1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Fox Kids 2001 - 2002 Season

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by James Harvey, Jun 28, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I figured I'd start a new thread for this topic.

Here is a rundown of the new shows:

Fox Kids announced its shows for the 2001-2002 season, which will not include new episodes of either Spider-Man Unlimited or Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot.

Both series, currently airing on Fox Kids, will continue through summer.

Fox Kids' slate will include more than 300 new episodes and eight new shows, including Evolution, based on the upcoming Ivan Reitman movie. Returning shows with new episodes include Action Man, Digimon: Digital Monsters, Los Luchadores, Power Rangers Time Force and Woody Woodpecker.

Here's a rundown on the new shows:

EVOLUTION

The animated series picks up where the film leaves off. Evolution tells the story of history repeating itself when a meteor carrying a single-cell organism from outer space crashes in the Arizona desert. The extraterrestrial organism begins evolving at an incredibly rapid rate and soon promises to obliterate all life on earth and supplant it with its own. DIC Entertainment will produce 26 episodes.

OUTER DIMENSION

A universe parallel to our own, The Outer Dimension is full of fantasy, mythology and many phenomenal creatures however, it is not without peril. The malicious Gorm has taken over, brainwashing species and destroying worlds, and only one boy can defeat his evil ways, Nicholas Bluetooth. Nicholas, born of an earthling father and Outer Dimension mother, along with the help of his best friend Allegra, a robot named Jens and a cast of imaginative creatures, must overthrow Gorm and unite Earth with the universe of The Outer Dimension. Tom Lynch Company has produced 26 live-action episodes with CGI elements.

THE RIPPING FRIENDS

From the creator of Ren & Stimpy, John Kricfalusi, comes an animated story of Crag, Rip, Slab and Chunk, four of the manliest super-heroes whose mission is to RIP anything that stands in the way of freedom and goodness. They're the greatest crime-busters in the known universe, with powers and abilities beyond those of mortal men. Undaunted by danger, although a little fearful of their mother He-Mom, these really, really big kids will outwit, for example, the villainous mutated under-shorts. Produced by Spumco, Inc. and Cambium Entertainment, there are 13 episodes.

TRANSFORMERS: ROBOTS IN DISGUISE

Dr. Onishi, a very powerful scientist, has influenced the "star" called Earth. The malicious and spiteful Destolonga robots want to capture Dr. Onishi because he has the ability to help them gain control of Earth. Only the good Transformer Car robots, called Cyber robots, can stop the Destolonga's evil plan and save the Earth from being seized. Asatsu has produced 39 animated episodes.

SHINZO

In classic anime style, Shinzo tells the story of humankind being replaced by genetically engineered evil creatures called Enterrans. A young girl named Yukomo is the last existing human on Earth. Yukomo befriends Mushra, Sago and Kutal, three good-hearted Enterrans. These three earthling friendly Enterrans use their transformation capabilities to protect the group as they strive for their common goal, to locate Shinzo where the key to the Earth's restoration is located. Saban Entertainment is producing 30 episodes.

WHAT'S WITH ANDY

Andy Larkin isn't like other children, he's not into sports, science or even video games. Andy spends his time mastering the art of being a prankster. In fact, he strives to be the greatest practical joker the world has ever seen! However, Andy's mischievous antics often backfire and he suffers greatly for his art. The animated series is based on the book series, Just Kidding, by Andy Griffiths. Cinegroupe has produced 26 half-hour episodes.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

Buffy the Vampire Slayer The Animated Series follows "the chosen one" as she struggles through adolescence, but unlike most teenage girls who spend hours at the mall and on the phone, Buffy spends her time tackling the monsters that lurk in her cafeteria, her classes and even her home.

I can't seem to find a schedule, but those are the new shows coming. LOS LUCHADORES is returning, along with DIGIMON, ACTION MAN, POWER RANGERS, and MAGIC SCHOOL BUS.

2. batboy2001

batboy2001 Spider Jerusalem

Sounds like a great lineup.:rolleyes: Maybe I should give it a chance though, just because it's Fox doesn't mean it will bomb.:rolleyes:

3. James Harvey

I dunno. Due to the net's bad performance for the past three years, FOX KIDS is considering axing FOX KIDS all togethor. They've lost alot of money on advertising and even had to give out free advertising as well as lenghten commercial time by another 30 - 60 seconds just to get the advertising they need. Kids'WB! has been doing, well, much better then they.

4. batboy2001

batboy2001 Spider Jerusalem

I always knew that Fox Kids had abnormally long commercials.

5. Nightflower

Nightflower Floral Mod Extraordinaire

Yes, that's why they cut stuff here and there out of many of their shows.

Buffy the Animated Series sounds lame.

6. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Buffy the Animated Queries

Oh, for the love of--! It's another animated Sabrina! I can see it now--a 12-year-old Buff staking vamps in junior high, mooning over an Angel-like eighth grader bloodsucker, constantly bickering with the snooty Cordy-like rich girl in her class, and being lusted over by Spike (who is not a seventh-grader like herself, and thus is Saturday morning's first pedophiliac bloodsucker). Oh, wait--can't forget the unrequited lover, tousled-haired young Xander...and a talking animal of some sort, voiced by the actor who plays Giles.

Is it my imagination or does The Ripping Friends make one think of a flatulence joke (e.g. "I just ripped a big one! Must'a been those burritos and chili I had for lunch!")

7. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

If it's on children's network TV, it can't help but be lame. And because it's for kids, the story arcs are less complicated, and the character development almost non-existent. And since Whedon's been on a cheeky "ain't we clever" trip for the last two seasons of the live action version, I expect the dialogue to be even more "we're so clever we're cute." AAG.

Ripping Friends sounds interesting, but I'm not a die-hard Spumco fan, and I've always thought that their rep has been a tad overrated. Still, they're one of the few old-school animation companies around.

Evolution's description sounds a bit like a boring science documentary. :eek: How was the movie?

8. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

Re: Buffy the Animated Queries

Well, since it is John "You must cling tenaciously to my buttocks" Kricfalusi, I'm sure the implication is wholly intentional. :D

9. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

All I have to say is: Woo-hoo! Transformers: RiD!!!! I can't wait!!!

10. Leaping Larry Jojo

Get ready to be disappointed.

11. Clayface

And why exactly would I be disappointed? I have yet to see a TF show that disappointed, and what I've seen of these episodes was great. And I love the toy line that goes with it. So what in the world is there to be disappointed in?

12. Leaping Larry Jojo

I HAVE seen this show on an import VCD, and I'll just say three things:

Cute. Kid. Sidekicks.

13. Clayface

I've seen it too (not all the eps, but most of them), and they didn't bother me one bit.

14. Leaping Larry Jojo

You are one die-hard Transformers fan. :rolleyes:

15. James Harvey

I think that FK will be battling KWB for supreme suckatude, while FK will be stuck back sucking in the ratings. Their line-up will be reduced to the same junk they have now, likely. I can't see 6 or their 8 shows suriving the first 3 months, let alone 3 weeks.

16. JustJack

JustJack Just Odd

Good point. Fox Kids Cancells everything before giving anything a chance. Big Guy & SpiderMan were cancelled after 3 episodes. Why? Ratings wern't up to par, but honestly they wern't that bad. So they bring both shows back, & what happens? They do really well! Fox doesn't let anything have a chance...

17. James Harvey

Agreed! When FK brought back Big Guy and Spidey Unlimited, they performed extremely well. FK originally pulled the plug on the shows to make way for a 3rd weekend DIGIMON episodes and a 2nd Monster Rancher episode. Big Guy is still pulling in stellar ratings, as did Spidey Unlimited before they ended the series to put on...*snicker*...Kong!

Expect the Fox Kids schedule to look nothing like how they predict.