn that Spectacular Spider Man aired during the Kids' WB era, but I must have mixed it up with the CW block. I think that they did call it Kids WB on the CW, or something along those lines, before the CW 4Kids took over, so that probably factored into the confusion too.

14. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Hmm, well, I did some research, and according to Wikipedia, apparently "Spectacular Spider-Man" first aired in March 2008, a couple months before Kids WB officially became "The CW 4 Kids". So the early broadcasts were still under the "Kids WB" logo.

Since the overall channel had become "The CW" in the Fall of 2006, I just consider everything from the Fall of 2006 onward to be "The CW 4 Kids", even if it still said "Kids WB". The channel lost the rights to air Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh in 2006, so that signaled the end of the "Kids WB" era, in my mind.

I break "Kids WB" up into 3 eras:

1995-2001: Kids WB "Golden Age" (for lack of a better term), when the focus was on Warner Bros. properties (like Batman/Superman and the Animaniacs type stuff)
    2001-2006: Kids WB "Silver Age": When the focus was on anime. Pokemon had joined the line-up in 1999, but the addition of Yu-Gi-Oh to the block in the Fall of 2001 marked the shift into this era.
    2006-2014: Kids WB "Bronze Age": The fragmentation of the channel, when it became "The CW 4 Kids", "Toonzai" and "Vortexx".

Likewise, I break "Fox Kids" into 3 eras:

1990-1996: Fox Kids "Golden Age", when they had the rights to both Marvel and DC cartoons, and the Tiny Toons/Animaniacs material.
    1996-2002: Fox Kids "Silver Age", after they lost the rights to the DC/Warner Bros. material. A period of experimentation, with stuff like the Godzilla cartoon, "Beast Wars/Beast Machines", Cybersix, and finally the dive into anime with "Digimon", "Monster Rancher" and "Escaflowne".
    2002-2008: Fox Kids "Bronze Age": The channel becomes "Fox Box" (the name is later changed to "4Kids TV"). A different line-up all together (at least they had the 2003 Ninja Turtles though)...

#14 wonderfly, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  15. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I remember watching Fox Kids when Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs is on until Animaniacs moved to Kids WB and watch Kids WB instead.