1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fleischer Studios/Famous Studios "Superman" Cartoons Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by James Harvey, Nov 9, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment on these classic cartoons!

1. *****

55.0%
  2. ****1/2

30.0%
  3. ****

15.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

This is the official talkback for the Superman cartoons produced by Paramount Pictures and Fleischer Studios, and Famous Studios (last eight cartoons). 17 cartoons originally released in movie theaters from 1941-1943.

SUPERMAN

[​IMG]

Producers: Max Fleischer, Dave Fleischer
    Directors: Dave Fleisher, I. Sparber, Dan Gordon, Seymour. Kneitel
    Character Design: Joe Shuster
    Music Arrangement: Sammy Timberg

This amazing stranger from the planet Krypton - the Man of Steel, Superman! Possessing remarkable physical strength, Superman fights a neverending battle for Truth and Justice, disguised as a mild-mannered newspaper reporter, Clark Kent.

Discuss all 17 classic cartoons here! Comments?

For a complete rundown of these 17 classis cartoons, check out the guide available at Superman Homepage.

2. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

Which cartoon are we discussing here? All of them on one thread? :robin:
    They are pretty generic, like Lois gets in trouble trying to get the story, and Superman has to go and safe her. In all of the episodes, twice in some of them. :shrug:
    The part that I like is the animation and that there are at least different villans in every episode. :anime:
    I think my favorite episode is The Magnetic Telescope or Destruction, Inc.
    Destruction, Inc. was the first episode I saw of the Paramount Superman cartoons. There is something creepy about it, not to mention the crime boss looks a lot like Rupert Thorne. Someone can post two pictures to compare. :eek:

#2 adoptedBatpuppy, Nov 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2006
  3. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

I didn't buy the DVd yet but I remember some of them I used to watch as a kid.These classics are too good to be on one DVd with so little special features if you ask me.I remember the one with the giant gorilla very well.I think that was my favourite.I mean it had a lot of suspense.

4. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

What DVD release are we talking about? There's only been about a zillion public domain Superman DVDs.

5. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

i think the most recent is the Ultimate Fleischer Superman, which contains all 17 shorts...and may or may not have the SNAFUperman parody

btw, these toons still rock to this date.

6. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

7. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

OH DEFINITELY.Great animation btw.

8. Comic Book Boy

Comic Book Boy hero of Toonzone!

These shorts are so iconic and vintage, I think they are amazing. Some of the best hand drawn animation ever. Really interesting to study. Though generic, these shorts really help shape the Superman mythology for me.

My favorie is probably JAP-O-TOURS.

9. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't get me wrong, I like all of them, but my favorite would have to be Showdown, since it is a "little" more story than action.

The scenes with that phony Superman and his boss, LOL.

10. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

I agree. These animation looked nice, but the stories were so dull.

11. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

I love that one too, for the same reason. Also, it was cool to hear Orson Wells as the voice of faux-Supes' boss.

These shorts are so amazing...can you imagine seeing one of them before a 1940s movie in a beautiful art deco theater?

12. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

I have a question.I couldn't find The dvd at HMV so I went to Wallmart and got one that was a vintage classic cover.I hated the cover,they made it look like a kids show and they said free tattoos inside.Anyway the other thing is I noticed that during each of the episodes there is a superman logo that comes on and off.Is this for every DVd or just for this one?

13. MacGyver

MacGyver Active Member

To be honest, I have no idea which DVD you're talking about, since there are literaly hundreds of different versions of these shorts floating around on DVD. But if the logo bothers you that much you should go to anyplace near you that can place special orders on DVDs and order the exact version you linked to, since the only addition to the shorts is the date of the original theatrical release appearing at the bottom of the screen as the short begins. On top of that, you'll never cleaner versions of the shorts. I'm not sure as to whether or not there are Best Buys in Canada, but I know that most locations now have quite a few copies of the exact copy I'm talking about.

But as for the logo, most of the companies that released the shorts had some knid of logo or something during the short. My guess is so that if people bootlegged the shorts you could tell which compaines it was.

14. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Thanks for all the info.The DVd is not like the 2 main versions you would see.This is one which I just found out was made in Taiwan.It doesn't look good at all.I wish I could've found the original version you would find on Amazon.

15. Silly McGooses

Well, I have some DVD versions of these shorts, but I can't wait for the upcoming 14-disc Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition, which will have the 14 restored shorts, plus Snafuperman, and the Looney Tunes shorts which spoof the Supermans.

16. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

14 restored shorts? You meant 17 right?

17. Silly McGooses

18. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Btw guys on Bryan Singer's "The amazing story of Superman" I saw The part about World War 2 where they showed Hitler (at least he looked like him) animated in Fleischer style.Which cartooon was it from?

19. Nobuyuki sama

Nobuyuki sama Simply Irresponsible

"Jungle Drums", most likely. (cartoon #15)

20. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Yes it is.He appears at the end.thanks alot.