1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

For Marvel, everything seems to be pointing to "reboot"

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by Peter Paltridge, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

This is the strongest hint yet.

[​IMG]

All the other crazy promo cards have had a date of Summer. Could it be spelled out any plainer?

As someone said, "when you kill Wolverine, everything else dies."

2. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I kind of doubt it a reboot. They already try this with Heroes Reborn and it failed. They have new titles coming soon like Spider Gwen and Secret Wars a crossover that needs continuity to work. I am curious to what it is though.

3. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

Batman Inc and the Red Lanterns and Teen Titans needed continuity to work, didn't stop DC.

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Given the hate for the new 52, I doubt they'd reboot their universe. If they do, one thing is certain: It would be the nine millionth time any and every Marvel title got a new volume with a special issue number one.

5. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Why do a flu blown reboot when everything is revamped every 2/3 years anyway? All they seem to do is come up with a new shock to get a new #1 out then revamp it back to how it was before with a new #1.

Have many of the new 52 books undergone a massive success post New 52? I imagine it's the same books still selling well and the weaker books are still struggling.

If they do do a full blown revamp, I hope they go a full revamp instead of a half arsed new 52 one. Do we have any explanation as to how Batman has been Batman for 5 years but still had all these different Robins under his wing?

6. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

If you look deeply into this Marvel has been predicting something like this would happen, around this time during since the Early 90's

7. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

With the whole Secret Wars coming it does feel like it's going to be a Reboot since they are bringing everything Marvel had shown over the years.

8. Rabbitearsblog

It does seem like they are planning a reboot since they are going back to older stories but then again, I don't really see Marvel actually going through with a reboot because their cinematic universe is already tied in with most of their comics and I don't see Marvel wanting to follow in DC's footsteps in terms of rebooting their line, unless it was necessary to do so. We would have to wait and see what Secret Wars is going to do to the Marvel Universe and whether or not it will reboot the universe.

9. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

I wondered when this would finally happen. DC continuity has had a zillion reboots, and it was only so long before Marvel finally gave into the same temptation. Honestly, I'm amazed they actually held back for this long.

Of course, maybe it isn't a hard reboot. Maybe it's just Marvel Now 2.0: Bigger and Bolder, and the "Everything Ends" tagline is just hype. In any case, we'll know soon enough.

10. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I'm surprised no one posted this yet, but Everything Ends in Secret Wars: Battleworld, Marvel's big summer event, and here's the trailer

[video=youtube;3FQRDW3IaZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FQRDW3IaZ4[/video]

11. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I think it is. People have pointed out that the last few years have gotten really wild and kind of experimental and it seems like the stuff that they're doing because they know none of it is going to matter in a year. Make Captain America black and Thor a woman? Sure. Make a team of their Avengers (including A-lister Iron Man and soon-to-be movie characters Black Panther and Doctor Strange) into villains complicit in genocide who are now being hunted like dogs by their former teammates? Sure. A bunch of Spidey stunts including a bunch of AU Spider-Men being killed? Sure.

"None if it is going to matter in a few months, so go nuts kids!"

12. Rabbitearsblog

I actually agree with this. This might also explain why Marvel decided to ditch having straight-forward continuity in the last few years since even if they said that all of these events are cannon, there's no way any of these events will make sense in the long scheme of things, especially when they are constantly contradicting each other. Maybe, this is Marvel's way of saying, "well, we are about to start over, so go all out, ya bunch of writers!" But that's just a speculation on my part.

13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Why didn't Archie comics' Archie and Betty and Veronica reboot back with a new series starting with a new issue #1?

14. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

Probably because Archie Comics didn't feel the need to?

TBH, I never though Marvel would ever do a Crisis-style reboot until after Stan Lee died, but I guess anything's possible in today's comics industry.

15. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Marble insists on feeding the beast of #1 collectors, but IMPO, speculating went out with the last century. Buckley's an idiot for letting this go on, and Disney should be calling him on the carpet for ruining the company. While they're at it, they might as well check Ear Loeb & Quesada's qualifications to be TV producers.......

16. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That would be kind of pointless for a series with no continuity.

17. Rabbitearsblog

I agree. Most stories in Archie comics don't really have a story that remains in continuity for very long or if they did have a major story arc, they usually reset the outcomes of the stories anyway.