1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Fox CEO confirms "The Simpsons" will not be ending in the foreseeable future

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by JTOONSAnimation, Aug 12, 2017.

?

When will "The Simpsons" end?

1. In the 2020's

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. In the 2030's

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. After 2040?

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

Considering that I prefer Family Guy over The Simpsons these day, honestly, having it last much longer is dangerous because of the voice cast and its plots. They're not that young anymore compared to when they first started. One of the worst things about the shows nowadays is that they sound so fatigued. I feel bad for Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer, since their voice acting is suffering the most. Even Dan Castellanta, Yeardley smith, and Nancy Cartwright can sound off in the past several years. But it had gotten way more worn out these days, especially with Marge, and most of Shearer's characters (he should've quitted back in 2015). Hank Azaria is the only main cast that still sounds young imo. Don't get me started on the plots, we seen marriage crisis and Bart getting a girlfriend way too much.

Oh well, I hope people "enjoy" the next 4 years or so of the Simpsons. I bet it's gonna be nothing but Trump jokes. Honestly, I'm actually okay with FOX still continuing making new Family Guy episodes, because at least the voice actors and writers try to sound like they still care.

2. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

You gotta be kidding me

Even SpongeBob SquarePants will end before The Simpsons!

Actually as bad as Viacom has relied on SpongeBob FOX is much worse

SBSP started in 1999...

The Simpsons started in the early 80's...

I will always respect the Simpsons since it gave us one of the best licensed video games ever but it does need to go!

Like I said FOX's over-reliance on the show is even worse than Nickelodeon/Viacom with SpongeBob

3. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Funny, Super Eyepatch Wolf on youtube just put up a video essay about how the show went from its start, golden years, decline, and now where it became just a husk of what it once was.

Like any piece of media has a time and place. The Simpsons belonged as a perfect time capsule of the 90s, it doesn't work as well in another generation with so much change both within the show and outside of it. Seeing that statement from FOX isn't surprising and shows how these people don't live in the same reality we do so they have different priorities.

Last season was the first time I barely watched. I lasted almost 20 years longer than everyone I know, but last season was the first I can't remember even laughing or any of the stories. Just a new low and it's really sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

Actually it started in 1987 on "The Tracey Ullman Show" on April 19. Which means that this year makes it the 30th anniversary of the Simpsons' first appearance on TV! And we missed acknowledging it! Oh, well. Once again, better late than never. Happy Anniversary, Simpsons.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I wonder if people in Japan whine about new episodes of Doraemon, Shinchan and Sazesan the the same way people in the US complain about The Simpsons.

6. UberHamster

UberHamster Member

The Simpsons will end when the world end. Until then it will still be Fox's little cash cow.

7. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

I could see why Fox is keeping it.

• It's the highest rated program on Sunday nights for a long time (in recent years Family Guy has often temporarily taken the title) and even the highest rated comedy on the network (again, also often temporarily taken by Family Guy)
    • It brings in a lot of money.
    • It is still one of the most popular shows on TV right now, believe it or not:
    thesimpsons.PNG

8. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

That FOX CEO is lousy and greedy and cares nothing but money! let this show die with dignity, it died in 2002 for me. Stop watching this show and they will finally stop.

9. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

Except those franchises are still popular in their native country, especially with the target audience and demographics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

The Simpsons is literally the most watched animated series in the United States.

11. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

That was along time ago and now it's time for people to stop watching and giving Fox money! Fox just sucks nowadays (minus Logan and Deadpool) when it's run by incompetent fools

12. Draco Dracul

Draco Dracul New Member

It will go on until either Castellaneta or Cartwright retire.

13. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

Agree, it needs to die already

14. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

I understand the CEO's thought here. Fox without The Simpsons would be just as weird as Nick without Spongebob. Plus, imo The Simpsons still has some interesting and hilarious stories/moments from time to time even though it's earliest seasons were much better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Queen of Mean

The Queen of Mean New Member

I really thought it would end at 30, which is a good solid number to end on. Kind of surprising. You think at this point they have so many shows they could just make money off of reruns and such. Why waste so much money and effort producing new episodes that not too many people care about? (It might have the "highest rated" animated show title, but that's not saying too much if you compare ratings 20 years ago to now. Viewing audience is definitely down compared to its glory days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Past a point, the show can only do so well it really isn't doing much better these days, sure people aren't really against the show continuing but at the same time no one is really demanding more out of The Simpsons. The show staff have seen difficulties over the years and to keep any difficulties away at this point is lucky it really is because of how long these people have been involved. The show can go on but troubles are just a worry Fox should have to keep it going.

17. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

Haven't cared about The Simpsons in nearly a decade. The show itself hasn't been good in nearly 20 years.

18. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

It's funny how many people are so sure that a show they haven't seen in decades, hasn't been good in decades.

19. HORNS1968CE

HORNS1968CE THE LAST MAJOR

As for the longevity of TS, I stopped being scared of/angered by that verity long ago.
    Let the drokking series exist as long as it feels it should exist.
    Animated sitcoms have evolved and gone far beyond what TS was flocked to for.

20. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

Except I HAVE seen a lot of the later episodes and they are horrendous. The humor is forced, the pop culture references are lame, and the storylines are stale as lettuce in a refrigerator.

Also the general consensus is from all Simpsons fans is that the golden age was from Seasons 1-9. And The Simpsons haven't been culturally relevant since the Early 2000's, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #40 TheMusicdewd, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017