"Fox 25th Anniversary Special" Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Peter Paltridge, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

It begins tonight at 8, preceded by the first episodes of Married with Children and The Simpsons (which, yes, means a Christmas episode in April).

I hope none of you are expecting a segment about Fox Kids, because odds are very good it's not gonna happen. Remember that Fox no longer holds the rights to any of those shows.

2. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Ah, Married with Children. The show that launched FOX into the mainstream. Haven't seen the pilot episode in years. Good stuff.

3. bluenowait

bluenowait Hootenanny

I quit watching after they underrepresented The Simpsons, and gave the full-on spotlight to Family Guy. I know FOX has congratulated The Simpsons before plenty of times, but does it deserve to stand in the shadow of a program people started watching when it was re-ran on another network?

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

For that matter, while I can understand no Fox Kids moments (although I'd prefer that over the reality TV segment), anyone else wish they'd at least acknowledge B:tAS during the animation segment (as it did air on Sunday nights the winter of the 1992-1993 season)?

5. Rainbow Sharpie

Rainbow Sharpie gonna bury you with my sound~

Wow, did Simpsons get screwed here! A couple of their celebrity cameos and that was about it. Family Guy really got the star treatment here, even though I loved their montage (classic FG representation is always nice).

6. Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt

Yeah, I'm not expecting to see any Fox Kids segments because I'm sure that if that name is uttered on Fox's airwaves, every affiliate will instantly cut the signal and drop the affiliation. That's how much they detested that block at the end. That said, I think any history of Fox has to at least mention Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. It and X-Files were really what saved that 93-94 season for Fox.

But I'm glad they put in the reality show segment because, really, it's comedy gold. NBC put in Supertrain and the Heidi game, Fox had to put in their "World's Most <adjective> <noun> <number>" specials and How to Marry a Multi-Millionaire.

7. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I know there's no chance in hell, but has Firefly or Arrested Development gotten a mention on this special?

8. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Arrested Development was shown(along with Futurama). I'm not sure if Firefly was mentioned.

9. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Firefly and a bunch of other Sci-Fi shows including my beloved Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles were shown in a really cool Sc-Fi sizzle reel. As much as Fox does can these shows before they can shine, they DO give them a shot, hell, Fringe is on it's fourth season despite low ratings.

10. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

That was an enjoyable special.

I especially enjoyed the animated segments and was pleased to see Bob's Burgers got a sketch.

I was disappointed that Topher wasn't present for the That 70's Show reunion. I mean they got Mila and Ashton who have busier careers but not Topher?

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

For your viewing pleasure, here's what the crowd at the beginning of the Simpsons sketch looked like:

[​IMG]

And also, the Bob's Burgers sketch:

[​IMG]

So thanks to Loren Bouchard, The Tick got a subliminal plug.

There was nothing special I could spot in the Seth Shows crowd shot at the beginning -- just his characters, no out-there cameos (not even "The PJs" mentioned by Cleveland).

12. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

I think there are two things that made FOX a “real” network. The first is sports coverage. The second was buying up vhf stations and moving out of the uhf wasteland. Of course that was before cable reached nearly full saturation or today’s digital era, where everyone would immediately drop cable if it they weren’t the ones delivering their broadband internet streaming.

Married with Children was a rough show. I can’t think of any show where they zing and score on each other harder.

I think the only mention of the Tracey Ullman Show was that it was where TheSimpsons got their start. At the start that was the only FOX show I made a point of watching every week.

Didn’t see any mention of some of their first shows like “Duet” “Mr. President” (staring George C. Scott), “The New Adventures of Beans Baxter” or “Down and Out in Beverley Hills.” These shows existed folks, like it or not. Mostly “not” I’m guessing.

But "21 Jump Street" got it's due.

I expected this to be mostly a tribute to "American Idol," "90210," "24," "Ally McBeal" and "X Files".
    Of those, I only watched the "X Files."

I kind of miss those awful Worlds blankiest blank shows. But then I remembered that's what YouTube is for.

Batman is more of a footnote or trivia question as far as FOX programing is concerned since they moved away from Saturday morning cartoons. I don't think they consider action cartoons in primetime a success.

I thought we would have seen more of Fringe since it's a current show and they seemed to do a lot of promoting current shows.

I guess there is too much bad blood on That 70's Show.

Also, I don't think Jim Carrey was there for the In Living Color segment, which would be odd because I think I saw Good Morning America advertising an In Living Color reunion with Jim Carrey.

Those animated segments were definitely the highlight of the show.
    It looks like a big vote of confidence that Bob's Burgers got to make one.
    Thought Homer's response was funny to New Girl not moving.

Funny since Family Guy is always the show to have cameos of other shows.
    But if it wasn't for Peter listing the couple dozen shows that got canceled before they were asked back, there would have been zero mention of most of them.

Thanks for posting those pics.

13. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Really? I don't recall seeing Futurama at all in this special.

14. DuckTwacy

DuckTwacy French phone.

15. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Oddly Futurama did appear in the promo for this special. I wonder what change their minds?

Wow. Watching the reality show reel was surprising. Surprising because I had erase them from my memory and didn't remenber any of them until the reel was shown. Seriously Fox what the hell was wrong with you greenlighting most of them? Mr. Personality,Who wants to marry a millionarie? Seriously horrible ideas.

16. MagicBox

MagicBox xoBcigaM

I was a little annoyed with how FOX defended their decision to green-light all those horrible, idiotic reality shows with "well, we're pushing the envelope!" But other than that, I really enjoyed it. I was surprised by how heavily they seemed to be promoting the That 70's Show segment. It was great to see most of the cast again, but the group just doesn't look right without Topher and Danny.

I agree that The Simpsons got shafted. Family Guy gets all this praise for "pushing the boundaries for what a prime-time cartoon is capable of," yet the longest and most influential prime-time cartoon of all time receives a measly guest star montage? At least they showed the series a little more respect by airing the first episode prior. Sad that neither King of the Hill nor Futurama got any spotlight, though.

Overall, it was a (surprisingly) sincere and enjoyable trip down memory lane. It would have benefited from being a little longer, but I think for a special that can only be two-hours, they hit most of the high points.

17. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

I watched this last night and really liked it. Fox has really rose from it's simple beginnings and has become one of the best networks of all time, and my personal favorite. I liked how all the animated shows running currently got a little segment in the special where they got to make jokes about Fox and it's practices (Something acknowledged in the special actually :p) Like the guy said at the end, good job Fox and here's to 25 more years.

18. Lanmanna

Lanmanna New Member

Why did they feel the need to show their cruddy reality shows? The time could've been used towards King of the Hill and Futurama; aside from that, it was a good retrospect.

19. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Now that I've finally gotten a chance to watch the special, I can list my favorite Fox shows by genre:

My favorite comedies: In Living Color, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Martin, Living Single, That 70s Show

My favorite sci-fi series: Flrefly

My favorite dramas: Beverly Hills 90210, New York Undercover, Party of Five, Boston Public

My favorite animated shows: The Simpsons, King of the Hill

My favorite kid shows (just for the heck of it): Fox's Fun House, Tiny Toon Adventures, Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates, X-Men, Power Rangers, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?, Masked Rider, BeetleBorgs, Digimon, Beast Machines: Transformers, Galidor, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

My favorite reality shows: as if

I forgot about a lot of those reality shows. They were just pathetic anyway, like most reality shows. One show I'm glad they didn't touch upon though, is Nanny 911.

I didn't really watch That 70s Show when it was active on Fox. Netflix was my means of seeing all the episodes once all the seasons made it to DVD. Same with Firefly. Strange thing is, I have no recollection whatsoever of Firefly ever airing on Fox.

I did catch the finale for That 70s Show though. It aired on my birthday in 2006, and it ended pretty much the way I imagined. The year 1979 would end and they'd go into 1980, and the part of the license plate that shows the last two digits of the year would read "80". I just wasn't counting on not seeing anything happen past the final second of 1979.

20. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

I saw the whole two hours. Not bad. They did show a cursory clip from "Malcolm In The Middle".