1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Fleischer Studios/Famous Studios "Superman" Cartoons Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by James Harvey, Nov 9, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment on these classic cartoons!

1. *****

55.0%
  2. ****1/2

30.0%
  3. ****

15.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

This might be worth the double-dip for me. I bought one of those cheapo $9.99 sets years ago but the mastering studio had the nerve to put their watermark on the shorts.

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Never felt like I needed another version after I got the Diamond Anniversary Edition years back. I am interested in the documentaries though; I never got my hands on the dvds from the Superman Collection.

I wonder what took them so long to put out an official Warner Bros. edition (I'm still waiting for Ruby-Spears Superman).

3. Steven C

Steven C Active Member

Thats what Im waiting for!

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

if you have the ultimate superman collection, this doesnt seem worth it. the first flight featurette is from the utlimate collection. if this is better quality, i guess it would be worth it for some people. i know i'll pass.

i'm hoping that they have something else to release along side this. maybe the 60's filmation batman, filmation superboy, remaining filmation superman episodes, and any other animated matieral waiting release.

5. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

We're supposed to be getting the Ruby Spear's Plastic Man next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was released along side this.

I'm kind of surprised they're not releasing anything alongside the All New Superfriends Hour Vol. next monthl

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

My brother got a bootleg VHS set of the series several years ago at a convention, with a Private Snafu short at the end of the tape. Many of the shorts have been in public domain since then, usually for a buck a pop. Marking 4/7 down on the calendar.

7. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe Active Member

I'm getting this, all because I never got SII or any other release of these cartoons, I love these cartoons, and its great to finally get a DVD that has these features that, as far as I can tell, only certain other releases had spread all over.

The caption that says "First Authorized Collection from the Original Masters", is that true? I know there were some edits made since the first releases (like Clark saying "Don't you think that's a dangerous mission for a girl?" after Losi leaves the editor's office in the first cartoon), so would that mean the uneditted versions will be released for the first time in this?

Eitherw ay, I'AM getting this!

8. Wag

Wag Member

It's nice they're rereleasing it, but I really wish they released them simultaneously on Blu-Ray.:(

9. Ultraman

Ultraman Member

I will get this because since Warner Bros has announced this, that means there will be a CLOSED CAPTION for hearing impaired. Finally. :D

10. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Nice package, but this would be a triple dip for me, and I'm sure it's the same (great) prints we saw on the Ultimate Collection. I'd consider if it were Blu-Ray...these really are gorgeous cartoons.

11. KRnut82

KRnut82 The Knight Rider nut.

Since I skipped the Ultimate Superman collection I'll definately pick this up once I save up the money. Dead broke right now. :sweat:

12. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With Warner Home Video releasing the new Two-Disc DVD Collection Max Fleischer's Superman today (talkback), there seems to be no better time to bring this discussion thread back.

SUPERMAN

[​IMG]

Max Fleischer's Superman
    Producers: Max Fleischer, Dave Fleischer
    Directors: Dave Fleisher, I. Sparber, Dan Gordon, Seymour. Kneitel
    Character Design: Joe Shuster
    Music Arrangement: Sammy Timberg

This amazing stranger from the planet Krypton - the Man of Steel, Superman! Possessing remarkable physical strength, Superman fights a neverending battle for Truth and Justice, disguised as a mild-mannered newspaper reporter, Clark Kent. These classic cartoons from 1941 - 1943 include "Superman / Mad Scientist," "The Mechanical Monsters," "Billion Dollar Limited," "The Arctic Giant," "The Bulleteers," "The Magnetic Telescope," "Electric Earthquake," "Volcano," "Terror on the Midway," "The Japoteurs," "Showdown," "The Eleventh Hour," "Destruction , Inc.," "The Mummy Strikes," "Jungle Drums," "Underground World," "Secret Agent."

Discuss all 17 classic cartoons here! Comments?

13. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

For the next 17 days I am going to watch one of these shorts each day and post my brief thoughts on my blog (After which point I will proceed with a daily watching / posting of the New Adventures of Superman, The Adventures of Superboy, Aquaman, etc).

Here are my thoughts on the very first Superman cartoon:

[​IMG]

This first short opened with Superman's origin story which involved something about Krypton, a race of Supermen, and growing up in an orphanage. Next, we learned about his powers, "Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, the infant of Krypton is now the Man of Steel, Superman."

Superman faced a mad scientist who is melting the city with his electrothanasia ray. Yikes. Sounds menacing.

Best Part: A couple of the highlights were Superman catching a falling building, and a sequence where he punched back the the electro-euthanasia ray thing.

Worst Part: For some reason, despite the fairly realistic tone of the episode (aside from all the mad scientists, giant lasers, and Supermans), the scientist had this weird anthropomorphic bird following him around like something that escaped from Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.